Olympics: Does Claude Giroux still make Canadian Olympic team?

Girouxtiful

Jul 17, 2012
Stamkos-Crosby-St.Louis
Nash-Tavares-Giroux
Duchene-Toews-Perry
Carter-Getzlaf-Couture

Giroux has looked good, despite the stats. I think things turn around soon. I am biased. I can totally see why it's a discussion based on the play of guys like Duchene, Spezza, Benn, Lucic, etc. but imo he belongs on Canada.

SmokeyDuck

Jul 27, 2010
Anaheim, CA
Stamkos-Crosby-St.Louis
Nash-Tavares-Giroux
Duchene-Toews-Perry
Carter-Getzlaf-Couture

Giroux has looked good, despite the stats. I think things turn around soon. I am biased. I can totally see why it's a discussion based on the play of guys like Duchene, Spezza, Benn, Lucic, etc. but imo he belongs on Canada.

Switch Toews and Getzlaf

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
I was thinking about this last night and I think he does because he can play wing and is a RH shot. Carter, Little, Eberle, who else is a RH shot besides the obvious Perry? Considering it's on larger ice, will they take a speedy winger like Hall over Perry? I have no idea how to pair these guys because they are all basically top 6 guys but here goes...

Stamkos-Crosby-MSL
Duchene-Tavares-Giroux
Benn-Getzlaf-Perry
Couture-Toews-Eberle

There are going to be some fantastic players left off either way...

Seguin, Hall, Bergeron, Staal, Richards, Carter etc.

Last edited:

Clown Baby*

See how he's playing closer to the Olympics, and make a judgement call then. Until that point, it's all just speculation. I'd like to see him at RW, if he does make it, though.

UpGoesRupp

Jul 18, 2008
British Columbia
I was thinking about this last night and I think he does because he can play wing and is a RH shot. Carter, Little, Eberle, who else is a RH shot besides the obvious Perry? Considering it's on larger ice, will they take a speedy winger like Hall over Perry? I have no idea how to pair these guys because they are all basically top 6 guys but here goes...

Stamkos-Crosby-MSL
Duchene-Tavares-Giroux
Benn-Getzlaf-Perry
Couture-Toews-Eberle

There are going to be some fantastic players left off either way...

Seguin, Hall, Bergeron, Staal, Richards, Carter etc.

I am a huge fan of a potential Benn-Getzlaf-Perry line. You look at the size of the line and the game they play with Penner... With Benn instead of Penner. Wow. I've been hoping they'd emerge as a dark horse line haha.

ahthorne

Feb 23, 2013
Vancouver
I'll wait and see, but I doubt it at this point. I'd take Giroux as the extra forward if worst comes to worst.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
He makes my team over St. Louis, Benn, E. Staal, Couture, Seguin,

nabbyfan

Oct 4, 2007
Santa Clarita, CA
Giroux has simply played his way off the Olympic team for now. There's a ton of guys who are having excellent seasons and helping their team win night in night out, if he is selected it'll be because he is a big name, not because he deserves to be there. Before this last week or so Marleau was on an absolute tear and probably at least earned a look by Team Canada if he wants to be there. I doubt he makes the team though.

Grounded

Feb 27, 2012
My worry is that he'll play a bit better for the next month or so -- say at a PPG or close-to-it pace -- and that that will persuade Canada to take him when still they really shouldn't. He's played his way off the team, and it should take nothing less than an absolutely huge month for him to play his way back on.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
It depends on how he plays from now until then. If he plays like he did for the first ten games of the season, then he won't make it. If his play picks back up and he looks like the Giroux of the last three years, then he's probably there. His versatility is also a plus for him. He can make the switch to wing better than some of Canada's othe fringe centers.

As a Flyers fan, I'm not sure I even want him to play. They're going to need an incredible second half probably to get to a playoff spot. A healthy/well rested Giroux would be better for that.

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
Give him as many injury free seasons as giroux, he has every potential to prove to be a better player than Giroux.
just so we're clear, what you're saying is, hypothetically duchene has potential to be better. because that's all well and good to say that. but the problem is, team canada isn't building their team on who hypothetically has the potential to be better.

the next while will prove that people were silly to think a 16 game sample size is enough to overrule all giroux has done over the past 4 years. because it's not. players slump, we all know giroux is the real deal so why is such a slump considered a deal breaker for him and not for, say, eric staal? why is duchene's superior 16 games better than giroux's superior 4 years?

giroux has been to the playoffs several times and has concretely proven he brings it when it matters. the same cannot be said for duchene no matter how hot he is right now, no matter how much "potential" he possesses.

There's something about your tone that makes you sound like a mad man whose in a fight against the rest of the world to prove that we're all going to be attacked by a mutant ant army.

in this case, the mutant ant army is a legion of HFboards posters who actually think giroux should not make the team. but hey, if i'm the only one that thinks that's insane, that must make me the batty one right?

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
just so we're clear, what you're saying is, hypothetically duchene has potential to be better. because that's all well and good to say that. but the problem is, team canada isn't building their team on who hypothetically has the potential to be better.

the next while will prove that people were silly to think a 16 game sample size is enough to overrule all giroux has done over the past 4 years. because it's not. players slump, we all know giroux is the real deal so why is such a slump considered a deal breaker for him and not for, say, eric staal? why is duchene's superior 16 games better than giroux's superior 4 years?

giroux has been to the playoffs several times and has concretely proven he brings it when it matters. the same cannot be said for duchene no matter how hot he is right now, no matter how much "potential" he possesses.

in this case, the mutant ant army is a legion of HFboards posters who actually think giroux should not make the team. but hey, if i'm the only one that thinks that's insane, that must make me the batty one right?

It's quite simple. Team Canada is so loaded that they're better off taking players that are currently playing well. It really doesn't make sense to have a slumping Giroux when an emerging and very impressive Duchene looks hungrier for the chance this year. That's just how deep the team goes.

If this was USA, Sweden or Russia (and no disrespect to these countries), he would probably still be a lock because even a slumping Giroux is better than the 5th best American, Russian or Swedish Centre.

Long story short, it would be a mistake for Canada to select Giroux because of his pedigree rather than give other players opportunities.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Can you explain why the Art Ross winner from last year gets bumped by a guy who has 1 goal a month into the season?

Meh. If Crosby hadn't been injured last season he would have finished miles ahead of St. Louis. So no art ross for St. Louis. Would you feel the same way about him if he finished second in scoring? Or would you say he benefited a lot from playing with Stamkos? I wouldn't lose any sleep leaving St. Louis and having Giroux. Giroux's slump will be over and he'll be hot by January.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Do you people really expect him to continue to pace a 41 point season? He will work toward a ppg pace and to do that means that he will start pacing more than a ppg pace.

Just to show what sample size can mean, if Crosby is held pointless in the 3rd period tonight, Giroux and Sid will have the same amount of points over the last 9 games. And Sid plays on a team that is scoring twice as much as the Flyers.

Now that said, Giroux has to show that he deserves it by being that PPG+ player in the next 2 months that he has been in the past.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Meh. If Crosby hadn't been injured last season he would have finished miles ahead of St. Louis. So no art ross for St. Louis. Would you feel the same way about him if he finished second in scoring? Or would you say he benefited a lot from playing with Stamkos? I wouldn't lose any sleep leaving St. Louis and having Giroux. Giroux's slump will be over and he'll be hot by January.

Exactly what has Giroux ever done that St. Louis hasn't done several times? Not to mention what has Giroux done that the other centers haven't or can't? I say this from a logical standpoint because year after year there are great players that get cut from Canada. You can't really get away from it. Canada is far too deep to pick a guy that isn't playing well. In 2006 Canada took Bertuzzi after he went on a bit of a tear just before the team was selected. It should have been painfully obvious that Bertuzzi wasn't the same player anymore and that a player like Crosby was better suited for the open ice.

There are 4 centers that are making this team come hell or high water. Crosby, Toews, Bergeron and Stamkos. Giroux isn't better than either of them. That leaves Tavares, Staal, Getzlaf, M. Richards, Spezza and Giroux as the remaining centers, and that's if you forget Thornton. Not all of them are making the team. The question remains, can he make the team on the wing?

orangecrush8

May 21, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Some of these posts are absolutely ridiculous.

Claude Giroux is slumping, no one can deny that. But people stating he has no chance or that they don't want him are completely outrageous. We're talking about a player who prior to this season has put up 267 points in his previous 251 games. A player who dummied Sid and the Pens in the playoffs. A player who was considered a lock by numerous analysts at the end of last year. Seriously, find me a Team Canada prediction without Giroux on it before this year.

Flash forward to this year. 8 points in 16 games. Yes he's slumping and if he continues it, he wont make the team, but people say he has no chance need a reality check. 16 games of slumping doesn't make someone go from a lock to no chance.

Scotty Pucks

Bring back “Doop” as Flyers Goal Song
Apr 1, 2012
Pennsylvania

Claude Giroux is slumping, no one can deny that. But people stating he has no chance or that they don't want him are completely outrageous. We're talking about a player who prior to this season has put up 267 points in his previous 251 games. A player who dummied Sid and the Pens in the playoffs. A player who was considered a lock by numerous analysts at the end of last year. Seriously, find me a Team Canada prediction without Giroux on it before this year.

Flash forward to this year. 8 points in 16 games. Yes he's slumping and if he continues it, he wont make the team, but people say he has no chance need a reality check. 16 games of slumping doesn't make someone go from a lock to no chance.
This. Thank you...

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009

The margin or error when trying to make Team Canada is very slim. Ovechkin was basically junk for two years and everyone on earth knew he would be playing for Team Russia. But if a guy has a bad slump right before the Olympics and hopes that no other Canadian player is going to pass him on the depth chart, he is going to be disappointed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->