Does Buff have to go?

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
If Trouba signs, I don't think Buff plays out his contract. If Trouba doesn't sign or is traded, Buff likely plays out his contract as a Jet.

If Trouba continues to develop into a solid top pairing dman, at his age, he becomes the priority imo. And I don't see Jets having both Buff and Trouba at $7+ mill.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
If Trouba signs, I don't think Buff plays out his contract. If Trouba doesn't sign or is traded, Buff likely plays out his contract as a Jet.

If Trouba continues to develop into a solid top pairing dman, at his age, he becomes the priority imo. And I don't see Jets having both Buff and Trouba at $7+ mill.

I sure hope Trouba stays, but I have a bad feeling he will walk. Trouba will want to recouperate the money he lost in the bridge deal. Additionally, he will try to squeeze as much money as possible from the Jets.

I would be looking at a 8 year $68 million contract ($8.5/year) to sign Trouba.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Agree.

And unless Trouba has an untapped offensive game, like a PK Subban or even Buff, that's a huge overpay.

Trouba might be worth $7-$7.5 mill/yr with an improved offensive game to go along with a solid defensive game and physicality. But $8.5 mill is much too high. If he wants that, he'll be moved.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Trouba won't accept anything under 9 x 8 yr is my guess.
I could be wrong like always but I'm not convinced he wants to be here.
So trying to move Buff first would be very foolish for Chevy to do unless we get a stud RHD coming back

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Trouba won't accept anything under 9 x 8 yr is my guess.
I could be wrong like always but I'm not convinced he wants to be here.
So trying to move Buff first would be very foolish for Chevy to do unless we get a stud RHD coming back

See you later troubs. Nice knowing you

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Agreed.
Unless we can get some other defenceman or Morrissey becomes amazing, we are left with a 1/2D (Trouba) and three 3/4D (Morrissey, Myers, Enstrom). I doubt we can win like that. Even if Buff declines a bit, he can still be used like Shattenkirk was.

I'm very confident that Morrissey is actually a 2D. Also, trades or future prospects emerging is possible.

When a player is as bad value as Buff, there really is no room for him. Soon Morrissey will need to be paid 5mil as well... You have to evaluate who's worth their money and who's not, and Buff's not even close.

GMs often wait too long before ditching players on potentially bad contracts, then have to pay a huge price to get rid of it. Trade Buff now while he has some value.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
I'm very confident that Morrissey is actually a 2D. Also, trades or future prospects emerging is possible.

When a player is as bad value as Buff, there really is no room for him. Soon Morrissey will need to be paid 5mil as well... You have to evaluate who's worth their money and who's not, and Buff's not even close.

GMs often wait too long before ditching players on potentially bad contracts, then have to pay a huge price to get rid of it. Trade Buff now while he has some value.

No way do we trade Buff until we know for sure what Trouba plans to do. If Trouba signs long term and wants to stay then trade Buff, not before.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015

Why is Buff bad value ?
He is upper echelon of offensive D men on a team that lacks offense from the back end.
You might not like the odd lapse of effort or concentration on Buffs part at times but you are somehow blind to how good he really is .

ijuka

May 14, 2016
No way do we trade Buff until we know for sure what Trouba plans to do. If Trouba signs long term and wants to stay then trade Buff, not before.

Yes, of course. That goes without saying. I'm not sure I'd trade Buff before Trouba's contract would be up in the first place, anyway.

Why is Buff bad value ?
He is upper echelon of offensive D men on a team that lacks offense from the back end.
You might not like the odd lapse of effort or concentration on Buffs part at times but you are somehow blind to how good he really is .

He's a bit of a disaster defensively and his contract is brutal. He's not bad value right now(thought certainly nowhere near good value), but might be if he declines. That contract will handcuff jets for a long time if that happens. See how many Ds actually make more money than him. He was #3 the last time I checked. Is he close to being that good? No.

jets2020champs

Nov 6, 2016
Canada
Jets needs Buff for playoffs. Nothing more intimidating than playing against Buff on a best of seven series. And, yes, the Jets will make the playoffs this season. And I'm hoping it's against Dallas or whatever team Rousel is on. LOL.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Buff is making 7.6m and is a 1RHD on most teams. What is wrong with that? Anyone notice how much of the D's O comes from him? He scored 52 points last season and Trouba and Morrissey scored 53 combined! Chiarot and Enstrom scored 26 combined.
Anyone ever notice how many plays he breaks up in their infancy? He will not be the leagues TOI leader this year and it wouldn't surprise me if Trouba averages more.
There is nothing wrong with his contract either. He signed for 5 years when he would have got 7 in free agency and probably more than 7.6m a year.
Even if Trouba stays, is he going to be healthy his whole career? Myers is the one that should be shopped once Poolman or Nogier or someone shows they are a capable 3RHD, not Buff.
Samberg-Buff in a few years could be a nice pairing.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Buff is making 7.6m and is a 1RHD on most teams. What is wrong with that? Anyone notice how much of the D's O comes from him? He scored 52 points last season and Trouba and Morrissey scored 53 combined! Chiarot and Enstrom scored 26 combined.
Anyone ever notice how many plays he breaks up in their infancy? He will not be the leagues TOI leader this year and it wouldn't surprise me if Trouba averages more.
There is nothing wrong with his contract either. He signed for 5 years when he would have got 7 in free agency and probably more than 7.6m a year.
Even if Trouba stays, is he going to be healthy his whole career? Myers is the one that should be shopped once Poolman or Nogier or someone shows they are a capable 3RHD, not Buff.

Buff scores that much, sure, but he also was a negative influence on ES scoring as a whole and I'm confident that someone like Morrissey would actually be a better influence on PP if he actually got the exact same amount of responsibility. Buff also is a disaster on PK but got tons of responsibility there.

Points are cool and all, but what actually matters is that your team scores more goals than the opponent, and with Buff that's not the case. That's a pretty bad state of affairs for your 1D.

Now I took a look at the GAR graphs posted here sometime around the summer and I see that Byfuglien is actually also behind Morrissey in overall impact. Well, didn't need the GARs for this one. Is he really this overrated?

I talked about this earlier but I'll reiterate just in case: He's the 3rd highest paid D in all of NHL. People actually think that that's fair value?

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
I talked about this earlier but I'll reiterate just in case: He's the 3rd highest paid D in all of NHL. People actually think that that's fair value?

He is a #1D who signed a five year contract in his prime. There are no comparables for that.

FiveHoled

Jul 2, 2016
West Coast
All I can say is, as a casual fan, Buff keeps me coming out to watch games, love him or hate him at times. That is also worth something, especially in a small market like WPG.

Last edited:

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Could be lots of fun this year.
But just in case I am making Maurice voo doo dolls.
I accept all forms of payment
"Pins and anger" sold separately
To stay OT
It won't be Buffs play holding us back

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
You are 100% correct :nod:He is also the best defenseman on the Jets passing the puck up to our forwards out of our zone . Myers and Enstrom get moved long before Buff if we need cap space .

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Buff played great in his contract year and followed that up with a real mediocre season this year and looked mostly disinterested, not exactly a guy you build a team around or want to keep round for that matter!:help:

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
Buff played great in his contract year and followed that up with a real mediocre season this year and looked mostly disinterested, not exactly a guy you build a team around or want to keep round for that matter!:help:

That's not what I saw, I thought he was trying too hard to be a difference maker. How did he look disinterested?

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
That's not what I saw, I thought he was trying too hard to be a difference maker. How did he look disinterested?

He could start by putting in that effort in our own zone and not just as our 4th forward/rover. That's where he looks disinterested way too often. The "odd time" is putting it very lightly...

That said give him less minutes and PP time and we are using him the way he should be. Myers taking his PK minutes should help the team and Buff's effort in our own end. At least I would hope it will...

Constable

corona fiend
Mar 17, 2014
Byfuglien should be moved and IMO within the coming 3 years the rest of the early Jets era core should be moved (Wheels/Little/Enstrom)

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Say Trouba wants $7,500,000 a year for 8 years, but obviously wants to make up for the bridge contract he signed. That would mean we would have to pay Trouba $9.0 million on top of the 7.5 million/year he wants. If we do the math, that works out to $60 million + $9.0 million / 8 years =

$8,625,000/year

That bridge deal does not seem so great now.

Last edited:

ijuka

May 14, 2016
He is a #1D who signed a five year contract in his prime. There are no comparables for that.

I mean, if you think that a player's "prime" is when the player is 31...

Personally, I would describe it as "on the decline".

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Say Trouba wants $8,000,000 a year for 8 years, but obviously wants to make up for the bridge contract he signed. That would mean we would have to pay Trouba $10.5 million on top of the 8.5 million he wants. If we do the math, that works out to $64 million + $10.5 million / 8 years =

$9,250,000/year

That bridge deal does not seem so great now.
Do you honestly believe he will get anywhere near that. Easy decision for the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad