Does Carolina need a shakeup? What kind of shakeup?

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Carolina looked deadly early on. Their advanced stats looked quite promising.

Is this just a down phase in the season, or do you think they need to make some changes?

The roster looks good on paper. I think we all question the goaltending, but the defence is world class and there is high end talent up front.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Shouldn't their elite defensemen shelter a less than stellar goalie? Their defense can't possibly be overrated.
Their defense has been among the best in the sport at doing it's job over the past few years (suppressing shots)

Their goaltending is terrible, faulting their defensive unit for that is wrong. They'll be okay, I got them making the playoffs.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
all defensemen can do is limit the quantity/quality of chances the goalie has to deal with. they can't force the goalie into making saves. Carolina also lacks finishers up front

Their defense has been among the best in the sport at doing it's job over the past few years (suppressing shots)

Their goaltending is terrible, faulting their defensive unit for that is wrong. They'll be okay, I got them making the playoffs.
haven't watched one game of theirs this year, I'll have to pay more attention. Whos their tandem anyways?

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Definitely they need a shakeup. Tonights loss has to have made it clearer than ever. Just too much imo. And they got some really sweet pieces esp the backend but esp upfront with aho Necas Svech Etc, but tonights loss... yikes

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Ya a decent goalie would probably go a long ways.. but the good news is that Carolina has a stud on defense in Hamilton and Ferland looks like an elite winger.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
So they take a bazillion shots per game, but how many are actually legit scoring chances? The only game I actually watched of them was against the Avs and they badly outshot the Avs only to lose. They never really seemed like much of a threat.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Their forward group isn’t quite good enough yet, to go along with the goaltending.

They just need to be patient. They’re not there yet, nor should they expect to be.

Benedict Kovalchuk

Kovalchuk: A spy?
Jul 19, 2011
CASCADIA NOW
But Halak is now playing lights out and so is Lehner?
Halak generally starts strong on new teams, then fades, then becomes very inconsistent. He needs a lot of starts to get into a groove but he also can't be a goalie you rely on as your unquestioned number one. So you get....Halak. As to Lehner, he's proving me, you, and everybody else wrong. And Carolina still needs a goalie.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Halak generally starts strong on new teams, then fades, then becomes very inconsistent. He needs a lot of starts to get into a groove but he also can't be a goalie you rely on as your unquestioned number one. So you get....Halak. As to Lehner, he's proving me, you, and everybody else wrong. And Carolina still needs a goalie.
So Lehner is proving everyone wrong while Halak is simply having a hot start on a new team?

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
The roster looks good on paper.

It really doesn't IMO. Sure the defense is nice and Aho is great but they don't have a high-end 1st line, not enough secondary scoring and lack finishers.

So they're performing exactly like you'd expect. In every game, but find ways to lose due to lack of finishing ability. Takes a toll on you mentally when you can't find a way to win enough games despite being right there so then they start to panic defensively too when you know you can't let in many if you want to win.

I'd say the Aho line is a 2nd line on a contender. Staal line 3rd line. And then 2x 4th lines. Can't expect much.

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
I haven't watched them enough. Do they just take unscreened shots from the point non-stop? They literally haven't been outshot this season and averaging +15 in SOG differential.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Teams like Carolina is why I don’t necessarily like advanced stats more specifically Corsi. They literally chuck almost everything at the net, good chance or not. It seems to me to be more of a system as opposed to a stat in which a player should be judged upon.

They need a starting goalie and a bit more offensive firepower. Aho is a terrific centerpiece to build around and Svech as he matures has an immense amount of talent. Their defense is pretty good maybe a tad bit overrated but definitely still towards the top of the league as far as top 4 goes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad