Does anyone still think we're a playoff team?

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I definitely do not want to trade away prospects/picks for a rent-a-body or aging mediocre vet that might get us into the playoffs.
Only contending teams should do that. A team making a win now trade just to make the playoffs is dooming the future. If the Coyotes can make a hockey trade that propels them into the playoffs, great. That is unlikely though.

Hoping against hope that ownership has enough $ to actually pursue a top UFA in the summer.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Only contending teams should do that. A team making a win now trade just to make the playoffs is dooming the future. If the Coyotes can make a hockey trade that propels them into the playoffs, great. That is unlikely though.

Hoping against hope that ownership has enough $ to actually pursue a top UFA in the summer.
Unless we have a new owner, I don't see us landing a top tier 6 mill+ UFA. I am not a big fan of signing expensive UFA's as a strategy. We did it with Ribs and Smith. You have a high risk they won't live up to their contract. I had rather make trades or sign value UFA's like Grabner/Richardson types of players. You fill a need, don't over pay, and know what you are getting. We need for Keller/Fischer/Chych/DVO to improve and come through for us, along with Hayton for us to really get better.

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Any playoff predictor that is changing by 5% when a team loses a non conference road game with 30+ games left in the season is completely useless. A room full of developmentally disabled chimpanzees could design a better algorithm than whatever that website is using.

Yeah, I agree it looks a bit much. From what I've understood, they do an estimate of the probability of making a point or a win based on current results, and then add it to the standing. Relatively easy stuff. Of course, with a loss you then get a somewhat worse probability for points on each of the remainding games, and from a lower starting point, so you drop a lot with a loss.

Don't know if I got that right... but the important thing is what we see: Team is not out. This is not like last year.

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Don't forget we were in the bidding for JVR, so maybe we will be in the bidding again this summer for top UFAs. It's not exactly like we broke the bank with Grabner to prevent future signings.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Unless we have a new owner, I don't see us landing a top tier 6 mill+ UFA. I am not a big fan of signing expensive UFA's as a strategy. We did it with Ribs and Smith. You have a high risk they won't live up to their contract. I had rather make trades or sign value UFA's like Grabner/Richardson types of players. You fill a need, don't over pay, and know what you are getting. We need for Keller/Fischer/Chych/DVO to improve and come through for us, along with Hayton for us to really get better.
We don't need to improve our bottom 6. We need top 6 players, so if we only sign value UFA's at this point we'd be just spinning our wheels.

Reactions: azcanuck

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
We don't need to improve our bottom 6. We need top 6 players, so if we only sign value UFA's at this point we'd be just spinning our wheels.

Haven't much looked at the UFA class this year, looks like there are a decent number of top 6 names available unlike some of the recent years. Though how much you want to overpay them is always an issue.

Here's what the top 12 looks like going into the offseason:
Keller - Schmaltz - Galchenyuk
Garland - Stepan - Fischer
Cousins - Dvorak - Hinostroza
Grabner - Richardson - Crouse

These guys are all under contract or we own their rights.

I think the biggest weakness is #1C, #2C (Stepan's current production if it holds is not even #2 center level), #1 RW.

If we could find a #1C we'd have done it by now so I'm just going to assume we're ignoring this problem.

Since we're a budget team we're going to have to make some bets. The obvious one that we've already made with his contract is Dvorak will be #2 C level at some point. So we hold Stepan/Dvorak and hope it works out in that Dvorak takes his place.

Fischer is currently penciled in the top 6 and he's not consistent enough for that right now or maybe ever. I don't think Galchenyuk is even a 2nd line player 5 on 5 either so any RW help we could bring in is important. Garland is still far from a sure thing as well, he plays either wing.

What have we got available on the market?
Panarin (not happening)
Pavelski (not happening)
Skinner (maybe, but I think he's gonna get STUPID money which I don't think we'll be spending)
Simmonds (declining physical forward, scary to overpay here)
Lee (he'll get a lot of money but maybe not as much as Skinner)
Stone (not happening)
Staal (not happening)
Duchene (not happening)
Silfverberg (probably not a true top 6 guy, but close given his 2 way game)
Eberle (lots of PP goals, not sure he's a top 6 guy 5 on 5 similar to Galchenyuk)
Nelson (late bloomer or hot streak?)
Hayes ( Seems to be in the right age range Chayka likes his vets)

That's actually a pretty substantial list of players available compared to other recent years. A few of them we could probably even afford, particularly if we ship out a little $ on D.

I'd kick the tires on Lee, Silf, Nelson, and Hayes. Never been a big Eberle fan. Simmonds is too old. Skinner will be too expensive.

Reactions: MIG

Antonche

Jan 13, 2015
Russia, Siberia.
Haven't much looked at the UFA class this year, looks like there are a decent number of top 6 names available unlike some of the recent years. Though how much you want to overpay them is always an issue.

I think the biggest weakness is #1C, #2C (Stepan's current production if it holds is not even #2 center level), #1 RW.

If we could find a #1C we'd have done it by now so I'm just going to assume we're ignoring this problem.

Since we're a budget team we're going to have to make some bets. The obvious one that we've already made with his contract is Dvorak will be #2 C level at some point. So we hold Stepan/Dvorak and hope it works out in that Dvorak takes his place.

Fischer is currently penciled in the top 6 and he's not consistent enough for that right now or maybe ever. I don't think Galchenyuk is even a 2nd line player 5 on 5 either so any RW help we could bring in is important. Garland is still far from a sure thing as well, he plays either wing.

Panarin (not happening)
Pavelski (not happening)
Skinner (maybe, but I think he's gonna get STUPID money which I don't think we'll be spending)
Stone (not happening)
Staal (not happening)
Duchene (not happening)
Eberle (lots of PP goals, not sure he's a top 6 guy 5 on 5 similar to Galchenyuk)

That's actually a pretty substantial list of players available compared to other recent years. A few of them we could probably even afford, particularly if we ship out a little $ on D.

I'd kick the tires on Lee, Silf, Nelson, and Hayes. Never been a big Eberle fan. Simmonds is too old. Skinner will be too expensive.
What about Nyquist?)

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I'd take a run at Skinner, and what the hell, maybe Panarin would like his own franchise a la what Lemieux did for the non hockey city of Pittsburgh and what Gretzky did for a none too popular Kings.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
What about Nyquist?)

Wasn't on the list of players I was looking at for whatever reason.
I generally like Nyquist but I always get nervous with players who are having their best season right at UFA time. And he's a little older than the others. He's better than several of our players obviously but he's also kinda samey with the rest of our roster (under 6ft pass first). I originally wanted him like a year and a half ago to be slotted in about where Galchenyuk is. I think some of the other guys bring size/two way play to the table as well.

But that's sort of the good thing about this offseason is there are enough potential names out there that we'll have more places to look than usual.

Also I still don't think bottom 6 signings are off the table provided we ship out some pieces. I like Crouse but he could easily be upgraded. So could Cousins, Hinostroza, or even Fischer.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Go get Burakovsky so I can see:

Garland- Dvo - Keller
Schmaltz- Burakovsky- Galchenyuk
Hinostroza- Stepan- Fischer/Cousins
Crouse/Cousins- Richardson- Grabner
Bunting, Archibald

If we can afford an UFA on top, even better.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I'd take a run at Skinner, and what the hell, maybe Panarin would like his own franchise a la what Lemieux did for the non hockey city of Pittsburgh and what Gretzky did for a none too popular Kings.

Skinner apparently asked for 9+ from Buffalo with massive term.

I think he'll get at least 8 on the open market, probably more given his combination of age and goal scoring ability. I don't think we're paying Skinner OEL money.
We supposedly offered JVR around 6m per. He ended up going for 7. I think for a better quality player we might up the offer a bit. But I'd be surprised if we offer a UFA anything over the 7m number. And even to pull that off I think someone's gotta go.

Schmaltz is going to get some number starting with at least a 4 as well.

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
IIRC, Schmaltz was looking upwards of 5.5 from Chicago, which no doubt contributed to them letting him go. His injury might be a blessing in disguise, Chayka could be looking at a bridge deal.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio

Biggest weaknesses in the top six, other than elite talent, in your projected lineup are both the 2nd line wingers. Neither of them are remotely close to adaquate for a top six role on a contending team.

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Then we shouldn't sign UFA wingers, its a trap. Guys like Skinner will be a fortune and wingers aren't generally major difference makers. I would pay up for a 1C or top pairing RHD as UFA's, but not a winger. I would rather make a trade and get somebody at a better value to fill a top 6 winger role.

Reactions: Jakey53

Antonche

Jan 13, 2015
Russia, Siberia.
Then we shouldn't sign UFA wingers, its a trap. Guys like Skinner will be a fortune and wingers aren't generally major difference makers. I would pay up for a 1C or top pairing RHD as UFA's, but not a winger. I would rather make a trade and get somebody at a better value to fill a top 6 winger role.
We needs players, who can score.

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I hope we go the way of offer sheets, whether it's Matthews or another player. Brayden Point? You either get the player or shake something loose in a trade.

I don't really buy budget as an excuse for this. The money is there. We're spending like 7 mil on Panik+Weal+Smith+Bolland. You might have to cheat the bottom lines to fit the budget but we have cheap and worthwhile players like Garland on ELCs.

Aho is another player and I think there's a number that makes Carolina uncomfortable.

Imaravencawcaw

Jul 19, 2018
With Bolland and Mike Smith coming off the books this summer that'll free up $6.9 million instantly. This will be the summer where Chayka could take a run a top end UFA and still be in the penny-pinching category.

Of course the owner would have to pay real money instead of having the Bolland contract covered by insurance...

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Are we paying any of Hossa's $5 mil? He's under contract thru 2020-21.

And what about Ribeiro's $2 mil? Yet another season to go.

We sure do shell out a lot for guys that don't suit up

Reactions: _Del_

cobra427

May 6, 2012
We needs players, who can score.
I agree, but if we pay anything above 6 mill to a UFA, he better be a 1C or top pairing RHD. UFA isn't the way for a poor club like ours to get to the next leve, and I wouldn't spend that kind of money on a winger.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Are we paying any of Hossa's $5 mil? He's under contract thru 2020-21.

And what about Ribeiro's $2 mil? Yet another season to go.

We sure do shell out a lot for guys that don't suit up

I think someone figured out Hossa was paid 100 or 200K. His contract is actually just 1 mill, check out at capfriendly. And then insured, and this gives an actual cost of 10 or 20 percent.

Ribeiro, you probably pay...o_O

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA

Panarin (not happening)
Pavelski (not happening)
Stone (not happening)
Staal (not happening)
Duchene (not happening)

I would grab both of these guys, even if we need to move a few bodies to make it happen.

Lee - Schmaltz - Keller
Galchenyuk - Dvorak - Silfverberg
Crouse - Stepan - Fisher
Grabner - Richardson - Hinostroza
Garland

OEL - Hjalmersson
Chychrun - Demers
POJ/Capo - Goose
Lyubushkin

Letting Panik, Weal, Pickard, and Oesterle walk would open up $6.0m.

Move Goose or Demers for picks/prospects where possible, freeing up another $4.0m-$5.5m.

Smith falls off in the summer, that's another ~$2.0m.

I think we could afford to pay at least one of Lee or Silfverberg on top of the raises going to Chychrun, OEL, Dvorak, Schmaltz, and Crouse. If we can't then we are in big trouble because this team is getting close to the point where it's going to need to pony up to hit that next level.

Imaravencawcaw

Jul 19, 2018
I wouldn't trade for him at the deadline, but I like Michael Ferland as a target to sign as a UFA. Think he's in that second tier where he'll be getting a contract somewhere below $5 million

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->