Does Foligno Get A Hearing For This "Move" on Myers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Because "basic physics" DUH!

Love the pseudo intellectuals throwing out their perceived superior knowledge only to embarrass themselves.
It's literally as if none has ever gotten off the couch and applied their perceived knowledge of physics in the real world.

Armchair physics, where hooks, uppercuts and counter force doesn't exist.. only "linear momentum".
Love it!
Ok, so tell me what happens to his original momentum when he grabs onto Myers with his left arm? It has to keep going forward because nothing has acted on him to stop it. It does however now have an axis of rotation through his wrist and elbow joint of his left arm.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Foligno deliberately punched him in the back of the knee. I rewatched the video at least a dozen times. Looking to see if maybe Foligno’s stick getting caught on Myers’ left leg caused Foligno’s body to twist and right arm to accelerate. I don’t see how physics would explain anything other then Foligno deliberately punching Myers in the back of the knee.

What’s the DoPS standard for something like that? I don’t know, we rarely see something like this happen.

Hockey play vs non-hockey play is big with this iteration of player safety. I think if they decide it's clear enough he was punching to try and take out the knee it would fall under non-hockey play and probably give the same 3 games Kadri got. I can still see them letting the whole thing slide based on "not sure what his intent was".

R3DDRAG0N

Beaver Mafia
Aug 25, 2013
Winnipeg
Haha when Myers got hurt I jokingly said in my head " I bet there will be a thread about this in that goofy hfboards" then thought.... nah....and if so it better not be by a jets fan......Jesus every little nuisance in every game is a thread on here. Jets fan obviously and I say who knows and who cares let's keep playing and see who wins.....there will be some saying trying to injure and some saying not but guess what, no matter how you frame, discuss or analysis you won't convince the other half.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Hockey play vs non-hockey play is big with this iteration of player safety. I think if they decide it's clear enough he was punching to try and take out the knee it would fall under non-hockey play and probably give the same 3 games Kadri got. I can still see them letting the whole thing slide based on "not sure what his intent was".
Pretty sure this thread has discussed this more that the DoPS will. Hell, they probably already have viewed it and simply moved on, nothing to see here.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Dude, if I am holding on to something with my left hand it does not take away my ability to throw a hook with my right hand. He engages his torso to put a lot of force into that. My other sport is MMA that's not the first right hook I've seen. FOr your explanation to work Foligno would have to be skating at like 40 mph.
If he creates a force with his torso, then why do we see no spinal rotation at his torso to cause the motion? Why at the same time do we see his left wrist and elbow go into large degrees of flexion as opposed to the instance he grabbed on?

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg

They'll let it slide, but since when does anyone go from blocking a shot to finishing a check in that situation as the puck is heading towards their net? There's intent there punch or no punch, and especially finishing a check below the opponent's waist. Dangerous play by a guy who is clearly on a mission that has nothing to do with a black disc. Headshot on Trouba was worse about 5 minutes into the game, charge with no body contact, all head. Couple times the Jets literally fed Foligno the puck on a platter in their own end and he chose to run a player into the boards instead.

This is a pissed off partisan post.

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
Ok, so tell me what happens to his original momentum when he grabs onto Myers with his left arm? It has to keep going forward because nothing has acted on him to stop it. It does however now have an axis of rotation through his wrist and elbow joint of his left arm.

Look at Myers body before his knee is punched into the boards. His body is pulled down. Therefore Foligno clearly applied enough force to pull him down, which in return throws your "linear momentum" theory completely overboard. Still waiting on how you are explaining away his right arm accelerating at a much faster rate and also generating more force than the initial set of motion.

Your "linear" momentum can only increase gradually by using the laws of physics, it does not generate more speed and force as expected by those same laws.
You are the poster child for Pronger physics here.

I'll continue amusing myself on your ramblings from a distance because, contrary to your believe, almost everyone else appears to have a much better grasps on "basic physics" than what you have showed us here.
I really hope you didn't go to college for this. My Prof would be ashamed of his teaching methods if THAT is what I applied here.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
@McFlyingV You do see those things. Look at the video. If that was just a redirection of momentum there's no way he generates that kind of force unless he was moving at a high rate of speed. He wasn't he just fell. On the way down decided to take out Myers. Whatever we're probably not going to see eye to eye are we. I'm going for a damn walk with my dog now sick of this.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
How on earth do you not understand how physics would create a rotational force in this scenario?

It could create a small amount of rotational force, but nothing like what we see in the video. There is also the matter that his shoulder and arm accelerate though to impact Myers knee. Rotational force cannot cause this.

Reactions: IamNotADancer

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
He just looks like he's giving Myers the ol' Rene Rancourt post-anthem salute. Nothing to see here!

tenor.gif

Reactions: Eyeseeing

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
If he creates a force with his torso, then why do we see no spinal rotation at his torso to cause the motion? Why at the same time do we see his left wrist and elbow go into large degrees of flexion as opposed to the instance he grabbed on?

But what about gravity and the weight of the butt end of the stick?!?!:sarcasm:

Reactions: McFlyingV

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

No chance it’s on par with Kadri.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Look at Myers body before his knee is punched into the boards. His body is pulled down. Therefore Foligno clearly applied enough force to pull him down, which in return throws your "linear momentum" theory completely overboard. Still waiting on how you are explaining away his right arm accelerating at a much faster rate and also generating more force than the initial set of motion.

Your "linear" momentum can only increase gradually by using the laws of physics, it does not generate more speed and force as expected by those same laws.
You are the poster child for Pronger physics here.

I'll continue amusing myself on your ramblings from a distance because, contrary to your believe, almost everyone else appears to have a much better grasps on "basic physics" than what you have showed us here.
I really hope you didn't go to college for this. My Prof would be ashamed of his teaching methods if THAT is what I applied here.
When did I say anything about his linear momentum increasing? I said he created an angular velocity on his body by grabbing on with his left arm. The majority of his rotational movement comes from his left arm going from fully extended at the elbow, and neutral at the wrist, to being in a highly flexed position.

His linear momentum continues forward, he just now has a rotational momentum as well.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
@McFlyingV You do see those things. Look at the video. If that was just a redirection of momentum there's no way he generates that kind of force unless he was moving at a high rate of speed. He wasn't he just fell. On the way down decided to take out Myers. Whatever we're probably not going to see eye to eye are we. I'm going for a damn walk with my dog now sick of this.
All you need to do is watch his left arm at the elbow and wrist joint to see where his high degree of rotation came from. He was also moving at a much higher speed than the original slow motion video shows, and that is seen in the other angle that was posted.

Teppo

Mar 3, 2008
At the very worst, Foligno intentionally punched Myers in the knee - not very hard, no wind up, and with his glove on. I bet I could find 20 cases in this game where players from either team, intentionally punch an opposing player in the head/face with more force than Foligno. The outrage here is because Myers fell awkwardly and injured his leg. Had that not happened, nobody would have any problem with what happened.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
It could create a small amount of rotational force, but nothing like what we see in the video. There is also the matter that his shoulder and arm accelerate though to impact Myers knee. Rotational force cannot cause this.
Sure it can because its acting at multiple joints. This isn't a simple concept of an object that has one axis of rotation. Every joint in the body is an axis of rotation. If the only axis of rotation was the one at his centre of mass then I would agree with you, but its not.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Coach Maurice clearly didn't like what Foligno did. Still, the Jets probably prefer that a plug like Foligno stays in the lineup. If they beat the Wild it'll be with speed and skill, which Foligno lacks.

Still, I think Foligno might want to be aware of when #33 is on the ice for the Jets.
Byfugien would get tuned faster than Laine's violin

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
So what produced that motion then when so little motion actually occurred through his right shoulder and elbow joint?
If there were motion in his shoulder and elbow I'd be more include to think it was an out of control fall, that would be a natural reaction. Having them stay locked like that while his core twisted is consistent with a deliberate punch.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
If there were motion in his shoulder and elbow I'd be more include to think it was an out of control fall, that would be a natural reaction. Having them stay locked like that while his core twisted is consistent with a deliberate punch.
I'm speaking of his left arm which is grabbing onto Myers. Watch the video start to finish again. We see that when he reaches out to grab Myers his elbow is almost completely extended. By the time he makes contact with the knee we see his elbow is almost 90 degrees flexed. We still haven't accounted for any rotational changes at his wrist joint. How many degrees would you say that he swings from the moment of contact, until the point that he makes contact with the knee? Maybe 90-100 degrees?

Now, look at his left shoulder joint position. It doesn't change much. That means the rest of his body is relatively rigid and rotating about his elbow and wrist joint. If his elbow rotates 90 degrees, then his nearly fixed body also needs to rotate 90 degrees.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad