Olympics: Does Claude Giroux still make Canadian Olympic team?

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Duchene didn't take his place, he already had a place. He's just moved up to the top 6:

Duchene - Crosby - Nash
Stamkos - Toews - St. Louis
Couture - Tavares - Getzlaf
Lucic - Bergeron - Benn

Carter/Staal/Kane(although I know he won't make it)

Keith - Weber
Pietrangelo - Doughty
Vlasic – Subban

Hamhuis-Letang

Price
Luongo
Crawford

Getzlaf doesn't do the wing, and he's a pretty safe bet to be one of the four centers.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
I think he's one of those bubble players now. If he picks it up and some of the players streaking start to faulter he will make it on the team.

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
canada has enough depth at forward to not risk taking an underperforming player

way rather take a solid forward like duchene, couture, benn or even lucic rather than giroux at this point

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I still think he makes it based upon reputation but if he continues to struggle he'll make it as an extra and not as a starter.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Since they can't seem to make good Canada teams anymore, I'd bet he does.

Strange. I mean, I agree with the World Juniors and such, those teams selected are horrible year after year (Nathan MacKinnon used as a checker last year?). But Canada won the Gold medal at the 2010 Olympics with pretty much the best possible roster we could bring. With the exception of Stamkos everyone of our best players were there.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I wouldn't have picked Giroux back in the summer either, and still wouldn't. Look, nothing against him, but there are going to be some great Canadian centers NOT on this team. Giroux, Richards and Spezza come to mind immediately. Who knows, one of the likes of Staal, Getzlaf or Tavares may not be there (although I'd find room for them). Crosby, Toews, Bergeron and Stamkos are the only locks at center I think. It's tough to crack this roster up the middle. Always has been. Denis Savard, Ron Francis, Bernie Federko, Pierre Turgeon and Adam Oates never played for Canada at the top level.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Spezza pretty much stole his job at this point. Giroux would have to single-handedly drag Philly back into playoff contention kicking and screaming to make up the ground he's lost.

Carl Carlson

Jan 7, 2009
Not a chance. Unless he has an amazing next couple of months he shouldn't be considered.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Keep the discussion on topic, and don't take swipes at each other. Discuss the post, not the poster.

PhillyFlying

F1eyrS
Sep 15, 2010
Philadelphia
not sure why canada wouldn't want him. if you put him with the kind of talent they have on that roster he is going to be a beast. yeah blahblahblahgoaldroughtblahblah.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I wouldn't leave Giroux off. He's awesome and he's slumping terribly. But so what? He's a two-way threat. Put him with Toews, deadly.

Stamkos Crosby Tavares
Duchene Getzlaf Perry
Giroux Toews Nash(if healthy)
Carter Bergeron M. Richards
E. Staal St. Louis
Lucic Couture

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad