Does Foligno Get A Hearing For This "Move" on Myers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
You claim there's a punch, yet his elbow stays flexed at 90 degrees the entire clip. Yes grabbing onto his left arm caused the rest of his body to swing toward Myers, thats pretty simple physics.
you ever heard of the uppercut or hook?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Can't make much out from the corner cam. It seemed out watching it. I have no idea how DoPS dopes do their job, but since it seems everything has a camera angle attached to it, thought it might merit some debate.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Can't make much out from the corner cam. It seemed out watching it. I have no idea how DoPS dopes do their job, but since it seems everything has a camera angle attached to it, thought it might merit some debate.
It shows angular momentum. When you get swung around it accelerates you.

Reactions: DaNaultinus

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
you ever heard of the uppercut or hook?
Now you're reaching. That would require more than ~10-20 degrees of horizontal adduction at the shoulder joint, which is about all you could make the case for occurring in this scenario. If that second clip that was posted wasn't enough to help you better understand physics, then I'm not sure anything will. Go grab onto something with your left hand while falling and see what happens to the rest of your body.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
Now you're reaching. That would require more than ~10-20 degrees of horizontal adduction at the shoulder joint, which is about all you could make the case for occurring in this scenario. If that second clip that was posted wasn't enough to help you better understand physics, then I'm not sure anything will. Go grab onto something with your left hand while falling and see what happens to the rest of your body.
I'm not the one writing a 10 line defense to a pretty obvious cheap shot... so I'd revise the 'reaching' statement

Reactions: Scheifelaine

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
first cut up clip shows he never comes close to extending the arm. It stays fixed at 90 degrees. The corner clip shows angular momentum, how his right shoulder by laws of physics will get accelerated in the fall due to the left arm clutching Myers as he's going down.

The two combine for an obvious "accident" conclusion.

Reactions: McFlyingV

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
It took me a while to even catch what was going on but after looking closer it becomes very clear that this was a blatant punch to the knee. For those saying that "he was falling down trying to brace himself" I have a suspicion that you might not be normal or a stuntman because regular people (and to an extend I count athletes as such) brace themselves for impact and try to use their hands to soften the fall by stretching them out towards the point of impact. Never seen people trying to soften falls with their elbows.
At first I thought he was holding his stick with both hands and it looked awkward because he wanted to be in control of his stick and not get called for high sticking or associated penalties, but his right arm simply does a punching motion towards the knee.
Completely intentional.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
This Jet fan says no. While the video looks like he tried to punch Myers in the knee. Who does that if their intent is to injure? It is much more likely that this is a hockey play where one player gets injured. If this was a knee on knee or a slash to the knee that is one thing but a player that is falling down would have the ability to think as he is falling that he can injure a player by punching his knee is insane.

Hockey play.

Hope Myers is ok because the Jets need him.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
It took me a while to even catch what was going on but after looking closer it becomes very clear that this was a blatant punch to the knee. For those saying that "he was falling down trying to brace himself" I have a suspicion that you might not be normal or a stuntman because regular people (and to an extend I count athletes as such) brace themselves for impact and try to use their hands to soften the fall by stretching them out towards the point of impact. Never seen people trying to soften falls with their elbows.
At first I thought he was holding his stick with both hands and it looked awkward because he wanted to be in control of his stick and not get called for high sticking or associated penalties, but his right arm simply does a punching motion towards the knee.
Completely intentional.
What you fail to recognize is that he already braced his fall by grabbing onto Myers with his left arm and landing on both his knees. You can blame him for the grab, but the contact with the knee is a direct result of him grabbing on with his left arm.

Reactions: TaLoN

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
first cut up clip shows he never comes close to extending the arm. It stays fixed at 90 degrees. The corner clip shows angular momentum, how his right shoulder by laws of physics will get accelerated in the fall due to the left arm clutching Myers as he's going down.

Nah, it's a sophisticated uppercut/hook.
We don't call him Dr. Hook aka Prof. Knee for nothing.

Reactions: NotYou and 2Pair

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Completely intentional.
This is the best one yet. Nice work

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
What you fail to recognize is that he already braced his fall by grabbing onto Myers with his left arm and landing on both his knees. You can blame him for the grab, but the contact with the knee is a direct result of him grabbing on with his left arm.

Right, none of us have any idea about physics. Him grabbing his arm actually makes it more likely that this was a punch to the knee because he had control of his body for the most part, therefore the reflex to brace outwards wasn't necessary.

Your condescension and utter ignorance is refreshing really.

NotYou

Sep 21, 2014

I think there's some extension of the elbow then he hits myers. That's a reflex that happens in the spinal cord though. What he sees and what he wants to do has nothing to do with it. These two areas of the nervous system don't interact in this reaction. Unless of course it was an elaborate rouse by the best athlete in the planet, Marcus foligno, and he had planned the whole time

Last edited:

Jerts

Mar 5, 2015
Winnipeg
It's probably an intentional punch to the knee however it's too difficult to gauge the intent. The reason it's difficult to gauge the intent is that it is so far away from a "hockey play". Like - can you imagine if someone intentionally tried to injure a player in that fashion? It would be embarrassing to have him on your hockey team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad