Does Buffalo afford another coaching experiment?

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
While I think not signing McLellan is a blessing in disguise. Certainly not a coach I would give Eichel and Dahlin to.

Either way, with him probably signing with the Kings and Q going to Florida, who is really left out there? I figured Buffalo is probably more in need of a proven commodity rather than another experiment that will maybe last a season and some, or am I wrong? Alain V is probably not who I'd look to for a youth movement nor do I think Boucher is fit for a team that probably wants to encourage skill going forward, right?

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I think a first time NHL coach with a really experienced coaching staff could work.

Housley in general seemed like a strange hire to begin with.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Todd Nelson would be a shrewd signing. He's a coach who gets a lot out of the young guys.

Reactions: GOilers88

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Might be time to have an experienced coach who is actually good. Eichel has been in the league 4 seasons already and they have very little to show for it except being bad enough to get Dahlin too.

Reactions: Iceman

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017

What does David Frost have to do with anything related to Sheldon Keefe today, the way he's turned his life around or the fact that he's been brought up as a potential head coach of the Buffalo Sabres. Please, tell me.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
What does David Frost have to do with anything related to Sheldon Keefe today, the way he's turned his life around or the fact that he's been brought up as a potential head coach of the Buffalo Sabres. Please, tell me.
I mean he let Frost hang around his team when he coached in Pembroke. At what point is the past no longer a concern?

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
I mean he let Frost hang around his team when he coached in Pembroke. At what point is the past no longer a concern?

According to Keefe it's been 10+ years since their was any contact. Pick another hill to die on.

Gjman2019

Dec 6, 2017
Bring in A.V....McLellan was exposed in Edmonton...He's an assistant not a head coach...

A.V. with a bunch of cheap vetrans (Bieksa Kessler) even if they're past their prime to help change the attitude and the culture in Buffalo

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Aside from a guy like Q, I think the retreads are low risk/low reward. Maybe that’s all you want, to avoid a Dallas Eakins situation. But I don’t think any of them will snap their fingers and fix the problems in Buffalo.

I’d avoid the high school coaches but I don’t think it’s a bad idea to look to the AHL and try to grab a guy who has had success there. A younger guy with new ideas could be a good fit there if combined with reasonable experience.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
What about my response leads you to ask me to calm down? Are you offended by the truth (articles) that are easily found?
What about my innocuous joke made you think this was a topic I was picking as a hill to die on?

Thorton02

Feb 6, 2009
What about Michel Therrien? He did a good job implementing a system in Pittsburgh when that team was young. I don't recall him being absolutely terrible in MTL.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
The Sabers need to find someone that can work in youth. Is there a coach in the AHL that's known for his development?

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
What about Michel Therrien? He did a good job implementing a system in Pittsburgh when that team was young. I don't recall him being absolutely terrible in MTL.

He's a hardass but that team needs to learn to play some proper defense which he could get straightened out I guess.

Neutral Hockey Fan

Sep 24, 2010
They’d need to find an established coach that actively wants to live and coach in buffalo. The last number of times buffalo sought out an established coach (Babcock, McLellan, ect), the coaches showed no interest. Will be interesting to see how this plays out. Will history repeat itself, or will a good coach actually want to live and coach in buffalo? Time will tell...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad