Does Ben Bishop deserve a ring if the Stars win?

?

• yes

Votes: 63 92.6%
  • no

Votes: 5 7.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Does he not have 3 games?

What's the rule for backup goalies usually?

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Does he not have 3 games?

What's the rule for backup goalies usually?

Backups get one if they play 0 games, as well as their name on the cup. I believe they are somewhat exempt from the 41 games / playoff appearance / finals appearance rule. I could be wrong, but I believe the team is allowed to engrave the starters name + backup - but the pick is up to them.

Reactions: abo9

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
What? Backups who play zero games in the playoffs get their name on it every year, so why should a starter that gets injured not?

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
This can't be serious. A guy earns 21 wins during the season and there's someone questioning him getting a ring. What did Bishop do to the OP? I've seen the freaking national anthem singer and the arena organ player getting a ring. Damn right Ben Bishop deserves one. He'll also automatically get his name on the Cup because he played 44 games.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Teams typically give tons of people cup rings, including lots of staff beyond the players. The Bruins in 2011 apparently gave out 500+ rings (despite Jeremy Jacobs being cheap) and one of the recent Pens wins saw them give ones to players' wives. So yes, Bishop would and should get a ring.

If you mean his name on the cup, the criteria is:
  1. Must have played, or have dressed as the backup goaltender, for at least half of the championship team's regular season games. OR:
  2. Must have played, or have dressed as the backup goaltender, for at least one game of the Stanley Cup Finals for the championship team, AND:
  3. Must be on the roster when the team wins the Stanley Cup.

So Bishop fits the bill for getting his name on the cup automatically since he played in more than half the regular season games. Teams can also petition the league to add names if there's a good case for them, which they almost certainly would do if Bishop didn't meet the regular season threshold since he's been their starter for a couple years now and is obviously a big part of the team.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

NotLeddy

Trust the Yzerscam
Oct 23, 2018
Obviously

He was the Stars starter for the majority of their season and was a big factor in them making the playoffs, and couldn't start for them because he was injured. He played one game vs Calgary, struggled, knew he wasn't 100% and wasn't worth potentially jeopardizing the outcome of the games.

I think asking if Oettinger deserves a ring is a more reasonable question, but he still got some playing time in the one WCF game that they lost.

Letang got his name on the Cup in 2017 and didn't even play one playoff game, unlike Bishop or Oettinger.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Letang got his name on the Cup in 2017 and didn't even play one playoff game, unlike Bishop or Oettinger.
Name on the Cup =/= getting a championship ring.

Everybody and their dog gets a ring. Up to ownership how many they want to make. It can be in the hundreds. But there's only room for 52 names on the Cup, including coaching staff and front office.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad