Does Dubinsky get bought out by July 1?

Does Dubinsky get bought out by July 1, 2019?

• Total voters

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
He's been a negative asset on the ice, regardless of contract. It makes sense to keep him another year so that we don't stick ourselves with a four year buyout, and hurt ourselves when we might need the money.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Just a reminder that this happened. Note the time and score.

I have heard people say "double deflection" as if that takes away anything from the actual play or to make it seem lucky. The work by Dubinsky to fight and work his way into a danger area, and then actually get a very nice tip on the puck should not be downplayed in any way.

Sure its just 1 goal, but the play of Dubinsky down the stretch the last couple weeks of the regular season and against BOTH Tampa and Boston should not be forgotten.

There is a role "in the room" AND on the ice for Dubi. While not $5.5 million worth, his PK/defensive work and faceoff ability is a legit asset to the team. The, "Dubinsky isn't good defensively anymore" narrative is BOGUS.

Reactions: LoveCBJ

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Sorry, outsider here, who didn't realize how far Dubi's play had slipped until I just looked at his stat line from the past two seasons.

What happened to him?

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Sorry, outsider here, who didn't realize how far Dubi's play had slipped until I just looked at his stat line from the past two seasons.

What happened to him?

1. He was never a fast player,but age has further taken away his speed.

2. He had a series of back (?) injuries and an eye injury that kept him out a long time. He can no longer play with the same recklessness as he used to.

3. Team got better around him, so he slid further and further down the depth chart. Completely lost PP time.

4. Something happened off the ice 2 years ago. Nobody has been able to pin exactly what happened, but it was heavily hinted by our media (and neither confirmed or denied by Jarmo) to be behavioral or substance abuse related.

5. With his play style, players like him will always dwindle faster than a regular player.

He's still a useful utility guy (faceoffs, PK, 4th line physical duty) but that's about it.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I’ve resigned myself to concluding carrying his contract for four years is somehow worse than carrying him and his poor performance for one more year.

m8n8

Oct 31, 2011
I haven't been able to find much current info on Dubinsky's injuries.

If he can, will/should he come back this year (for stretch run, playoff push, playoffs, and possibly his last CBJ/NHL games played forever)?

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I haven't been able to find much current info on Dubinsky's injuries.

If he can, will/should he come back this year (for stretch run, playoff push, playoffs, and possibly his last CBJ/NHL games played forever)?
Its entirely possible his career is over. He has nagging wrist injury (IIRC) that's not healing. Its more than likely he's LTIR'd and being put on the shelf for the remainder of his contract.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Its entirely possible his career is over. He has nagging wrist injury (IIRC) that's not healing. Its more than likely he's LTIR'd and being put on the shelf for the remainder of his contract.

Yeah pretty much this. I think Dubi is done. At his age and with his skill set you can't really afford to miss significant time, and with his dwindling speed he was barely able to keep up when he was playing last year. Now he's sat on the shelf for almost a full calendar year, is probably out of shape (or at best not in hockey playing shape), and likely lost another step.

I don't think Dubi plays ever again. Which is sad. He was a good soldier for us and I will remember him fondly.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
I have a bad memory so maybe I'm wrong, but wasn't he doing well this past preseason and once the beginning of the regular season rolled around his wrist injury flaired up?

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
I have a bad memory so maybe I'm wrong, but wasn't he doing well this past preseason and once the beginning of the regular season rolled around his wrist injury flaired up?

Thats what I thought honestly. We didn't hear too much about the wrist prior (aside from having surgery) and he looked ok in pre-season, only to all of a sudden disappear from the team completely to probably never play again. Really bizarre, and nobody has real answers.

Reactions: thebus88

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad