Does Barzal deserve a suspension? (Update: fined $5k)

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Nope, the penalty was fine. He might get an inconsequential fine though just to set him straight.

Blueblood2

Nov 14, 2011
He should be forced to drop the gloves with Tampa's best fighter at initial faceoff....then serve his 5 minutes......and then move on.

Reactions: 3B

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
If Barzal gets suspended for that, bring in the Replacements because 3/4 of the players have gotten gloves up in the face.

GTFO out of here, Grandstanding OP.
Do you seriously compare a crosscheck to the face with a facewash? Or even a light punch? Barzal got off easy, he should've received double misconducts. One for the crosscheck, one for using physical force against the ref.

It should be at least 2 games, much more if it was the regular season.

zoA

Mar 23, 2010
There is no way he can play game 6 if he is diagnosed with a concussion as per the nhl concussion protocol.

Edit: Just to clarify I am in no way condoning what Barzal did at all, definitely a dirty move that does not belong in the game, dude definitely lost his cool. With that being said I think the 5 and a game was sufficient. That is really all I am trying to point out here.

Then just say that without all the ridiculously ignorant statements about concussions. Your posts so far in this thread have stood out for the wrong reason.

Bluto

Don't listen to me, I'm an idiot. TOGA! TOGA!
Dec 24, 2017
Tampa fans calling for Barzal to be suspended because being 19 million over the cap isnt a big enough advantage. :sarcasm:

NYR425

Sep 30, 2005
Lot more brutal than it looked actually, but I don't really see a suspension happening. Like someone said, a fine seems likely

that was much worse then what Buchnevich did to get his 1 game suspension during the season. Could have easily broken the jaw of the TB player. But as Cassidy said in the Boston series it doesn't fit the narrative of the NY Saints so it will be overlooked.

NYR425

Sep 30, 2005
If Barzal gets suspended for that, bring in the Replacements because 3/4 of the players have gotten gloves up in the face.

GTFO out of here, Grandstanding OP.
and a glove to the face is the same as a vicious crosscheck to the face?

DMB06

Jun 3, 2015
He definitely should, but won't. The problem is there is no set precedent for this kind of thing because the league seems to change how they look at things from one case to the next. The fact is, a player became angry and used his stick to hit someone in the face. Of course that's worthy of a suspension and it's not really up for debate, but as I've stated it's very unlikely it happens.

Reactions: Hoek

Mach2

Jan 15, 2021
Intentional cross-check to the head = 1 game minimum. All hits to the head are taken very seriously by the DOPS.

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal
There is no such rule, if a spotter determines a player has a concussion they must sit for the remainder of the game, they aren't forced out of the lineup in future games.

Spotters cannot diagnose. Spotter can suspect that a player may have a concussion.
It's the doctors that do it.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Ordinarily I'd say that five and a game misconduct is punishment enough, but really now. This came at the end of the second period and the score was 0-6. All the damage was already done and it didn't really cost his team anything. They had already dug themselves into an impossible hole.

I've no problem with supplementary discipline for egregious stick fouls where the head is concerned.

If they gave him a game I'd be fine with it. If they gave him a fine, I'd be game for that as well.

Reactions: Hoek

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
I'd be shocked in DOPS suspends him for this. I bet its another $5000 fine.

Barzal has gotten a lot of deserved pub for this post season, but he really comes off like a brat most of the time. This hit and then the obvious scared running away is not a great look.

Reactions: ultra63

Cyclones21

Easily Triggered
Do you guys think Rutta's status should/will impact the Barzal decision? I have been reading a lot of reactions and it is divided pretty evenly.

I know Tampa Bay's cap circumvention was mentioned. The game situation, down 6-0 - there was certainly a low risk to "send a message" or try and impact the next game by a hard hit. I don't think a player is processing that during the heat of a game. However, Tampa Bay losing Rutta on a play like that is different than Clutterbuck's clean check on Carlo from the Boston/New York series.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
If he gets suspended it will be 1 game but it didn't look deliberate enough to warrant an extra game. It looked more like shoving. So I think the 5 and game will be sufficient.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad