Does Bettman keep his job?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
I voted yes, even though he has done a lot of bad things with reguarding to rule regulation (stay puft & garth snow) and putting the instigator rule in ... he absolutely hammered the PA in this negotiation, period ... and that's all that needs to be said about that

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Are you kidding? If the owners could nominate him for sainthood they would. What more would they have wanted him to 'win?'

Benji Frank

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I'm wagering yes most definitely he'll keep his job. He finally had the 'nads (and power via the vote of 8 to continue his mandate rule he got through) to stand up to 700 players and their clueless leader and 6 or 7 of the wealthest men in North America to get what he wanted for all 30 teams...

Betman expanded the league by 9 which probably put around 600 million $$$ in the owners collective jeans not to mention 270 more millionaires per year thanks to pro hockey (ok so some are repeats from the season before, but you get the idea ... so should the players!!!) and now he's persevered and gotten the owners and players a contract that freezes the 5 or 6 owners that do not understand what it's like to try to live paycheque to paycheque so many thousands of North Americans can continue to be employed by a pro hockey team including the just mentioned 270 extra hockey players.

5 or 6 years from now when the next agreement takes about as long as basketball's to finalize, Betman will have his place in history as the guy who brought hockey into the spotlight with the big sports of North America. I think combined with some of the improvements I've heard, if they take out a row of seats and expand the rink size so that it's hand in hand with the increased player size, hockey will explode!! The players will be more then happy to escrow a portion of their salary knowing at the end of the year it'll be there and then some!! Maybe it'll form a little forced savings program to help them through the summer!!!! :)

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Well if the question was (which i voted for i didnt read it properly) 'would you keep bettman' no...but he will stay for a while and then leave

Icey

Jan 23, 2005
Komisarek8 said:
why would he get fired if he did a great job getting the owners a deal they liked.

Because its not about getting a deal the owners like, it's about getting a deal that will make the league a healthy league for many years to come. If he fails to make this league a healthy league and all 30 able to make a profit then Bettman failed as much as Goodenow.

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
Bettman rescued a league that was way overvalued when he came in and kept it from the total destruction it was heading towards. He's cowed a militant, out of touch players association and ensured the health of every team for the forseeable future - from the sounds of it, if a team can't survive in the upcoming CBA they simply don't deserve to have a team.

Complaints about "marketing" and other such are from people who simply don't understand the NHL thought far more of itself than it deserved to years ago when Bettman came in, ie the Sports Illustrated article. Anyways, Bettman rasied revenues several times over. It is not his fault player salaries couldn't stay sane - the entire pay structure was being forged by teams throwing 60 million on player salaries regardless of team revenue and you can't tell the owner not to do that, not if you want to keep from being sued.

Bettman has saved the NHL. He has been the single thing in its favor since he came in. It's a bit sad that there's still a few out there who hold the delusion that the NHL was on the verge of being the next NFL or something years ago; hindsight shows it was nothing more than a pipedream. Bettman took a regional sport and did everything humanly possible to try to make people care about it nationally. It didn't really happen, but, again, with hindsight, it appears it simply wasn't possible to do, ever, period, and may never be - hockey just isn't big enough in the US to get to that point and doesn't have the grassroots support - minor hockey etc - to grow beyond that.

He may quit, on his high note. But he darn well deserves accolades. Some fans simply don't know enough to understand how much he's done, but that's okay. He'll get by.

:D

GSC2k2*

nyrmessier011 said:
I refuse to vote either way because he will keep his job for what he did in the passed 10 months, but shouldn't be allowed to for what he's done in the passed 10 years...and don't respond with all the positive stuff he has done, because the negative is far, far worse, so don't even try to challenge this. The guy should be shot.
Well, with such a well-reasoned and thought out response llike that, I can't imagine why anyoen would want to "try to challenge this". Speaking for myself, I find myself wriggling in the crushing grip of your reasoning ...

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
Hopefully the "new NHL" wont include Bettman. It's time to fix the game and the relationship between the players and owners. And i cant see that done with Bob and Gary in charge. Both should be gone IMO.

And really should one CBA victory means he has a job for life. Afterall his fixings his own mess, 10 years laters and hundreds and hundreds of millions dollars lost. Even with this so called win against the union in the grand scheme of things, he's a loser to the NHL.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
FLYLine4LIFE said:
NO, But not for the reason you gave. The NHL will need a NEW FACE in the head office when this is over and there is NO WAY he should still be there.

Why does the NHL need a new face in the front office? Oh...right he cancelled the season...end of story. :dunno:

At the end of this, both sides will have chinks in their armor, but GB has the "i told you so" card. He stuck to his guns the entire way through for the financial stability of the league - that's what this new linked/capped/revenue shared deal is ALL about right? Isn't that what he has preached, promised, stated, over and over again during the past 3 years, or did you miss that?

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
JWI19 said:
Hopefully the "new NHL" wont include Bettman. It's time to fix the game and the relationship between the players and owners. And i cant see that done with Bob and Gary in charge. Both should be gone IMO.

I gotta say that LATELY the relationship fixing is gonna happen on the PA side. Anyone blasting the NHL or owners these days? Players appear to be adverse to their OWN leader now that hey maybe 'bettman offered a better deal back in Feb.'

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
Scugs said:
I personally... Can't decide. If I had to, I would probably choose "No". Simply because I think we need a change, and two new guys who respect each other.

Not sure who "we" are, but I do know that Bettman, regardless of his job description, serves the needs of the NHL owners first and foremost, as does every professional sports commissioner.

And he has served the needs of the NHL owners superbly in this CBA, based on reports of the outcome. Superbly.

"We" may want another commish, but the people who matter (those who determine his fate) very likely will give him whatever he wants, for as long as he wants.

As well they should. He delivered. His negotiating in this CBA will save the owners millions over the years to come.

He's earned his keep. Business 101.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
ProctorSilex said:
Yes. Because he did such a horrible job in Vancouver. :shakehead

Never said he did a horrible job. Actually he did a good job financially, decent job with player personnel. However, the way BB conducts himself in the media is NOT what you want as your LEAGUE representative. Sorry...

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
blitzkriegs said:
Why does the NHL need a new face in the front office? Oh...right he cancelled the season...end of story. :dunno:

At the end of this, both sides will have chinks in their armor, but GB has the "i told you so" card. He stuck to his guns the entire way through for the financial stability of the league - that's what this new linked/capped/revenue shared deal is ALL about right? Isn't that what he has preached, promised, stated, over and over again during the past 3 years, or did you miss that?

This was the BIGGEST disgrace in all of pro sports history..cancelling a entire season...yes the NHL needs a new face in the front office. Did I miss what? Dont be a wise ass, he did a good job in the lockout, did i say he didnt???? Im sorry Daly needs to be in charge now, hes just as (if not more) capable of doing Bettmans job, but no way Gary should still be in charge...he has a hand in causing the mess....he fixed it..now he should leave and let the NHL climb to new heights.

GSC2k2*

JWI19 said:

Well, in my experience, after a complete vindication and resounding success in achieving business objectives, canning the guy who led you to it does not end in termination. After a CEO squashes an opponent or a union in other businesses, the board generally gives him a raise and extends his contract.

And really should one CBA victory means he has a job for life. Afterall his fixings his own mess, 10 years laters and hundreds and hundreds of millions dollars lost. Even with this so called win against the union in the grand scheme of things, he's a loser to the NHL.

No, one CBA victory does not give him a job for life. He has not really made a misstep of his own doing. That is what will keep him employed.

THe only way Bettman will leave is if he feels he cannot top himself, and wants out on the highest of successes. I doubt he will do that until the league is profitable under the new deal.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
FLYLine4LIFE said:
This was the BIGGEST disgrace in all of pro sports history..cancelling a entire season...yes the NHL needs a new face in the front office. Did I miss what? Dont be a wise ass, he did a good job in the lockout, did i say he didnt???? Im sorry Daly needs to be in charge now, hes just as (if not more) capable of doing Bettmans job, but no way Gary should still be in charge...he has a hand in causing the mess....he fixed it..now he should leave and let the NHL climb to new heights.

Was that the question above? Bettman certainly, I am sure, is happy that his job survival does not depend on your vote. But those 30 Owners, how do you genuinely think that they will vote?

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
blitzkriegs said:
I gotta say that LATELY the relationship fixing is gonna happen on the PA side. Anyone blasting the NHL or owners these days? Players appear to be adverse to their OWN leader now that hey maybe 'bettman offered a better deal back in Feb.'

Doesn't matter, he'll never have the respect of the players. The fact is they have nothing but total disdain for the guy. And kicking their butts in this CBA isn't gonna help matters.

What does everyone say about hockey players if they get cheap shotted or lose a fight? It's they have long memories and will get revenge sometime. They wont forget how this played out, regardless of what they are saying now against their own union leadership.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
FLYLine4LIFE said:
This was the BIGGEST disgrace in all of pro sports history..cancelling a entire season...yes the NHL needs a new face in the front office.

A disgrace? Ok. Apparently, the players are thinking that their OWN LEADER is the disgrace that FORCED the NHL to cancel the season. Are we reading the same things these days? :dunno:

Or. Maybe the financial state of the game was so beyond disrepair that the league would be so debt ridden in 5 years that it would have to close. Is THAT more disgraceful? :shakehead

Wow! Seems like when MLB cancelled the WS, Selig and Fehr still remain as captains of their respective boats. Is that a disgrace to? Because I gotta tell you, while cancelling an entire NHL (keyword) season is plenty, I REMEMBER the impact and fallout of cancelling the WS - do you? Last time I checked, the MLB strike was SPLASHED IN THE PAPER EVERYDAY, not 1 update per week as we are getting... Please...

Seriously, how lame is it that the NHL is going to have to select a day of non-event competitive coverage to announce that a CBA was agreed to? The NHL cancellation is not THAT big of deal to a majority of the markets in the US. As I can see you are NYR fan, assuming a NY native, but if you think the NHL CBA announcement is going to trump a Yankee/Mets story for more than a day, you must be stuck on the A train w/o an air conditioner...

Last edited:

Kritter471

Feb 17, 2005
Dallas
Mr. Bettman came to the NHL with the reputation for being a part of the NBA's marketing machine, and a great marketing move for the league (not necessarily a good business move or a move for him personally) would be to step down and give the league a new face to go along with the new CBA, new rules and new "pitch" to the fans.

I think no one on the BOG (save maybe Leafs management) will ask or campaign for him to step down. But my suspicsion is he might remove himself.

Hoss

Feb 21, 2005
Bettman may be loved by some here, but IMHO it was his hard nosed attitude that prevented the players from really believing the league was in trouble. If you want a partnership you don't let comments out that demean the players contributions to the game. Frankly telling tough guys to take it or leave it is losing effort.
Appearances are everything, and he was emitting "we don't need our want your opinons" vibes. I am not a supporter of BG either, he was equally abrasive and smug.
Because of the bad blood over the last CBA, they should have used new generals.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
JWI19 said:
Doesn't matter, he'll never have the respect of the players. The fact is they have nothing but total disdain for the guy. And kicking their butts in this CBA isn't gonna help matters.

Well, I guess when all those UFA's were leaving teams for bigger salaries. Beyond the SC contender tagline, the infamous player response "it's the business side of it" or "it's just the business."

Wasn't this entire lockout about fixing the 'business' side of things? I mean did GB NOT offer something more than the players are getting today? Again, GB gave the PA the better deal many times, but now the PA has a WORSE deal because of their OWN leader.

Business was better in September 2004, October 2004, February 2005 than it will be in July 2005.

GSC2k2*

Hoss said:
Bettman may be loved by some here, but IMHO it was his hard nosed attitude that prevented the players from really believing the league was in trouble. If you want a partnership you don't let comments out that demean the players contributions to the game. Frankly telling tough guys to take it or leave it is losing effort.
Appearances are everything, and he was emitting "we don't need our want your opinons" vibes. I am not a supporter of BG either, he was equally abrasive and smug.
Because of the bad blood over the last CBA, they should have used new generals.
Firstly, not ALL hockey players are tough guys. Many on the board here seem to think every player spits nails. Nor are all players determined, fight-to-the-last-drop-of-blood guys. There are many many talented guys who skate by on their talent, and there are wusses, and there are guys who are not tough competitors and quit in the tough going.

Exactly what were Bettman's comments demeaning the players' contributions. EVery appearance he praised them.

I think what gets a lot of people's goats on this board and a lot of players' goats is that he is short. And a New York lawyer. And an American. And an intelligent guy.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
gscarpenter2002 said:
I think what gets a lot of people's goats on this board and a lot of players' goats is that he is short. And a New York lawyer. And an American. And an intelligent guy.

And because too many people couldn't find something else to do with their time while the NHL was on hold... :D

And because the zillion "i got a paper to write, anyone got info" posters would love to have his job. And actually believe Sidney Crosby will solve everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad