Does Carey Price win another Vezina Trophy in his career?

Will Carey Price win another Vezina trophy in his career?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Carey Price just turned 33 years old. I know this forum is often split on where he should rank among goalies in league today - but I don't think even his biggest detractors have ever really criticized his talent or ability - they usually just rank him lower because of consistency (ie if you don't have a good season, you go down). I bring this up because I think he just proved this summer that when on his game, he's still arguably the best, or certainly among the best in the game. So putting together a vezina-worthy season still seems plausible at his age.

Goalies have been very much up and down in the past few years. Great year, followed by a so-so one, and so on. And the Vezina trophy race has probably been the most unpredictable one among trophies.

For historical comparison, goalies who have won a Vezina recently at ages 33 and over:

Rinne won at 35
Thomas won at 34 and 36
Brodeur won at 34 and 35
Hasek won at 33, 34 and 36.

So in the past 22 seasons, 8x has a goalie aged 33 and over won a Vezina, or approx. 36% of the time. So although age is definitely an important factor - it certainly doesn't appear to be a deal breaker.

So what's your prediction - does Carey Price win another Vezina trophy in his career, or no?

Eegs

Jan 9, 2018
BC
I voted yes as a homer vote.

That said, he has the best chance he has in a while I think. He looked good in the Playins/Playoffs, and he's got the best backup he's had in years which should allow for him to be more rested.

I also think on paper, the Habs look to be quite improved on D, so that helps too.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
I voted no, but I would not be surprised if he did. Vezina is a very volatile trophy.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Voted no, but wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see him do it. Goalies can be frequently great at his age and beyond.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
No, Vasilevsky should win it for the foreseeable future on a regular basis. He has been blessed to be part of the Lightning. He is going to go down as an all time great because of the team he is on. Most goalies will play their entire career and never play on a team half as good as the Bolts.

If roles were reversed, Price would probably have 3-4 Vezina trophies already.

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
No, Vasilevsky should win it for the foreseeable future on a regular basis. He has been blessed to be part of the Lightning. He is going to go down as an all time great because of the team he is on. Most goalies will play their entire career and never play on a team half as good as the Bolts.

If roles were reversed, Price would probably have 3-4 Vezina trophies already.
Im not sure why you think he will win it every year just because he plays for the Lightning when he didn't even win it this year and the guy who did plays on a team with terrible defense. Vasilevsky only had a .917 and 2.56 GAA this year playing on a team you claim should make him an all time great, that is not very good numbers for an all time great so its pretty clear he isn't going to have a great year every year. He will probably win one at some point, but as others have pointed out the Vezina is a very volatile trophy and very few goalies win it consistantly.

Last edited:

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I think he's still capable of putting up a Vezina level season, but there's a number of better bets going into a season at this point, there's a lot of variance with goalies, and he's getting old enough where there's not going to be many kicks at the can. Smart money is on no.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
I'll vote maybe. Perhaps he has about a 25% chase or so? (which means he has a legit chance for those of you who suck at math).

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Hes the best goaltender in the world, if his team doesn't hang him out to dry for 70 games he can do it for sure.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Im not sure why you think he will win it every year just because he plays for the Lightning when he didn't even win it this year and the guy who did plays on a team with terrible defense. Vasilevsky only had a .917 and 2.56 GAA this year playing on a team you claim should make him an all time great, that is not very good numbers for an all time great so its pretty clear he isn't going to have a great year every year. He will probably win one at some point, but as others have pointed out the Vezina is a very volatile trophy and very few goalies win it consistantly.

You mean when he won the Vezina last year?

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
how many goalies win the vezna without coming in the top 25 for both save percentage and gaa including goalies who played at least 20 games. In fact he wasn’t top 30. So over rated.
:huh:

What are you talking about ?

The only goalie who had a better save percentage and gaa in Price's Vezina year played all of 24 games...

He wasn't top 30 ?

Another delusional post...

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
:huh:

What are you talking about ?

The only goalie who had a better save percentage and gaa in Price's Vezina year played all of 24 games...

He wasn't top 30 ?

Another delusional post...

He hasn't even hit .910 two out of the last three years.

I know the excuse. The Habs defense supposedly was the reason. First of all, if he was the best goalie in the league as some of you say, he'd put up better stats in spite of the defense he plays behind. Second, the Habs defense isn't that bad. It's much easier to explain away the team's problems as a bunch of no name defensemen are causing all the issues. It's a lot more difficult when you have to admit that the albatross contract in net is causing a lot of the issues, as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad