Line Combos: Does anyone miss Connor Brown?

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
He has 43 pts in 71 games with Ottawa; and had 20 goals with the Leafs too with decent ice-time; and more importantly; he plays well defensively -> the kryptonite of this team

Come on. he plays 20 minutes a night in Ottawa. 20!

at least try to be a little honest with your arguments here.

Reactions: Menzinger

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I think he is a 3rd liner and if he remained he could have helped this team greatly.

Today TOR looks at itself in the mirror and sees: Kerfoot, Malgin, Aberg, Horton, and Clarkson.

;)

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Come on. he plays 20 minutes a night in Ottawa. 20!

at least try to be a little honest with your arguments here.

he would have played at least 3rd line mins and special teams (PK). For 2 million dollars that is pretty good given the garbage defense of this team.

paying johnsson and kapanen 3 million dollars each what did that do?

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
He’s not a bad player and of course I miss his hustle and drive. Brown was a worker and worked for everything during his career. I was super stoked watching him tear up the OHL and thought he maybe a future Gary Roberts(seems a little silly now, but at the time I wasn’t alone)

However, adding him into that deal was a must to free up cap space from Zaitsev who was signed for far longer than Ceci.I don’t think that deal was a bad one but I actually didn’t think Ceci was terrible as some on here as well, while his skating was lacking he was one of better agitators on the blue line.

Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
he would have played at least 3rd line mins and special teams (PK). For 2 million dollars that is pretty good given the garbage defense of this team.

paying johnsson and kapanen 3 million dollars each what did that do?

I agree. I was convinced that they were awarded those contracts, and then they would have been shopped around at the deadline & this offseason (defense). I still think Johnsson and Kap might get moved. Johnsson might be harder to trade because no one knows how he will recover from injury.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Camt spend 2 miion on a RW when youve got Marner, Nylander and Kapanen ahead of him on the depth chart....

Brown is perfect for a team that has verybweak winger depth - which isnt the Leaf's

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
He has 43 pts in 71 games with Ottawa; and had 20 goals with the Leafs too with decent ice-time; and more importantly; he plays well defensively -> the kryptonite of this team

He also put up 8 goals and 21 points as a 3/4RW on the Leafs.... which is exactly the role he'd still be playing here

Reactions: CincoHolio

FraumBallard

Dec 9, 2018
By three posters, and that's it.

He was good, and too expensive for the fourth line.... $2.1 million... it's a math problem, and I'm not sure that you understand that. He was replaced by guys making under $1 mil.... we knew they wouldn't be as good, but it's what had to be.

These people, who yearn for Kadri, and Brown and.... I just don't think they understand that what happened had to, and why. There is a Cap you know? These people who never let go of the past, and learn to move on, or understand why.

Maybe we should have moved Marner instead, for All-Star Brown, who is clearly better than Marner... am I doing this right?
You are right.
I would move Marner for a young tough stay at home D Man and a F with guts.
I would take Brown over Kerfoot/Johnsson/Kap/Engvall.
He's better than all of them.
I understand the cap just fine.
Wonder Boys mismanagement of it is why we have 4 players on the big club who are not as good as Brown but get paid more.
Dubas is an idiot.

Reactions: PromisedLand

67Leafs67

Nov 8, 2014
Absolutely, he was a great utility player. Solid PKer, defensively responsible, and was solid enough offensively to still chip in as the tertiary scorer on a line. However, with our team set up, he was realistically never going to be play a larger role than 4RW with PK duties, and frankly you can't justify paying $2.1M for that. In the role he plays and excels in for Ottawa, that looks like a great pricetag, and if we didn't have Kapanen, absolutely, he'd be fantastic. At the end of the day though, he wasn't a fit here.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
loved browns heart and hustle, and he had more skills than some thought

but we so stacked on the wings...a good winger like brown cant even crack our top 3 lines

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I'm still stinging from the summer of 2019 when several of my favourite Leafs were discarded for the likes of Ceci, Barrie, Kerfoot.
Zaitsev makes 4.5 million for another 4 years. I like brown.. but it was necessary to get out from under the zaitsev contract.

Reactions: Menzinger

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
You are right.
I would move Marner for a young tough stay at home D Man and a F with guts.
I would take Brown over Kerfoot/Johnsson/Kap/Engvall.
He's better than all of them.
I understand the cap just fine.
Wonder Boys mismanagement of it is why we have 4 players on the big club who are not as good as Brown but get paid more.
Dubas is an idiot.

Ok, I get it. You are mad, because you'd rather have tough guys, than skill.

You would end up picking all the wrong guys, and it's actually comical. Jeez

Reactions: kb

FraumBallard

Dec 9, 2018
Ok, I get it. You are mad, because you'd rather have tough guys, than skill.

You would end up picking all the wrong guys, and it's actually comical. Jeez
Do you WATCH?
If you think Engvall is better than Brown I have to think you have no idea what you're talking about.
You NEW fans seem to think toughness is a bad thing.
Like I said it ain't a no hit league yet.
Engvall/Kerfoot/Johnsson//Kap.
All king of the flybys.
Like a lot of Wonder Boys players who play small.
We disagree.
No big deal.
I like Mens Hockey played as it was meant to be.
If I wanted to watch an all star game I would.
Oh wait.
That is what this Leaf Team is.
A bunch of fancy dan please don't hit me kinda guys.
Boring and Embarrassing.
Exceptions being Clifford/Muzzin/Hyman.
You enjoy that.
I will wait for Dubas to get fired and enjoy my Leafs once again.

FraumBallard

Dec 9, 2018
Zaitsev makes 4.5 million for another 4 years. I like brown.. but it was necessary to get out from under the zaitsev contract.
We would have been way better off letting Johnsson and Kapanen walk.
Keep Brown and Z.
Same with the Kadri trade.
Dubas is an idiot.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I would have kept him for a year and see if he can play C.
I think it Lesfs still have Brown, Marner will not be on the PK, which might help Marner.
The guy that I am interested in bringing back(if possible) is Leivo. I think he will be a great LW for JT and Marner. He is like Hyman with better offensive skill and less D skill. Really want to see what Keefe can do with Leivo.
In hindsight, I would have kept Leivo and Brown and trade AJ in the summer. Undo the Kadri trade and just get a Dman like Dumba(not the best fit but better than Kerfoot and Barrie) or Trouba(if he is willing to come to TO). Make the LA trade in the summer while also changer coach too.

Hyman-AM-Willie
Leivo-JT-Marner
Soup-Brown-Kap
Clifford-Spezza-Tima/Engval
Goat

Reilly-Trouba/Dumba
Muzzin-Ceci
Dermott-Holl

Andersen
Campbell

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Do you WATCH?
If you think Engvall is better than Brown I have to think you have no idea what you're talking about.
You NEW fans seem to think toughness is a bad thing.
Like I said it ain't a no hit league yet.
Engvall/Kerfoot/Johnsson//Kap.
All king of the flybys.
Like a lot of Wonder Boys players who play small.
We disagree.
No big deal.
I like Mens Hockey played as it was meant to be.
If I wanted to watch an all star game I would.
Oh wait.
That is what this Leaf Team is.
A bunch of fancy dan please don't hit me kinda guys.
Boring and Embarrassing.
Exceptions being Clifford/Muzzin/Hyman.
You enjoy that.
I will wait for Dubas to get fired and enjoy my Leafs once again.

Every response is funnier than the last, and reaches further from reality.

A grudge against Dubas, by a guy who loves tough guys.... in a thread about Connor Brown... Yup, that Connor Brown, the most truculent Leafs in generations. Nice bottom six forward, but when people are reduced to anger, by the movements of a bottom six forward, that tells you something right there.

Imagine wishing your favourite team would fail, just so someone you have a grudge against, can get fired!!! That's some fan.

You do realize that Dubas is responsible for having brought in Clifford, Muzzin and Hyman?

"You NEW fans"... I mean, that's just clueless, baseless and dumb.

Reactions: SAMCRO44 and kb

FraumBallard

Dec 9, 2018
Every response is funnier than the last, and reaches further from reality.

A grudge against Dubas, by a guy who loves tough guys.... in a thread about Connor Brown... Yup, that Connor Brown, the most truculent Leafs in generations. Nice bottom six forward, but when people are reduced to anger, by the movements of a bottom six forward, that tells you something right there.

Imagine wishing your favourite team would fail, just so someone you have a grudge against, can get fired!!! That's some fan.

You do realize that Dubas is responsible for having brought in Clifford, Muzzin and Hyman?

"You NEW fans"... I mean, that's just clueless, baseless and dumb.
Yeah.
I hate Dubas.
Gifted the most talented group of offence in the League and he is destroying the Team I Love.
I have never cheered against the Leafs in my life.
Until Wonder Boy was hired .
I'm not mad at you.
Maybe you're not a new fan.
Maybe you are.
Point is new fans never saw hockey at all or at least not hockey with hitting.
Seems they think it's all math and ignoring that it has and always will be a game largely determined by the intangibles.
Shanahan was so embarrassed he no doubt told Dubas to get Clifford or a guy like him.
Same with Muzzin.
Hyman would appear to be the exception which would prove the rule.
Otherwise.
Why all the soft/tiny/scared guys on the team or in the system.
If you ain't 5'2 and 140 lbs.
You ain't a Wonder Boy fave.
Seems there were an awful lot of people who were whining about wanting Babcock fired and that meant Leafs had to lose.
People are proud of that because they felt it would be best for the Team.
I'm no different.
Except who it is I want fired.
Brown makes less than Kerfoot/Kap/Johnsson.
He's better than all 3.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Nope not really. He wasn't a great player at all. Grass is always greener.

Connor Brown might as well be Ian White. Of course I miss them, they played their heart out. But they're what people call "replacement level" and it's true.

Hyman might be one of the most impressive "blue collar" players we've ever had though.

But really, I'm not missing any players right now, I'm just missing hockey period.

Tmart335

Aug 19, 2018
I think he is a 3rd liner and if he remained he could have helped this team greatly.

Today TOR looks at itself in the mirror and sees: Kerfoot, Malgin, Aberg, Horton, and Clarkson.

;)

You forgot about a key player. would have kept Brown if they could. He only makes 2.1 mill. But, they replaced him with mikayev. Which I would prob rather have ?

Leafs had to give a bit of a sweetener to take Zaitzev contract. No idea where Brown would fit in the leafs lineup at 2.1? 3rd or 4th?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad