Line Combos: Does anyone miss Connor Brown?

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
Brown was a gem , He was a bootleg Hyman honestly . I think he has 60 Point potential That's pretty much his ceiling tho but a 60 point third line SECOND PP unit , and someone who can play PK. for 2.1 M is amazing so yeah I do miss him

danny90

Nov 27, 2019
Right Handed Winger who could play up and down the line-up with a two-way ability. 26 years old. salary $2.1 million per season.

If the season were to play out he would have been on pace for a near 50 point season.

To me: He's gone, but not forgotten.

Do you miss him? Don't you wish they could have kept him?
Would have liked to see him under Keefe, poorly utilized under babcock.

FraumBallard

Dec 9, 2018
Right Handed Winger who could play up and down the line-up with a two-way ability. 26 years old. salary $2.1 million per season.

If the season were to play out he would have been on pace for a near 50 point season.

To me: He's gone, but not forgotten.

Do you miss him? Don't you wish they could have kept him?
Yes and Yes.

FraumBallard

Dec 9, 2018
43 points with 1st line and 1st pp minutes is nothing. He couldn't even fit in our top 9 here. Our PK was bad with or without him on it. Nothing to miss.

43 points with 1st line and 1st pp minutes is nothing. He couldn't even fit in our top 9 here. Our PK was bad with or without him on it. Nothing to miss.
He's way better than Wonder Boys Pretty Boys.
Kerfoot/Engvall/Johnsson/Kapanen/

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
When we’re fully healthy, he’d be a 4th liner at best for us. Nowhere close to our top 3 RWs (Marner, Nylander, Kapanen), and not better than any of our top 3 LWs either (Hyman, Johnsson, Mikheyev). He’d be battling it out for a 4th liner spot with Spezza, Clifford, Engvall, Gauthier and Malgin. To me Spezza and Clifford for sure get 2 of the spots, and Brown vs Engvall is arguable - Brown is better offensively, but Engvall is better on the PK, better defensively in general, and brings that size/speed element.

When we have injuries, he’d be a useful player to have higher up the lineup - certainly better in the top 9 than someone like Engvall. But he still wouldn’t be that much of a difference maker, he was always a low impact player for us. He’d score WAY less in Toronto than he’s scoring in Ottawa, because we’re way deeper/better at forward, and he’d get far, far less prime offensive minutes.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
It is pretty hard to argue that Brown isnt having a better season than a guy like Kapanen if you look at per 60 stats to take ice time differences out of the equation.

At 5 on 5 he has a better goals/60, points/60 and primary points/60, GF%, xGF% etc while playing on a much worse team (especially offensively) and with worse linemates. Brown is also receiving significantly more difficult usage. Looking at 5 on 5 again, Brown has a OZS% of 34% vs 60% for Kap, Brown has a OZF% (offensive zone faceoff) of 39% vs 53% for Kap. Brown played on the shutdown line with Pageua primarily so didnt really see much of the offensive zone but still produced very well at 5 on 5.

Not saying Brown will be a better player going forward but he has certainly been better this year in more difficult usage with worse players on his team. I'm very happy for him and dont think he would have gotten the opportunity in Toronto unless Kap was flipped for D like others have suggested.

Last edited:

lottster14

Feb 10, 2019
Hard worker and a good asset to us in our 16'17 and 17'18 seasons, 34 goals and 30 assists during that time.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
I think Leivo and Leipsic are two I think had better potential fits here long term. Leivo had size and could finish, and Leipsic is a warrior - the kind of players we need.

Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

FraumBallard

Dec 9, 2018
Nope - you just have an unhealthy hate for Dubas for some reason
We had players that could do what he does for a lot less
Don't miss him in the least, and not sure why everyone who leaves TO is all of a sudden a great player
You are correct about Dubas.
I always thought Brown was like Hyman lite.
Not the big body but a great motor.
Played both ends of the ice.
Good on the pk.
If the guys we have had half his heart and try I would love them

Engvall is a big strong fast guy who looks like he is literally scared to hit or be hit.
He's ahead of his time.
He would be great if he played in a no hit League.
Same for Kerfoot ( he's terrible )/
Johnsson/Malgin/Barrie/Sandin is not ready. He looks like he's gonna be great but he gets worked defensively.
Kapanen has shown he can play a diverse game but makes it so frustrating that he rarely does.
As usual we disagree but different looks at the same situation.
Part of what makes it fun.
Good post.
Like.
Right.
I Hate Dubas because he is clearly ruining my favorite Yeam.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
It is pretty hard to argue that Brown isnt having a better season than a guy like Kapanen if you look at per 60 stats to take ice time differences out of the equation.

At 5 on 5 he has a better goals/60, points/60 and primary points/60, GF%, xGF% etc while playing on a much worse team (especially offensively) and with worse linemates. Brown is also receiving significantly more difficult usage. Looking at 5 on 5 again, Brown has a OZS% of 34% vs 60% for Kap, Brown has a OZF% (offensive zone faceoff) of 39% vs 53% for Kap. Brown played on the shutdown line with Pageua primarily so didnt really see much of the offensive zone but still produced very well at 5 on 5.

Not saying Brown will be a better player going forward but he has certainly been better this year in more difficult usage with worse players on his team. I'm very happy for him and dont think he would have gotten the opportunity in Toronto unless Kap was flipped for D like others have suggested.

I couldn't care less about the Kapanens, Johnsons, or Browns of the world. These guys are not part of your core and are expendable. As for Brown specifically, meh player. Hard worker, but again, expendable and got traded. No big deal. They could have traded one of Kap or AJ and kept Brown, it really does not matter one bit. These types of players will be rotated in and out, so get used to it.

Last edited:

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
I miss the guy, but he's in a better spot for his career right now. Would gladly welcome him back some day but he'd still be the 4th best RW on this team and Spezza has done a fine job in his place.

FraumBallard

Dec 9, 2018
Brown was a gem , He was a bootleg Hyman honestly . I think he has 60 Point potential That's pretty much his ceiling tho but a 60 point third line SECOND PP unit , and someone who can play PK. for 2.1 M is amazing so yeah I do miss him
Like.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
We have plenty of goals.
He did things our current pretty boys don't.
Like.
Try hard every game.
He is greatly missed.

By three posters, and that's it.

He was good, and too expensive for the fourth line.... $2.1 million... it's a math problem, and I'm not sure that you understand that. He was replaced by guys making under $1 mil.... we knew they wouldn't be as good, but it's what had to be.

These people, who yearn for Kadri, and Brown and.... I just don't think they understand that what happened had to, and why. There is a Cap you know? These people who never let go of the past, and learn to move on, or understand why.

Maybe we should have moved Marner instead, for All-Star Brown, who is clearly better than Marner... am I doing this right?

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad