Does anyone still think we're a playoff team?

RufusG

May 23, 2017
I still can't tell how good our defense is. The stats are certainly impressive, and it seems there have been a handful of really flukey goals too amongst the 20 given up. The goalies are obviously playing great, but it doesn't seem like we've given up loads of great chances like in the past. Tampa had some really good puck movement at times last night but never really seemed to cause major breakdowns. If we can maintain something close to the current stinginess it will be hard to miss the playoffs, but it's a long season.

Reactions: cobra427

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I still can't tell how good our defense is. The stats are certainly impressive, and it seems there have been a handful of really flukey goals too amongst the 20 given up. The goalies are obviously playing great, but it doesn't seem like we've given up loads of great chances like in the past. Tampa had some really good puck movement at times last night but never really seemed to cause major breakdowns. If we can maintain something close to the current stinginess it will be hard to miss the playoffs, but it's a long season.
I think our team D has been good, the big difference this year being the forwards back checking and forechecking more consistently. A healthy D core and Raanta being healthy has helped as well. Shots against are pretty low and scoring chances seem to be down this year. We have the lowest GAA in the NHL, and yes if that continues, we will be in the playoffs.

Reactions: MIG and Jakey53

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
As of 4 Nov 18

Traditional Standings

Central
NSH 22
MIN 18
WPG 17

Pacific
CGY 19
VAN 18
EDM 17

Wild Card
COL 17
SJS 17

DAL 16
CHI 15
ANA 15
ARI 14
VGK 13
STL 11
LAK 09

Points Percentage Standings

Central
NSH .786
MIN .692
DAL .615

Pacific
EDM .654
CGY .633
SJS .607

Wild Card
WPG .607
COL .607

VAN .600
ARI .583
CHI .500
ANA .500
VGK .464
STL .458
LAK .346

With a win tonight against Philly, we'd have a .615 points percentage, putting us in 3rd place in the division.

Last edited:

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
I think our team D has been good, the big difference this year being the forwards back checking and forechecking more consistently. A healthy D core and Raanta being healthy has helped as well. Shots against are pretty low and scoring chances seem to be down this year. We have the lowest GAA in the NHL, and yes if that continues, we will be in the playoffs.
Another factor, I think, is Giveaway/Takeaway. I can't find specific data points anywhere, but I believe we are turning the puck over significantly less and taking the puck away (especially our 3rd line) more. Main reason we've had so many odd man rushes and given up so few.

Can anyone find that Team Giveaway/Takeaway metrics?

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Another factor, I think, is Giveaway/Takeaway. I can't find specific data points anywhere, but I believe we are turning the puck over significantly less and taking the puck away (especially our 3rd line) more. Main reason we've had so many odd man rushes and given up so few.

Can anyone find that Team Giveaway/Takeaway metrics?

https://www.foxsports.com/nhl/arizona-coyotes-team-stats?season=2018&category=DEFENSE&time=0

I added it up manually for you. We have 78 takeaways and 83 giveaways, for a TA/GA ratio of 0.94.

Last season we had 612 takeaways and 600 giveaways for a TA/GA ratio of 1.02.

The sample size so far this season is small but it's actually a slight decrease in ratio we've had so far.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
If you're possessing the puck more you have less opportunity to take it away.

Great point. Unfortunately this was not true most of the game against the Hurricanes :biglaugh:

But it was very true in those early games where the Yotes in were control most of it but lost or barely won.

Reactions: azcanuck

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Am I right in my math, if I say, with a regulation/overtime win over Detroit, and an Edmontian defeat for Montreal, Yotes will be holding on to wildcard 2?

Yeah, and I don't believe in jinxing. Sorry. Of course, I do believe Detroit will pull themselves together a lot when the Coyotes arrive, so it is that.

But still? :arr:

Edit: and as Edmonton-Montreal starts later, (and it is not a game they have in hand, but the next game, to) it means the Yotes can be in playoff-spot by own machine for a while... if the math is right.

Last edited:

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
What is toughness anyway? Speed rules, you can't beat on guys in front of the net any more. Forechecking and completing checks is important. Have you noticed the big slow D men and power forwards are all but gone now. Speed without skill and smarts is useless, so we are young, but we have it. We just need some more finishes and we will be fine. We have skill guys now that can step up.
so wrong on so many levels.
The ultimate player now who we could add would be a prime Milan Lucic. But that player no longer exists in hockey today.
Fighting is almost irrelevant.
Competing in the corners and in front of the net and even throwing your body around a little bit (gasp!) is still a huge element if you can bring it.
Coyotes have far too many softies among the skilled forwards we have.
I put that a lot of Chyka and his way of measuring hockey players. Not saying he's not done a good job, he just needs to round out this team going forward.
Just look around the league and /or watch the playoffs. It's those gritty skilled guys that advance your team. Guys like Marchand are not big but his heart and compete level are off the chart.
I wish some of our softie forwards played more like Christian Fischer.

Last edited:

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
We probably are, just about. I saw we ended the previous season with 17 wins and 10 losses. If we take it from there we should make it. After the win against the Caps Hjalmarson was saying confidence is growing within the group.

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
Am I right in my math, if I say, with a regulation/overtime win over Detroit, and an Edmontian defeat for Montreal, Yotes will be holding on to wildcard 2?

Yeah, and I don't believe in jinxing. Sorry. Of course, I do believe Detroit will pull themselves together a lot when the Coyotes arrive, so it is that.

But still? :arr:

Edit: and as Edmonton-Montreal starts later, (and it is not a game they have in hand, but the next game, to) it means the Yotes can be in playoff-spot by own machine for a while... if the math is right.

If we get a ROW, we'd be tied with the Avalanche: games played (17), in points (19), and ROW (8). The Avalanche have a +9 goal differential while ours is +6. I think we'll need to win by 4 goals to get the WC2 spot to ourselves.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
so wrong on so many levels.
The ultimate player now who we could add would be a prime Milan Lucic. But that player no longer exists in hockey today.
Fighting is almost irrelevant.
Competing in the corners and in front of the net and even throwing your body around a little bit (gasp!) is still a huge element if you can bring it.
Coyotes have far too many softies among the skilled forwards we have.
I put that a lot of Chyka and his way of measuring hockey players. Not saying he's not done a good job, he just needs to round out this team going forward.
Just look around the league and /or watch the playoffs. It's those gritty skilled guys that advance your team. Guys like Marchand are not big but his heart and compete level are off the chart.
I wish some of our softie forwards played more like Christian Fischer.
Not sure of your point. Fischer has been inconsistent, he isn’t the model NHL player. I like gritty players but not at the expense of quickness and puck moving ability.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
To answer the OP question at this point, maybe. If we keep playing like we have been this season, we're neither "definitely" a playoff team nor are we "definitely not" a playoff team.

While watching the Coyotes in the playoffs would be fun, I really don't care either way, because if we do sneak into the playoffs (no doubt as a wild card team or in the 3rd Pacific spot), we're totally getting our asses handed to us in the first round, and I'm completely fine with that.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
To answer the OP question at this point, maybe. If we keep playing like we have been this season, we're neither "definitely" a playoff team nor are we "definitely not" a playoff team.

While watching the Coyotes in the playoffs would be fun, I really don't care either way, because if we do sneak into the playoffs (no doubt as a wild card team or in the 3rd Pacific spot), we're totally getting our asses handed to us in the first round, and I'm completely fine with that.
Agree, we'll be on the bubble all year. However, if we get in, it will likely be with the #3Pacific spot and with our defense I'd give us at least a 50% shot against whoever lands at #2Pacific (assuming it's not SJ).

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
I'd like to see how we do the rest of the month after tonight's game. Six of those seven games are against teams currently in playoff position. The only one that isn't is Vegas.

NSH
BOS
VGK
COL
CGY
@MIN
@NSH

Maybe we can get 4 wins out of 7. It would make for a successful month.

Name Nameless

Apr 12, 2017
If we get a ROW, we'd be tied with the Avalanche: games played (17), in points (19), and ROW (8). The Avalanche have a +9 goal differential while ours is +6. I think we'll need to win by 4 goals to get the WC2 spot to ourselves.

Yeah, noticed this too. But of course. It's a long season. And the Red Wings are, strangely, also going strong after a weak start.

Let's assume Yotes are in a play-off spot for some minutes tonight. When was the last time that happened?

Reactions: GiveAFlyingPuck

Kyle003p

Dec 17, 2007
Peoria, Il
Yeah, noticed this too. But of course. It's a long season. And the Red Wings are, strangely, also going strong after a weak start.

Let's assume Yotes are in a play-off spot for some minutes tonight. When was the last time that happened?

beginning of the season when we were listed alphabetically in second place? on a more serious note, too damn long...

Reactions: Name Nameless

Name Nameless

Apr 12, 2017
Crazy to oscillate between ecstasy and despair on a game by game basis.

I can understand the frustration... But 17 points after 17 games are a big improvement from 6 points after 17 games, as was the start last season. Team also started out this year with 2 points in the first 5 games... meaning the Yotes now gets 15 points per each set of 12 games... this is actually good enough, if the Yotes can hold this pace for the rest of the season. Should give 98 points if it is so... :naughty:

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Not sure of your point. Fischer has been inconsistent, he isn’t the model NHL player. I like gritty players but not at the expense of quickness and puck moving ability.
you just made my point.
"model NHL Player". In your mind one that skates but doesn't hit?
Just watch the playoffs. Guys like Fischer thrive in those times.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad