Does Canada still have the best Defence?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lionel Hutz

Apr 13, 2004
Locking the Lounge??
ZDogg said:
Jovanovski has some defensive issues... but as long as he doesn't try to over achieve and park infront of the net like he doesd on the Canucks I think we should be fine. Also, Regehr is alot better than many people give him credit for, his size and speed will be a definite asset with Blake and Pronger out.

I remember reading a scouting report on Jovo years ago, basically said he would be a star D, and that he is not prone to frequent mistakes, but when he does make mistakes, it will be highlight reel material.

As true then as it is now. Nonetheless, he is one of the best D in the world, and I wouldn't for a second question his presence in this lineup.

Lionel Hutz

Apr 13, 2004
Locking the Lounge??
mahovlich said:
not highjacking anything man, this is not an airplane.Yeah, you gave your go on the defense but you did'nt give it to me on your post,you just went after the supposed high-jacking.If you really think it's totally off-topic then why comment on it? You're sure to keep it going then are'nt you?.Hard to resist i guess but it's counter-productive to your stated goal.An off topic post on a hockey board, bigger problems in the world then that champ. :)

:thumbu:

:dunno:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Even without Blake and Pronger Canada´s D will be tough as nails and get the work done. I don´t think Canadas defense corp is as important to Canadas success as Lidström, Johnsson, Norström and öhlund will be for Sweden.

Its impossible to compare them since they play for diffrent teams with very diffrent systems. Swedish D will provide allot more offense, not because they are better but Sweden will give their D allot more room offensivly. However in the medal round Canada´s D probably have a sligth advantage because they are tougher...

Overall Canada is a huge favourite IMO. They have the momentum and a great mix between vets and younger players. However with the medal round consisting of "best of one" games everything is possible. As a Swede I belive that Kim Johnsson will have a tremendous tournament. I think Lidstrom will be very solid and log allot of minutes. I don´t want to face Canada in the medal rounds... =)

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
Let me save all of us a bunch of trouble by proclaiming:

1) Canada has the best defense (on paper).
2) Canada has the best forwards (on paper).
3) Canada has the best goaltending (on paper).
4) Canada has the best team (on paper).
5) Canada has the most depth.

Sweden clearly has the best forwards on paper IMO...

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
monster_bertuzzi said:
Sweden has better top-end talent on forwards, but canada has WAAAY BETTER depth

sweden has guys like Pahlson, Nilson, Holmstrom, Sedins

canada has guys like Draper, Morrow, Doan, Richards, Lecavalier, Maltby

its not really close.

Forsberg, Naslund, Alfredsson, Sundin are a bit better then Sakic, Iginla, Lemieux, Heatley/Lecavalier.

but canada owns sweden in depth.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
monster_bertuzzi said:

i'm not so sure they do, and even if they do, it's not "clearly"

even at the top end it's pretty even

forsberg > iginla (depends who you talk to, but it seems to be a majority decision)
naslund = sakic
sundin = thornton
alfredsson = heatley
modin < lecavalier
zetterberg < richards
sedin(s), etc < marleau, doan, st louis, smyth, gagne etc...

and then the wildcard is lemieux. many feel he's still the best player in the world if healthy, and by the looks of it, he'll be healthy

Jovo Cop

Iginla over Forsberg..Forsberg is now injury plagued while Iginla is a young bull
Sakic over Naslund ..Sakic is clutch
Sundin over Thornton ..Sundin is clutch ..Joe mmmmm 0 points in playoffs
Heatley over Alfie
Vinnie over Modin
Richards over Zetterburg
marleau, doan, st louis, smyth, gagne etc easily over the Sedin sisters and co.

and then of course the Lemieux factor ....its gonna be a battle !!

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Lionel Hutz said:
I must've missed the memo where that was declared a majority decision. Could you please forward it?

i like iginla better too. but forsberg is the golden boy of these boards, and it just ends up in big pointless arguments when anything bad is said about him

i did all those ratings with a little favour to sweden, because i assume i'm probably a bit biased for canadian players

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
Iginla is not on Forsbergs level yet. its a joke if you think he is. he is amazing, but peter can dominate a game. iginla has done it in one playoff run. how about peter? misses the entire year with a devastating injury, comes back rusty, and owns the playoffs. he has been amazing year in and year out.

Lionel Hutz

Apr 13, 2004
Locking the Lounge??
jtuzzi21 said:
Iginla is not on Forsbergs level yet. its a joke if you think he is. he is amazing, but peter can dominate a game. iginla has done it in one playoff run. how about peter? misses the entire year with a devastating injury, comes back rusty, and owns the playoffs. he has been amazing year in and year out.

he's done it in more than one year. Iggy can dominate a game, and IMO is the better player right now.

Lionel Hutz

Apr 13, 2004
Locking the Lounge??
arrbez said:
i like iginla better too. but forsberg is the golden boy of these boards, and it just ends up in big pointless arguments when anything bad is said about him

No doubt, check out the thread on NHL talk, some people put Foresberg over Mario. What a joke.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
jtuzzi21 said:

on pure talent alone, i think forsberg is a much better stickhandler and passer (although in fairness, iginla has never quite had hejduk and tanguay to pass to), but iginla has shown more than forsberg IMO that he can dominate a game. kipper and regehr were great, but it was iginla that dragged that team to game 7 of the finals. he's more inspiring than forsberg to play with, and more intimidating to play against

Jovo Cop

Iggy has done it at every level ..Memorial cup in Kamloops ,World Junior Gold for Canada ,Olympic Gold for Canada and took a much weaker team than the the Avalanche to within one game of a Stanley Cup .Iggy on all those championships wasnt a bystander either .
I can only imagine what Iggy would do with the likes of Sakic ,tanguay,and hejuk as teammates , there wouldnt be no 3 way tie for the Rocket Richard trophy thats for sure :)

Bloody Sabbath

Feb 29, 2004
Toronto, Canada
If Iginla was on a team with Hejduk, Sakic etc, he would no longer be "the guy", and who knows whether he would score more goals. It's a lot like Pavel Bure on the Panthers, where he scored basically all their goals. If he came to a good team than he wouldn't have the pressure to have to score all their goals.

Lionel Hutz

Apr 13, 2004
Locking the Lounge??
rick_tml89 said:
If Iginla was on a team with Hejduk, Sakic etc, he would no longer be "the guy", and who knows whether he would score more goals. It's a lot like Pavel Bure on the Panthers, where he scored basically all their goals. If he came to a good team than he wouldn't have the pressure to have to score all their goals.

In the case of some players, this logic may be true. In Iginla's case, I don't feel it is.

Iggy is a heart and sould guy who is far too passionate to get lost on any roster. If he were on a team with top skilled forwards and less pressure, he would score more, not less.

Bloody Sabbath

Feb 29, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Lionel Hutz said:
In the case of some players, this logic may be true. In Iginla's case, I don't feel it is.

Iggy is a heart and sould guy who is far too passionate to get lost on any roster. If he were on a team with top skilled forwards and less pressure, he would score more, not less.
That's debatable imo, but I understand your reasoning. My point was just that on a more skilled team, his ice time would go down, and he won't be the go to guy all the time. For example do you think Rick Nash would have scored 41 goals playing with the Ottawa Senators? I doubt it.

Lionel Hutz

Apr 13, 2004
Locking the Lounge??
rick_tml89 said:
That's debatable imo, but I understand your reasoning. My point was just that on a more skilled team, his ice time would go down, and he won't be the go to guy all the time. For example do you think Rick Nash would have scored 41 goals playing with the Ottawa Senators? I doubt it.

It is debatable, were both just giving opinions.

Question for me is, how much would his ice time really go down? I would go down somem but I mean, on what team would Iginla not be on the top line, and see as much time on the PP as possible? There is no such NHL team.

Nash is a little different b/c he is young. B/c of his age, he would not yet be a 1st line player on many teams - not b/c of talent, just b/c he's young. What could Spezza have done by now if he was on Columbus or Pittsburgh for example?

Jovo Cop

rick_tml89 said:

Its a good thing Pavel didnt score too many goals on that GOOD Canucks team in 93. :)

Jovo Cop

rick_tml89 said:

So does that mean Guy Lafleur would of scored 100 goals a season playing with the Pittsburgh Penguins instead of that powerhouse Habs team???

Bloody Sabbath

Feb 29, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Jovo Cop said:
So does that mean Guy Lafleur would of scored 100 goals a season playing with the Pittsburgh Penguins instead of that powerhouse Habs team???
I doubt it lol, but never say never man, who knows? Lionel Hutz brought up a point saying what Spezza could have done if he'd been playing for Pittsburgh/Columbus etc. He could have put up Nash type numbers. All I'm saying is that some players have the opportunity to shine more when the spotlight is on them rather than when it is spread out over many people. However I guess I was wrong to say that it would affect Iginla since he probably would get maximum minutes on any team. I still feel my view was pretty legitimate. For example Ovechkin has a chance to shine in Washington next year and maybe hit 60 points playing with nobodys. If he played with Colorado or Toronto etc, he probably wouldn't hit 35 points.

Phanuthier*

jtuzzi21 said:
Iginla has done it for 2 of the past 3 seasons. The one inbetween, his "off season" due to a wrist injury he played through, he scored 35 goals.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
rick_tml89 said:
Its not like Iginla plays 30 minutes a night or anything here. He plays around 20-23 mintutes per game. Darryl Sutter likes to roll with 4 lines regardless, and doesn't like to tire out Jarome.

LaVal

Dec 13, 2002
Kelowna
ZDogg said:
Jovanovski has some defensive issues... but as long as he doesn't try to over achieve and park infront of the net like he doesd on the Canucks I think we should be fine. Also, Regehr is alot better than many people give him credit for, his size and speed will be a definite asset with Blake and Pronger out.

Jovo played stay-at-home for Rob Blake last Olympics to a perfection. Don Cherry called him team Canada's best defender. Jovo's defensive abilities are in the league's elite, however the style he's asked to play in Vancouver lead to the occasional turnover or odd man rush. at the World Cup, you won't be seeing him circle the opposition's goal, or start a rush with his defensive partner, etc like he does on Vancouver, and you can feel safe with him on the ice.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
Jovo Cop said:
.The American Gold was a what it was ..a fluke .If not for Fleury wed be the Golden boys .

Disagree strongly. You forget that the Americans made a late game push to start the rally to begin with. They were the ONLY team to have any offensive success against Canada and significantly break down Canada's young defense (in terms of the WJC age group they were in). I fail to see how that amounts to a fluke??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad