Does Anyone Think There Will Be A Season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lady Rhian

The Only Good Indian
Jan 9, 2003
Lakes Region, NH
No, I don't. After today, I am just not confident of one. Too much time has passed, this, IMO, was the last chance to get a season going or fold for the year.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Hedberg16 said:
Does anyone think there will be a season?

Personally, I believe they meet again on the weekend and we will hear an annoucement on Tuesday.
Sure there will be a Season ..

Spring is just around the corner , Summer is quaranteed and Fall and Winter will no doubt follow that

NO

I Hate You All*

Nope. Everyone is going to have to sit this one out.

X0ssbar

I'll continue to believe until I read "Season Sh**canned" on TSN.com.

EaGLE1

Feb 17, 2004
Quebec City
No season. It's even worst than roller-coasters. One day i think there will be hockey, the next day i don't.

But right now, i would say no.

ResidentAlien*

It is almost impossible to imagine a year without the NHL. I keep hoping that a couple elfs will stroll in and make it snow in some southern town, much to the displeasure of the Heat Miser, but I digress.

Logic would dictate that all parties concerned must know what all the experts here at HF agree on, and that is the level of damage that would be done to an irrepreable measure if there were no season.

We can only hope that the recent sense of urgency that has been displayed by the " Bob & Betty Show" is genuine, and that the stomping of feet and failure to offically call it a day is a sign. Hopefully, we will be able to tell Virginia that yes, indeed there is an NHL.

roadrunner

Jul 25, 2003
U Can'tTake Me Alive
Visit site
It's still mathematically possible to have a 30 game season, but they will have to extend the calander into April a bit. Not the end of the world if that happened. It might be the end of the NHL's health if it DOESN'T happen. Players and owners will BOTH lose.

I'd think that these "philisophical differences" can be set aside and a temporary CBA can be achieved. Part of that agreement would have to be manditory meetings of both sides (perhaps monthly) to hammer out a long-term deal. Neither side is going to hit a home run this year, it seems. No NHL this year could be disasterous to a very gate dependant league.

Crazy Lunatic

roadrunner said:
It's still mathematically possible to have a 30 game season, but they will have to extend the calander into April a bit. Not the end of the world if that happened. It might be the end of the NHL's health if it DOESN'T happen. Players and owners will BOTH lose.

I'd think that these "philisophical differences" can be set aside and a temporary CBA can be achieved.

That would be the absolute worst thing that could come of this. A "temporary CBA" agreed to just to have a bastardized joke of a season would only insure this garbage to take place next year. You don't come this far to agree to a "temporary" solution. A temporary solution is no solution at all.

MarkZackKarl

Jun 29, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
ouch

It would be pretty strange to try and see an NHL team sell season tickets, ads, suites or TV deals after a 2 year lockout. I would fathom that it would almost be impossible.

Poignant Discussion*

I tell it like it is
Jul 18, 2003
Gatineau, QC
scaredsensfan said:
It would be pretty strange to try and see an NHL team sell season tickets, ads, suites or TV deals after a 2 year lockout. I would fathom that it would almost be impossible.

Hell I think its quite possible that the Tampa Bay Lightning will be the last team awarded the Stanley Cup in the NHL

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Yes, I do think they will come to an agreement, have a shortened season in the 28-30 games range, then the standard four-rounds playoff format.

Does it perhaps diminish the legitimacy of the championship this year? Maybe, but the damage that taking off the whole year plus likely the first half of next season could do is a far more pressing worry, and I think it's a fear felt by both sides. They will get this done, and start the season around March 1.

mvp76

Aug 21, 2004
planet earth
No,but they better make damn sure there is one next year.
Players will cave eventually.They are trying to stand tall but the owners as sad as it is have an advantage.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I think there will be a short season also, 28-32 games and the playoffs may have to have a couple of round the best of 5...There is a deal to be made there and once Gary and Bob take the weekend off and start talking again on Monday(according to Damien Cox) then we should put an end to this fiasco of a lockout...Why these 2 morons couldn't have done this back in Sept/Oct I don;t know... :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :madfire:

roadrunner

Jul 25, 2003
U Can'tTake Me Alive
Visit site
BLONG7 said:
...Why these 2 morons couldn't have done this back in Sept/Oct I don;t know... :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :madfire:

I'm with you on that. But it's quite clear to us now. Goodenow even said that the best deals are done in the eleventh hour. He's not the first businessman to use that tactic, either. Pressure can cause people to take more drastic steps. Not so sure it's working this time, though!

roadrunner

Jul 25, 2003
U Can'tTake Me Alive
Visit site
Crazy Lunatic said:
That would be the absolute worst thing that could come of this. A "temporary CBA" agreed to just to have a bastardized joke of a season would only insure this garbage to take place next year. You don't come this far to agree to a "temporary" solution. A temporary solution is no solution at all.

You are right. If you read the rest of my post, you will see that I agree with this idea. I ALSO said:

roadrunner said:
Part of that agreement would have to be manditory meetings of both sides (perhaps monthly) to hammer out a long-term deal. Neither side is going to hit a home run this year, it seems. No NHL this year could be disasterous to a very gate dependant league.

So in a sense, I agree with most of what you said. "A temporary solution is no solution at all"?? I'm not so sure about that.

In 1994, I thought I read that the partail season had some kind of temporary arrangement, and the full 10 years of the CBA wasn't actually completed in 1994. I could be wrong, and would be interested in learning more about that. :help:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad