Does Canadian Olympic team need Crosby ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
No they dont need him, I mean look at that roster! But to be honest I'd put him ahead of two or three guys. I knew even before the season started that there would be a problem with picking Sid. Although Lindros played in the '91 Canada Cup before he even palyed a game to me there were still some better guys who didnt get picked. It was a controversial one. And Lemieux, the most touted prospect ever wasnt on the '84 Canada Cup team. But he was by '87. So we'll have to wait on this one.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Jaded-Fan said:
The only reason to give him a slot would be experience for the next 4 Olympics he likely will be in for you all. Malkin and AO are getting their feet wet for Russia this year, it would not hurt Canada to get Crosby that experience too. Though it will not set him back terribly much not to have it either. And as has been said before, Canada is hardly lacking in scoring. The counter to the positive is that he would bring a media circus with him that might not be what the team wants to offset that good thing that having him on the team would do.

Ovechkin earned his spot on that roster, preparing him for future Olympics or not. Ovechkin can do the little things like play defense or kill penalties.

From what Malkin did at the WJC's and from his play in the RSL currently, it is a fair argument that he earned his way onto the team as well.

That isn't a decision that Crosby is any better or worse than those two, just the state of Russian hockey currently. Would Malkin make the Canada team? Probably not (betting like 3% chance, if that) and Ovechkin probably would be 50/50.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
hopefully, he'll play in the world championships. that will get him some good international experience. we'll also get to see what kind of person he is by if he actually goes over to play.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Chimaera said:
His defense is solid? NHL Solid? what games have you watched? He plays a good offensive role, but backchecking, covering his man, playing physical in his own zone, and just playing the pass is still in question. Not to mention his ability in reading and reacting against players with many years of more experience. If anything, yes, a good offense makes up for defensive work, but no one with any resemblence of an objective viewpoint would say right now he is a solid defensive forward in the NHL. I'm sorry, he isn't. Period. Give him a few years, sure, but right now, no. To suggest he could be decent in a defensive role on Team Canada is laughable.

Who is suggesting this? Maybe you misinterpreted what I meant. At the NHL level his defence is not a weakness. The only question is whether it could be at the next level.

Chimaera said:
I also don't feel he is any better at handling pressure. He doesn't have the international experience a lot of the players on that team already have. Sure he has played in Junior Tournaments, and had a lot of pressure on him throughout his young career, but his Olympic Experience and in Major tournies with this caliber of opponent is slim at best.

Not slim. None. But he has had more pressure on him for longer and handled it more successfully than most of the team. In this respect he is more experienced.

Chimaera said:
Additionally, the argument isn't whether or not he plays good enough defense in a top 6 position, it is whether or not he plays well enough to earn a spot on the 3rd or 4th line. I say that because he hasn't done enough offensively to warrant a spot on those top two lines. Other players have earned those spots above him, maybe not because of long range potential, but because of ability currently. Everyone who has ever seen Crosby knows he has enough defense to play on a top line role, because lets face it, a lot of snipers and playmakers in the league barely enter their zone. The question is, realizing he isn't good enough right now to make it as a top 6 player, does he add enough to make it on the 3rd or 4th line? The simple answer is no. NO. NO, and once again no.

Currently only 5 Canadian forwards have more points and only 2 of them were named to the team.

Currently only 3 Canadian forwards have more goals and only 2 of them were named to the team.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Crosbyfan said:
Currently only 5 Canadian forwards have more points and only 2 of them were named to the team.

Currently only 3 Canadian forwards have more goals and only 2 of them were named to the team.

Currently all the team Canada forwards have significantly more than 40 games NHL experience under their belts as well.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
octopi said:
Currently all the team Canada forwards have significantly more than 40 games NHL experience under their belts as well.

Currently so does Gordie Howe and Jean Beliveau. This does not reflect their current ability.

Your point is valid but not in the context of my post.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Crosbyfan said:
Currently so does Gordie Howe and Jean Beliveau. This does not reflect their current ability.

Your point is valid but not in the context of my post.

Current abilty is apparently now judged by this NHL season alone?
Better let Sweden know, they'll want to kick Mats Sundin off the team.

And by your logic, Sidney Crosby would on the second line?
My point was that Canada is picking based on history....recent history.But don't worry, if injuries pop up, I'm sure Crosby is next in line behind the taxi squad.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Out of curiosity, and after what goes on here at HF, are any of you Canadians going to actually root for the kid if he ever plays for you in the Olympics? Just wondering. By the way, if you all do not want him because of how he plays the game I am sure some citizen thing could be worked out by the next olympics so he could play for the US team. Just trying to be helpful.

Last edited:

SChan*

no canada has named 3 reserve players already and crosby wasn't one of them. He can't be selected.

Macman

May 15, 2004
SectionX said:
no canada has named 3 reserve players already and crosby wasn't one of them. He can't be selected.

The reserves aren't limited to three players. You can bring over 50 if you want to. He can still be added to the taxi squad and thus still make the actual playing roster if the guys begin dropping like flies.

SChan*

Macman said:
The reserves aren't limited to three players. You can bring over 50 if you want to. He can still be added to the taxi squad and thus still make the actual playing roster if the guys begin dropping like flies.

ok true, but then you need more than 3 injuries. I am actually more scared of crosby than some of the canadian players in your team. If I was canadian coach I would select him.

pags78

Dec 29, 2005
Ontario
no,

crosby has enough on his plate being 18 and leading the pens. he will have the future to lead canada internationally. plus we got what it takes with the softmores before we start with the rookies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad