Does Buff have to go?

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Do you honestly believe he will get anywhere near that. Easy decision for the team.

I revised it slightly. I figure he will make just north of $8,500,000. If so, then sign him. He is our best D-man. We will not get anything remotely close to Trouba if we trade him away.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Say Trouba wants $7,500,000 a year for 8 years, but obviously wants to make up for the bridge contract he signed. That would mean we would have to pay Trouba $9.0 million on top of the 7.5 million/year he wants. If we do the math, that works out to $60 million + $9.0 million / 8 years =

$8,625,000/year

That bridge deal does not seem so great now.

That's not how bridge deals work.

I mean, if you think that a player's "prime" is when the player is 31...

Personally, I would describe it as "on the decline".

When that player's best season was the one they were currently playing when they signed, yes I would.

Constable

corona fiend
Mar 17, 2014
He is a #1D who signed a five year contract in his prime. There are no comparables for that.

he signed a 5 year deal at the tail end of his prime

most defenseman start declining past the age of 30 and this has been well known for a while

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Then how do bridge deals work?

For the players they are a 'sunk cost' for the opportunity to sign a long term deal closer to their prime, and with more UFA years involved.

They don't charge for them retrospectively.

he signed a 5 year deal at the tail end of his prime

most defenseman start declining past the age of 30 and this has been well known for a while

To my point, then, name all of the #1D who signed for five years at the 'tail end' of their primes. Who are the comparables?

Constable

corona fiend
Mar 17, 2014
jacob trouba is one of the best if not the best RHD below the age of 25 and there is no fathomable way you pick an aging byfuglien over him

once again, the right time to move byfuglien was a year ago but the jets can still get massive value now

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
jacob trouba is one of the best if not the best RHD below the age of 25 and there is no fathomable way you pick an aging byfuglien over him

once again, the right time to move byfuglien was a year ago but the jets can still get massive value now

Why dont we wait to see if trouba is into us first.

Unholy goalie

Jul 11, 2011
Yeah.. a lot hinges on Trouba. Buff will now be on the decline, but even towards the end of his contract he'll be a good stopgap for certain positions (2nd or 3rd pairing depending on usage). The question will be, if Buff's play goes down, Trouba leaves, and Myers never gets healthy, how will we be able to shore up RD before Buff is done for good.

I hope the Jets aren't putting all their eggs in the Trouba basket.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Buff's points totals since being a Jet...
28*
I don't see him slowing down in the points department and my eye test tells me he isn't slowing down or declining yet. Buff at about an average of 23 minutes will surprise people. I expect Trouba to get the most TOI on the Jets this upcoming season.

Trade Buff? Not unless someone overpays with a deal you can't refuse...Look at it again next off-season? Of course. Especially since his NMC turns into a NTC. If Buff plays like he doesn't care about D, I would move him in the right deal. He has to play a certain way to be the most beneficial to the team. I would ask him to be more physical to be honest. Kuli's and Buff's D zone could be a dangerous place for opposing players this season.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
If Byfuglien has the same effect on Kulikov as he did on Chiarot and Clitsome, that extra $800k he gets for signing mid-term pays for itself.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
If Byfuglien has the same effect on Kulikov as he did on Chiarot and Clitsome, that extra $800k he gets for signing mid-term pays for itself.

Yup and there is no reason to expect otherwise, is there?
He was pretty good for Morrissey too.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
And unless Trouba has an untapped offensive game, like a PK Subban or even Buff, that's a huge overpay.

Last year only 5 NHL D-men put up more points per 60 min of even strength ice time that Trouba. Subban has improved the last couple years, but over his career he hasn't produced at the rates Trouba has at even strength.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Say Trouba wants $7,500,000 a year for 8 years, but obviously wants to make up for the bridge contract he signed. That would mean we would have to pay Trouba $9.0 million on top of the 7.5 million/year he wants. If we do the math, that works out to $60 million + $9.0 million / 8 years =

$8,625,000/year

That bridge deal does not seem so great now.

With hindsight it's sucks yeah. But who knows, maybe Trouba doesn't have the year he had if we cut him a 45 million dollar check already. Making a guy prove he can be consistent.

Honestly think Trouba and his agent believed in him and knew how good he could become if he put his mind to it. Now he can get paid for being as good as he always thought he would be.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
With hindsight it's sucks yeah. But who knows, maybe Trouba doesn't have the year he had if we cut him a 45 million dollar check already. Making a guy prove he can be consistent.

Honestly think Trouba and his agent believed in him and knew how good he could become if he put his mind to it. Now he can get paid for being as good as he always thought he would be.

Yea I think Jacob is very confident and he just needed proper usage and he was off to the races.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad