Does Bettman keep his job?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
I'm just curious to see what everyone thinks... Points have been made, some favouring Bettman as the commish, and some ripping him.

Now, obviously we don't yet know the specifics of this CBA. But from what we do know, did Bettman handle this well? Did he get all that he promised to the 30 owners? Basically..

Did Bettman do his job?

I'd like to know what everyones opinions are on Bettman, now that the lockout seems to have finally come to a close.

I personally... Can't decide. If I had to, I would probably choose "No". Simply because I think we need a change, and two new guys who respect each other.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Bettman will never be fired.

He may however take the diplomatic approach and retire/resign when his current deal runs out to alleviate any potential animosity with the players/union.

Chaos Giraffe

Dec 1, 2004
Vancouver
Komisarek8 said:
why would he get fired if he did a great job getting the owners a deal they liked.

True.

After all is said and done, Bettman won the war for the owners. I'm sure there are some who are frustrated with him, but I think the majority of the owners are :bow: -ing him right now.

djhn579

Mar 11, 2003
Tonawanda, NY
Even the big market owners will make money on this deal, why would he be fired?

Hell, in 5 years, maybe the players will be making more money too. The NHLPA didn't want this deal, but it could be great for them in the long run...

ProctorSilex

Yes, he does.

I personally hate Bettman, since 1993 this league has been horrible and teams moved when they shouldn't have. TV has gone down, etc. etc.

But he won this war and stood his ground. I respect that, and I'm sure all 30 owners feel the same way.

Chaos Giraffe

Dec 1, 2004
Vancouver
Brath said:
After such a victory over the union, there is no way Bettman will be fired, he did what he set out to do. Goodnow on the other hand....... :nopity:

Goodenow was a joke through the whole process. I'm not sure what he was trying to do. He had the words, but no action to back them up.

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Wow some really surprising results. I do agree with all the points made. He did a great job, we lost a season but that wasn't entirely his fault.

We've had 2 lockouts under him.

The main reason I voted "No" was because like I said, I just think we need 2 fresh faces in charge. If guys like Colin Campbell and Mike Gartner could be the leaders of their respective sides, I think it would work wonders.

DARKSIDE

Nov 17, 2003
For all the Bettman haters, it look's like he'll have his job for as long as he wants it or at the very least the next CBA.

27theROCK

Jan 22, 2003
Visit site
I think Bettman keeps his job but i wish he would get fired. He is terrible! hes run the game into the ground. Hes taken a great game with alot of promise and ran it so badly that its now in the same category as arena football. He should be fired and get in a guy who knows how to market the game and be true to the games roots. I wanted a guy like Burke but i guess that wont happen. Maybe a gretzkey or someone would do it.

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
DARKSIDE said:
For all the Bettman haters, it look's like he'll have his job for as long as he wants it or at the very least the next CBA.

For the record, I do not hate Bettman. He knows what he is doing. He didn't try to play games.. At least not to the extent that Goodenow tried. He was professional and was only telling the truth to the NHLPA 90% of the time.

SENSible1*

The smart move would be for the owners to give him a healthy bonus for a job well done and then replace him to help relaunch the league.

ProctorSilex

27theROCK said:
Maybe a gretzkey or someone would do it.

Gretzky would be a mess. Sure he played the game like nobody else, but he has no legal sense, no business sense, no training in anything that would warrant him in a position like that.

Brian Burke on the other hand....

nyrmessier011

Feb 9, 2005
Charlotte/NYC
I refuse to vote either way because he will keep his job for what he did in the passed 10 months, but shouldn't be allowed to for what he's done in the passed 10 years...and don't respond with all the positive stuff he has done, because the negative is far, far worse, so don't even try to challenge this. The guy should be shot.

Traitor8

Nov 3, 2003
Visit site
I heard he had a 10 M $ bonus or something if he got them a hard cap..

anyways, why are some of you bashing Bettman? He's not the market person for the NHL. he's the commisioner. He can't go out there and market the game ..the NHL and every single team has a group of people who's job is to do that and when the product sucks ass, you can't really do much. I don't care who was in there instead of Bettman, no way he could of avoided the trap and all that has been going in Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Ottawa and a lot of other teams.

Vomiting Kermit*

The way Bettman handled himself throughout the lockout has forced me from hating him to being happy someone like him is in the NHL office.

Canucks5551

Jun 1, 2005
I think he will keep his job although I would prefer if he didn't. Not for this lockout, but the downward spiral the game has taken since he took charge.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
NO, But not for the reason you gave. The NHL will need a NEW FACE in the head office when this is over and there is NO WAY he should still be there.

FlyersFan10*

Bettman will keep his job, but he'll step down anyways. I think there was a hint that he was going to step down once this was done anyways. Back in September, Bettman stated on national tv that he wouldn't step down until a CBA was in place. Maybe he was being facetious at the time, but I've got a funny feeling that his image has taken a beating during this lockout and that he'll always be the face of two lockouts and as a commissioner, that should be a death knell. I've got a funny feeling it will be Bill Daly who takes over though and I think Bill will do a hell of a job.

ProctorSilex

FlyersFan10 said:
I've got a funny feeling it will be Bill Daly who takes over though and I think Bill will do a hell of a job.

I agree. Bill Daly was really the face of the NHL through this whole thing, he took the heat, he dealt with the media in a good way. He knows what he's talking about and seems to have a sharp mind for the game.

Ted Saskin on the other hand.... :biglaugh:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I think he will keep his job, but should add I think many people are either blaming him too much for the problems associated with the league or giving him too much credit for sticking it to the NHLPA this go around. The truth is somewhere in the middle. Personally, I think Bettman's tenure should be known as one of missed opportunities. Nothing more, nothing less.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad