Does Barzal deserve a suspension? (Update: fined $5k)

NHL Review

Twitter: @nhl_review
Oct 27, 2019
Lets just see if Rutta is back for game 6, or 7.

So you’re backtracking.. got it

I’m sure if he doesn’t you’ll own the fact that you’re wrong, right? Because you’ll definitely be proclaiming that you were correct if he does. Which is ridiculous because you are not a doctor and cannot diagnose concussions, and it’s clear you’ve never researched the subject

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
He should probably get one but won't. 5000 and fine a slap on the wrist. Scheen just needs to to do the same to him next game.

Bread and Circuses

Smile and wave.
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2010
Somewhere in the middle
So because he wasn't carried off of the ice he didn't suffer a concussion? You must be new to sports if you think concussions come with obvious and severe signs

Concussions that make you lay motionless on the ice for 30 seconds, then make you get up and skate off on your own accord make me suspicious.

Maybe I am wrong, time will tell and if so I'll gladly admit I was wrong.

PaulGG

May 15, 2011
Doesn’t matter if he plays or not. He continues to not impress and is hugely overrated.

Bread and Circuses

Smile and wave.
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2010
Somewhere in the middle
So you’re backtracking.. got it

I’m sure if he doesn’t you’ll own the fact that you’re wrong, right? Because you’ll definitely be proclaiming that you were correct if he does. Which is ridiculous because you are not a doctor and cannot diagnose concussions, and it’s clear you’ve never researched the subject

I suffered a serious enough concussion to require reconstructive surgery to my face and months of rehab, but you are right I know nothing about them.

NHL Review

Twitter: @nhl_review
Oct 27, 2019
Concussions that make you lay motionless on the ice for 30 seconds, then make you get up and skate off on your own accord make me suspicious.

Yeah again you don’t understand how concussions work. That’s fine, but do your research before spewing clearly false and misleading information.

EDIT: I’m sorry to hear about your injury but yes, you don’t know if you think that because someone got up they are not concussed. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen a player be in this exact same situation and have a concussion. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen a player finish the game and then be out the next with an “upper body injury” after being hit in the head. There is no magic formula. Some lose consciousness, some don’t. Some have immediate symptoms, others are delayed. My concussions have never resulted in nausea or light sensitivity, others those are the main symptoms. It’s totally unique

Reactions: Luc Labelle

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Optics are way worse than the reality but that doesn't mean the offense is not condemnable. Beyond disappointed in Barzal to resort to this in a blowout game and potentially take himself off the ice in an elimination game.

He took a page out of Scheifles playbook tonight and you have a responsibility as the franchise center to lead by example, whether you have a letter on your sweater or not.

Rutta's reaction was melodrama and many old time hockey guys would've liked to see him shake it off but Barzal is the one to blame here. I'd say it's 50/50 that he gets a game. With all the criticism about the MTL VGK game and officiating, they could make an example out of Barzal.

Reactions: Stammertime91

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Yeah again you don’t understand how concussions work. That’s fine, but do your research before spewing clearly false and misleading information.

EDIT: I’m sorry to hear about your injury but he’s, you don’t know if you think that because someone got up they are not concussed. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen a player be in this exact same situation and have a concussion. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen a player finish the game and then be out the next with an “upper body injury” after being hit in the head

I got a concussion during high school hockey (the guy checked me 2-3 feet away from the boards and my head hit the red upper border of the boards hard. I finished my shift and the game (dumb I know).

Reactions: NHL Safety Watch

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay

Are you a doctor? Him playing in game 6 or 7 doesn't mean he didn't have a concussion.

I ask that you watch the replay again and watch Rutta after the headshot. That isn't the reaction of someone with all of their motor skills fully operational.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
I think it looks worst on the replay than in real time actually.

Not sure tbh, seems like stuff that happens pretty regularly in scrums around the net.

Also seems worst because they were singled out, and not 10 players doing it at once

Bread and Circuses

Smile and wave.
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2010
Somewhere in the middle
Are you a doctor? Him playing in game 6 or 7 doesn't mean he didn't have a concussion.

I ask that you watch the replay again and watch Rutta after the headshot. That isn't the reaction of someone with all of their motor skills fully operational.

There is no way he can play game 6 if he is diagnosed with a concussion as per the nhl concussion protocol.

Edit: Just to clarify I am in no way condoning what Barzal did at all, definitely a dirty move that does not belong in the game, dude definitely lost his cool. With that being said I think the 5 and a game was sufficient. That is really all I am trying to point out here.

Last edited:

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
I hope he gets the same punishment as Scheiffe from the Jets. Lets see if the NHL is serious about protecting its' player or just wanted to propel MTL to further promote the conspiracies I have heard.

solidaritypucks

Oct 25, 2019
I hope he gets the same punishment as Scheiffe from the Jets. Lets see if the NHL is serious about protecting its' player or just wanted to propel MTL to further promote the conspiracies I have heard.

The media went ape over the Evans hit. MTL boosters definitely used their influence there.

TheFurryPickle

Mar 9, 2019

LOL you have NEVER played contact sport I take it. It shows by this comment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->