Does Draft Position Matter?

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
:shakehead

I don't agree.. Guys on the ice are playing to win.. and anyone who is called their fan should root for them at any circumstances, otherwise he is not a fan

But root for their team also means they can root for them to lose for a better position in the draft as well.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
I don't know... if you will cheer for Colorado next night I doubt you are

So is someone not a fan of the Coyotes if they cheer for another team to win if it helps the Coyotes either get into the playoffs or help their position in the playoffs?

Wanic

Jul 21, 2010
Karlovy Vary
But root for their team also means they can root for them to lose for a better position in the draft as well.
If you root for lose.. you simply root for other team than Coyotes are.. and that is not what players deserve ... and it is very sad we have to even talk about it

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
If you root for lose.. you simply root for other team then Coyotes are.. and that is not what players deserve ... and it is very sad we have to even talk about it

What players "deserve" and get are 2 different things. Considering how pathetic the team has played overall this season, this team deserves more boos than anything else.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
What the...????

Chicago BlackHawks:

Jonathan Toews, 3rd overall
Patrick Kane, 1st overall

You seem to be grasping at straws.

If the Yotes had drafted Toews and Kane would they still be on the team, or would we have lost them long ago because we couldn't pay them?

Howler Scores

Mar 13, 2011
Maricopa County
A natural instinct in this case is to root for the best possible situation next year since this one is over. However if you serve customers and they traveled for an hour, paid for parking, brought a family, paid for food and drinks, want to be entertained for 3 hours, then you owe it to them. So win all the home games (to shut up the annoying guy next to you) and throw LOL out on the road. A winning culture is just as important.

zz

Nov 1, 2006
If the Yotes had drafted Toews and Kane would they still be on the team, or would we have lost them long ago because we couldn't pay them?

It is ALWAYS cheapest to draft an impact player. You get the benefit of years of RFA, arbitration etc... Even in the case of an offer sheet for someone you can't afford, the compensation is enormous.

And to answer your question, could we find $ 6.5 M to pay Toews, or $ 6.3M to pay Kane? Well, we can afford $ 5.3M for Doan, $ 5.25M for Yandle, and $ 5.5M for OEL, so yes, we could. Furthermore, do you think any of these guys are the in the same category as Toews / Kane? Ekman Larsson is the only one with that potential, but even he is not there yet.

Last edited:

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009

The Coyotes were in no position to draft Kane or Towes and neither would have "been lost long ago" since they would have been RFA's and the previous CBA made it harder for any RFA to move onto another team. In Turris case he was lucky enough to get traded despite the fact that GMDM could have let his punk Oprah watching ass rot as long as he was still property of the Coyotes until the age of 27.

DesertDawg

Mar 6, 2002
Superstition Mts
ridefree.net
So is it more important for the present or the future of the franchise? I guess that is the question being asked! IMO, right now it's about the ping pong balls and 11th or 12th position isn't going to matter.

I guess this fan wants a competitive team for next season and, at the moment, don't see how it's possible with the current roster. So cheering for the team to win meaningless games doesn't make sense to me, it's like cheering for mediocity. But cheering for individuals does (including the players on my wish list).
I also don't see why any free agents would want to sign with the franchise under their current situation. The only option is through the draft.

I also don't want players putting in 110% and putting themselves in harm's way.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ

If the Yotes and Toews and Kane, I'm pretty sure our attendance and ownership issues would be closer to non-existent. It's very easy to market dynamic offensive forwards, that type of talent garners an audience pretty darn easily. Increased attendance = better franchise value = higher payroll.

And you forget that even though we're ownerless right now, we're still able to give Yandle, OEL, and Doan 5 million+ multi-year contracts, and they're not in the same league talent-wise. We could've easily afforded to resign the BFFs in the alternate universe in which we drafted them once they became RFAs under the old CBA.

PHX FireBirds18

Jul 20, 2006
I remember at the end of 09 there were several yotes fans that were pissed that Tikhonov won the shootout in the last game for us. It dropped us from the 5th spot to the 6th. At the time I believe a lot of people really wanted Brayden Schenn or one of the other young forwards. The extra point put us out of the consensus top 5 at the time. I'd say that ended up working out for the better. I'm thinking Maloney would have taken OEL at 5 anyways. Me personally in the past I've rooted for better draft positioning, but because of all the uncertainty, I just can't root against them now in what may be their final games.

Haven't followed the draft like I have in years past, but Lazar sounds like he might be good fit. The idea of Samuelsson-Lazar-Brown is a real intriguing line down the road. 3 big bodied guys with excellent shots, responsible defensively, and has some real nastiness as well.

Wanic

Jul 21, 2010
Karlovy Vary
It's not about you and me... it's about attitude... praying for lose (even if it's more rewarding) has nothing to do with sport :shakehead .. and to be honest, I think the true fan shouldn't disrespect his loved players like this .... sry. my mind just can't get it....

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
It's not about you and me... it's about attitude... praying for lose (even if it's more rewarding) has nothing to do with sport :shakehead .. and to be honest, I think the true fan shouldn't disrespect his loved players like this .... sry. my mind just can't get it....

Some people are capable of feeling more than one way at any given time.

Feb 12, 2003
I only care if the Coyotes win when it counts. If the Coyotes have a losing season when they are out of the playoffs then I just enjoy the game for what it is and I enjoy watching players develop. It doesn't matter to me if they win a game here or there, but I am not disappointed by a loss as long as I see progress.

Everyone has different expectations, but my expectations are if they are a playoff team I want to see them win as much as possible so that they can compete for a spot as well as a division/conference championship. If they are not a winning team it's all about the future to me. I don't really watch the vets like Doan or Morris as much as I watch the young guys like OEL or Boedker.

Even though this season has been disappointing because it's not been a playoff year, it's still been enjoyable to me to see guys like Boedker really developing into a player and OEL playing like he did this year. A guy like Klinkhammer goes a long way, coming out of nowhere and performing like he has. Ochocinco has been interesting to watch, there are a number of smaller stories that make the season more interesting to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad