Does Foligno Get A Hearing For This "Move" on Myers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Ten pages about a nothing incident. The jailhouse lawyers in Winnipeg would lose their minds if they played a genuinely dirty team like the '07 Ducks in the playoffs.

Yeah. Jets are capable of going toe to toe in this type of game with our size and depth. I don't get why Jets fans are complaining about playoff reffing. If favours our team style big time lol

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
So if somebody is skating with the puck and somebody is going for a big open ice hit, and the player with the puck avoids him, that permits the hitter to stick out his elbow and hit him in the head? Or launch himself in the direction of the player, hitting his head with his shoulder?

And me you bud.
Well, that would be an elbowing penalty. Are you f***ing serious with this? It isn't that hard.

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
Aw why though. That was good and correct.

I got sucked into a rabbit hole of make believe physics yesterday and I don't intend on doing this again today. Let him figure out himself how silly it looks thinking that it's "okay and legal to elbow players in the head when they try to avoid contact".

To give you an analogy, I was always a geography buff and started out very young reading encyclopedias trying to memorize borders and flags. So one day, as a 10 or so year old mind you, I thought I could hang with adults as they were talking about geopolitics, I think it was when they were in talks about creating the European Union, after the wall came down.
When I heard that they were talking about Sweden, Norway, Denmark and Finland it sort of confused me because I thought I had read in an Atlas that those countries are "Scandinavian" countries, so I in my infinite and very infantile wisdom proclaim that those countries could never be part of the EU because they form Scandinavia. They looked and smiled at me and I was so proud to have contributed something to an adult conversation.

Well needless to say it was pretty embarrassing to find out how silly it made me look and that's what you need to aim for here, let them talk, let them be wrong, let them think they are correct. Eventually, one day they'll come around and feel the shame... or they'll continue to look silly... either way, you can't win nor lose conversations like this, so it's best to just stay out of it.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Well, that would be an elbowing penalty. Are you ****ing serious with this? It isn't that hard.

Are you? And I agree, it isn't. You seem to be getting a little worked up bud, let's just step back a bit and you can calm down.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
I got sucked into a rabbit hole of make believe physics yesterday and I don't intend on doing this again today. Let him figure out himself how silly it looks thinking that it's "okay and legal to elbow players in the head when they try to avoid contact".

To give you an analogy, I was always a geography buff and started out very young reading encyclopedias trying to memorize borders and flags. So one day, as a 10 or so year old mind you, I thought I could hang with adults as they were talking about geopolitics, I think it was when they were in talks about creating the European Union, after the wall came down.
When I heard that they were talking about Sweden, Norway, Denmark and Finland it sort of confused me because I thought I had read in an Atlas that those countries are "Scandinavian" countries, so I in my infinite and very infantile wisdom proclaim that those countries could never be part of the EU because they form Scandinavia. They looked and smiled at me and I was so proud to have contributed something to an adult conversation.

Well needless to say it was pretty embarrassing to find out how silly it made me look and that's what you need to aim for here, let them talk, let them be wrong, let them think they are correct. Eventually, one day they'll come around and feel the shame... or they'll continue to look silly... either way, you can't win nor lose conversations like this, so it's best to just stay out of it.

Yeah, good call. Wisdom received.

Reactions: IamNotADancer

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
There is nothing here, guy trying to block a shot and then get to the guy to finish a check. Game is super fast, faster than 99% of people on this forum can fathom/relate to. If ANYTHING, call an interference for making contact with him after rid of the puck...but suspension? Is this where hockey is going? I admit if Foligno had gotten Trouba's head in the first hit, that would have been a big deal...but he got his stick. The issue with Myers was just a messed up play with a crappy result...there have been worse cross checks and hits with worse intent throughout the series by both teams because, you know, playoffs.

Ripper

Sep 19, 2006
Foligno has been running around and playing highly suspect " hockey" all series. Earlier in game 3 he took a full on 20 foot run at a Jet DMan trying to put him through the endboards, he should have been handled then, and this wasn't the first time. Then he "questionably" takes out the Jets top DMan in this series, coincidence.....I doubt it. What is more concerning is that in a game that was pretty well over the Jets didn't take the opportunity to return the favour. It was the perfect time to set the tone and let the Wild know that their shenanigans will not be tolerated. Game 4 I hope, sees the Jets seek redemption for Meyers and Perrault. Heads up Foligno- you too Dumba :)

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
Adam Lowry also said it. Is he also lying and biased in favour of Minnesota?

Just a tip, without judging your opinion either way. The argument from authority never works well. I'll trust my own eyes before I trust somebody else telling me "that's the way it is because I said so".

Reactions: Hulide

CarlWinslow

@hiphopsicles
Jan 25, 2010
Winnipeg
Just a tip, without judging your opinion either way. The argument from authority never works well. I'll trust my own eyes before I trust somebody else telling me "that's the way it is because I said so".

Except you are watching from your couch. The multiple opinions, which are all the same, are from ice level and from people one both sides who know the people involved.

But yes, I'm sure your all seeing eyes know better.

Reactions: TaLoN

DaNaultinus

The Human Fund Donor
Mar 25, 2013
Arguments from authority only work if the "authority" has a clear, logical, evident reason as to why X should be the case. In this scenario, I'll take Lowry seeing the play directly in front of his bench over a slow-motion replay perspective from a biased fan.

CarlWinslow

@hiphopsicles
Jan 25, 2010
Winnipeg
Foligno has been running around and playing highly suspect " hockey" all series. Earlier in game 3 he took a full on 20 foot run at a Jet DMan trying to put him through the endboards, he should have been handled then, and this wasn't the first time. Then he "questionably" takes out the Jets top DMan in this series, coincidence.....I doubt it. What is more concerning is that in a game that was pretty well over the Jets didn't take the opportunity to return the favour. It was the perfect time to set the tone and let the Wild know that their shenanigans will not be tolerated. Game 4 I hope, sees the Jets seek redemption for Meyers and Perrault. Heads up Foligno- you too Dumba :)

Except the Jet players don't seem to think the hit was dirty.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

And Wheeler did the same to Dumba in game 2. Well, it was the sideboards anyways. Both good hockey plays.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
The point isn't to believe Adam Lowry or anyone else over your own senses and judgement. The point is that it's possible to see this as a fluke without being biased against the Jets/in favor of the Wild.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Sucks when you realize that the othert team can take runs too, doesn't it? Let me guess, guys like Copp, Chiarot, and Lowry are just playing tough hardnosed hockey?

123TripleDoge

Nov 24, 2014
I'll let them know Ripper said to, maybe then they'll listen

Drewcifer

Oct 10, 2006
Minneapolis
Posters on this forum need to get it into their heads that something they see in extreme slow motion is usually unintentional. I'm not just talking about this incident, it happens over and over here. Hockey is an extremely fast game. People are constantly ascribing malicious intent to things that players could never actually pull off if they tried.

That clip is how long in real time? A quarter of a second? We chop up tiny bits of film like it is the Zapruter Film. Foglino decided to take a swing between starting to fall and hitting the ice? Get real, the human body and brain don't work like that.

Last edited:

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
I can't believe how many people actually think Foligno is coordinated enough to pull a targeted hit like that at full speed, when the guy barely manages to have the coordination enough to pull off a passable 4th line role.

Looks like his stick was jammed, it popped loose, and his prying leverage he was trying suddenly had no resistance, thus the swing forward of his stick hand.
Are you his attorney? :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad