Does Barzal deserve a suspension? (Update: fined $5k)

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
There is no way he can play game 6 if he is diagnosed with a concussion as per the nhl concussion protocol.

Edit: Just to clarify I am in no way condoning what Barzal did at all, definitely a dirty move that does not belong in the game, dude definitely lost his cool. With that being said I think the 5 and a game was sufficient. That is really all I am trying to point out here.

There is no such rule, if a spotter determines a player has a concussion they must sit for the remainder of the game, they aren't forced out of the lineup in future games.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Neither was DeAngelo's a few seasons ago and he got 3 (which I thought was excessive).

Yep, I think if nothing else it's jut one more thing that should collectively add up to a steeper punishment than what was handed out by the referees tonight. I don't know the context of DeAngelo's suspension, but it's important to keep in mind is that the refs didn't penalize Barzal for contact, so it's not automatic. It's up to the DOPS

Bread and Circuses

Smile and wave.
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2010
Somewhere in the middle
There is no such rule, if a spotter determines a player has a concussion they must sit for the remainder of the game, they aren't forced out of the lineup in future games.

Right from the NHL concussion protocol:

Players who are diagnosed with a concussion should undergo an initial, brief period of physical and cognitive rest (e.g., 24-48 hours). Players can then become gradually and progressively more exposed to activities (a “graded return-to-play progression”) that do not provoke cognitive and physical symptoms (i.e., increased activity level should not bring on or worsen symptoms). An example of a graded return-to-play progression is provided below. Generally, each step should take 24 hours. However, the time frame at each step may vary with Player age, history, etc., and management must be individualized.

There are 6 steps to pass to return to play, that is 6 days minimum if following the protocol.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Same can be said for anyone else commenting on this.

That's true, but we are admitting that there is ambiguity. You are making a definitive statement that Rutta did not suffer a concussion because he skated off the ice. This conversation thread started when you said that Rutta was trying to sell the penalty, but I want you to understand that shots to the head should never be taken lightly. Chronic concussions, and worse, CTE later in life is one of the dark sides to physical sports. Once you suffer one concussion, it becomes much easier to suffer a second one and eventually may get to the point where benign contact is all that's needed. Many careers end early because of that(Lindros...potentially Ekblad...etc.)

WojtekWolski86

Nov 14, 2019
That did not look like aggressive contact to me, I thought he was just trying to put the ref between himself and incoming Hedman.

Doesn't matter if its aggressive. He grabbed the linesman' arm and forciably removed it.

40.1 Game Misconduct – Any player who deliberately applies physical force in any manner against an official, in any manner attempts to injure an official, physically demeans, or deliberately applies physical force to an official solely for the purpose of getting free of such an official during or immediately following an altercation shall receive a game misconduct penalty. In addition, the following (40.2, 40.3, 40.4) disciplinary penalties shall apply.

Just google the DeAngelo abuse of official video, Barzal essentially does the same act.

Reactions: Hoek

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010

Players who are diagnosed with a concussion should undergo an initial, brief period of physical and cognitive rest (e.g., 24-48 hours). Players can then become gradually and progressively more exposed to activities (a “graded return-to-play progression”) that do not provoke cognitive and physical symptoms (i.e., increased activity level should not bring on or worsen symptoms). An example of a graded return-to-play progression is provided below. Generally, each step should take 24 hours. However, the time frame at each step may vary with Player age, history, etc., and management must be individualized.

There are 6 steps to pass to return to play, that is 6 days minimum if following the protocol.
you don't get what you're quoting

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay

Link, I'm not sure where you are getting the recovery time table

BoltsOfAnarchy

May 12, 2018
Largo
I think even most TBL fans would agree, that the punishment has already been served based on the play, based on previous similar scenarios. But the DOPS always seems to have a new way of interpreting & reviewing these plays. As much as I wouldn’t want barzal against us in game 6, I think it’s fair as it is. Plus , Rutta raising his arms to defend/block the check likely raised the check up to his face. It’s quick & hard to see but anyone who’s played knows what I mean.

Reactions: skinnyFAT91

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay

This isn't deterministic. If a spotter identifies him as having a concussion, he has to sit out the remainder of the game, that is the only rule. He is not forced out of subsequent games, these are guidelines, it is ultimately up to Rutta and the team physician as to whether he is able to return. This same situation happened to Crosby a few seasons ago, where it looked like he suffered an obvious concussion but didn't miss any games.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
Please elaborate.

I am asking honestly, because the way it reads to me is that any player diagnosed with a concussion has to pass all 6 steps prior to return to play with each step being around 24 hours apart.
it says each step varies by player (stop glossing over that) so "each step being around 24 hours apart" is an inaccurate interpretation and all steps can be completed in less than 24 hours. it's the stages with an example, not a mandatory sequential process as you're taking it

Sinistril

Oct 26, 2008
Didn't watch the game but it was at the end of the second in a blowout game? Not sure a game misconduct is adequate because of that circumstance. Not like its any real punishment for him. Oh well. I have no dog in this fight. Stars should be held to the same standard as everyone else though.

Meuracas

Nov 2, 2013
I don’t think Barzal deserves a suspension and for the sake of the series I hope he doesn’t get one either...but you never know these days :/

theimmortal1

Sep 26, 2020
A game misconduct while down 6 and a period to go isn’t discipline. That’s a gift.

Yes he deserves to be suspended. It was unprovoked (physically). He basically attacked a player at the end of the period and cross checked him in the face.

That type of goon behavior doesn’t have a spot in the league

Pogotheclown

Oct 11, 2015
I hope he gets the same punishment as Scheiffe from the Jets. Lets see if the NHL is serious about protecting its' player or just wanted to propel MTL to further promote the conspiracies I have heard.

You honestly think thoose two incidents are comparable?

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
giphy.gif

5K fine

Players get sticks and gloves to the jaw all the time. Not every one deserves a suspension. Kadri deliberately targeted the head and was in the open ice. This was simply a battle that went too far, 5 and a game is the right call. Fine him sure, which should really be a lot higher than 5k but the PA is one stubborn ass.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->