Does Carolina need a shakeup? What kind of shakeup?

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Carolina looked deadly early on. Their advanced stats looked quite promising.

Is this just a down phase in the season, or do you think they need to make some changes?

The roster looks good on paper. I think we all question the goaltending, but the defence is world class and there is high end talent up front.
Roster looks good on what paper? They are team in a rebuild. Their (future) stars still immature and young. Tehy are quite a gew vets and depth players away from a really good roster. They might need a more experienced coach with a wiser approach. Beating the opposition on the shot clock obviously doesn't work in the NHL. If Brind'Amour doesn't learn and adapt they are in for a losing season which might be not the worst thing for them.

tapi

Oct 25, 2009
They need fundamental changes so anything less than a blockbuster trade wont cut it. Aho has to go.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Goalie issues for sure but in the five game losing streak they have scored 1, 2, 3, 0, 1. Aho went from points in 12 straight and not a single minus on his ledger to zero points in this last three and a minus in every game.

Teams make adjustments, right now the adjustment is let another line beat us but it won't be Aho's line.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Their defense has been among the best in the sport at doing it's job over the past few years (suppressing shots)

Their goaltending is terrible, faulting their defensive unit for that is wrong. They'll be okay, I got them making the playoffs.
Yep, the canes defense is amazing. They haven’t had a consistently good starting goalie in a while though. Honestly I would love to see them sign Bobrovsky. Just imagine that.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
I think everyone expected Svechnikov to have a bigger impact straight away. Thats why many were not so upset when Skinner was traded. I wasnt upset that he was traded, but i was upset with the return...you trade a 30 goal scorer u have to get something worth while back.

Carolina did seemingly a lot during offseason, but nothing really changed.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Goaltending....

All they need is an actual goalie

They certainly do need an actual goalie, but they need scoring too. Mrazek who has started 8 games is at 0.880 and McBackup is at 0.884

Having said that, they've only scored 18 goals in their last 10, and 7 in their last 5. You aren't going to win many games with that kind of scoring, even if your goalies are good.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
28th in goals per game
16th in goals against per game
28th in PP%
29th in PK%
30th in Team Save %
Fewest shots against per game in the NHL

Upgrade the goalie. They allow the fewest shots in the league, and are still an average team for goals against despite the 2nd worst save %. If they had even average goaltending, they would probably be top ~6-8 in goals against.

Add another legitimate offensive threat. That should push the goals per game and PP% up.

Add those two things, and it becomes a a pretty legitimate team IMO.

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Hasn't Carolina been a good possession team for years or at least often in the last number of years? I don't have the stats to back it up, but I don't think it's been uncommon for them in recent years to have been a good possession team and not that good overall.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
They traded too much of their offensive depth and didn't get enough back. They traded away lindholm and skinner and got back ferland (who can be great but far too inconsistent at times) and an AHL scratch, and lost Ryan to ufa (though granted most canes fans think that was addition by subtraction, but I digress). They needed to add in the offseason, is simple as that. They were a key forward or two away (and a starting goalie as well) from being a contender, but ownership decided to save money instead. I would not be happy as a canes fan right now.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
If they are interested in Nylander they better be ready to over pay. Theyre the one desperate for offensive help.

Leafs are in no position at all to ask for an overpay. Leafs are the one desperate for D help (which Canes can give them) not to mention Leafs have a deadline with Nyl. Car can go to any other team for a trade if they don’t get Nyl. It’s not like he is the only guy out there.

If leafs want to let him sit if they can’t sign him then sure. That’s one less elite player on their team to worry about. Leafs have next to no leverage in a trade if it comes down to the line before starting to negotiate

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Shot quality isn't reflected in shot quantity. We've seen that with the Flames a lot, last year and this year. If you possess the puck a ton and allow only a few chances, and if those chances always come off turnovers and breakdowns that lead to odd-man rushes, it doesn't matter whether that cross-crease tap-in is the 3rd shot on net or the 33rd shot on net, it's probably going to be in the back of your net.

Like, take last night's game. Turnover leads to a cross-crease tap-in. In that moment, it doesn't matter who was carrying play or who was outCorsiing the other team. If you give up that chance, you will get scored on more often than not (the Blues players also made a great play, so credit where credit is due). Second goal, a 3-on-2 inexplicably turns into a 2-on-1 which turns into a breakaway. If you give up that chance, it doesn't matter who has made the most unblocked shot attempts in the last five minutes, you're probably getting scored on.

Blaming the goalie is just lazy analysis. Stop giving up the chances that eliminate your goalie from being a factor in the game, and success will follow. The Flames finally learned that lesson recently (for now). Hopefully the Canes can soon, too.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus
Jan 29, 2009
Edmonton/Calgary
Shot quality isn't reflected in shot quantity. We've seen that with the Flames a lot, last year and this year. If you possess the puck a ton and allow only a few chances, and if those chances always come off turnovers and breakdowns that lead to odd-man rushes, it doesn't matter whether that cross-crease tap-in is the 3rd shot on net or the 33rd shot on net, it's probably going to be in the back of your net.

Like, take last night's game. Turnover leads to a cross-crease tap-in. In that moment, it doesn't matter who was carrying play or who was outCorsiing the other team. If you give up that chance, you will get scored on more often than not (the Blues players also made a great play, so credit where credit is due). Second goal, a 3-on-2 inexplicably turns into a 2-on-1 which turns into a breakaway. If you give up that chance, it doesn't matter who has made the most unblocked shot attempts in the last five minutes, you're probably getting scored on.

Blaming the goalie is just lazy analysis. Stop giving up the chances that eliminate your goalie from being a factor in the game, and success will follow. The Flames finally learned that lesson recently (for now). Hopefully the Canes can soon, too.

Rittich let it 2 softies against Chicago, as that first goal I think? When it went off his paddle and the Saad goal were pretty brutal.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Teams like Carolina is why I don’t necessarily like advanced stats more specifically Corsi. They literally chuck almost everything at the net, good chance or not. It seems to me to be more of a system as opposed to a stat in which a player should be judged upon.

They need a starting goalie and a bit more offensive firepower. Aho is a terrific centerpiece to build around and Svech as he matures has an immense amount of talent. Their defense is pretty good maybe a tad bit overrated but definitely still towards the top of the league as far as top 4 goes.
LA won 2 Cups doing that.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Leafs are in no position at all to ask for an overpay. Leafs are the one desperate for D help (which Canes can give them) not to mention Leafs have a deadline with Nyl. Car can go to any other team for a trade if they don’t get Nyl. It’s not like he is the only guy out there.

If leafs want to let him sit if they can’t sign him then sure. That’s one less elite player on their team to worry about. Leafs have next to no leverage in a trade if it comes down to the line before starting to negotiate

I don't think the Leafs are desperate for anything. Young team sitting in a top 5 seat right now. We could use defensive help but I don't see the desperation, especially not at the cost of Nylander.

Reactions: TDK88 and Dustin

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.

I don't think that you can say it's lazy analysis - the Canes have the 5th worse sv% on HDCA. There's no question that they need to get more saves on high danger chances, and that means better goaltending. Arizona can attribute much of it's success to Raanta having the 8th best HDSV% while the team is sitting 23rd in HDCA.

Carolina on the other hand is sitting 14th in HDCA but 27th in HDSV%.

Last edited:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I don't think the Leafs are desperate for anything. Young team sitting in a top 5 seat right now. We could use defensive help but I don't see the desperation, especially not at the cost of Nylander.

Where I am sitting, I guess I see it as a rare opportunity rather than desperation.

Not a lot of teams have an asset like that available to spare.

But you're right - they can afford to wait for the right deal if one comes along.

It's not as if young stellar defencemen grow on trees either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad