Does anyone know why I keep skating at defender when I have the puck?

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
... So, If you can't tell, I'm relatively new to skating and hockey.

Whenever I have the puck and am skating up ice, I have a tendency to skate directly towards a defender; when my intention is to go around (wide?) of the defender with the puck and deposit the puck top shelf cheese (I don't know what this means, but someone told me I should do it).

Any advice / insight as to why I'm doing this?

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
First, are you sure you're skating right at the defender, and it's not the defender that's stating to position themselves in front of you?

Second, do you have your head up, and if you do, are you watching the defender, or are you looking at where you want to be? Where you are looking tends to control where you're headed, so if you're looking right at the defender, you're going to tend to head towards them.

Third, it's probably a little of one and a little of two.

Pablo Messier

Jan 25, 2019
Beginners generally overhandle the puck when going one on one. Likely you are stick handling away, but not moving your feet, so really not going anywhere fast. You may think you are doing something useful because your hands are working hard smacking that stick blade side to side thinking you have to fool the defender. The general rule is 1) if the defender backs up too fast (like faster than you are going), then cut in and take your shot or whatever you want to do because he has just given you a ton of space to work with. Or 2) if the defender is not backing up much, then put your head down, and take him wide skating as fast as you can (dont even think about doing anything else, just keep that puck wide where it cant be knocked off your blade). When you've reached about even or just past the defender, edge in and your momentum will carry you right past him.

Lastly, consider who you are playing againt. If the defender is a beginner or poor skater, you can pretty much beat him going wide every time.

Reactions: Fremitus Borealis

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
My biggest bad habit is related to the last post. I can beat most defensemen at my level going wide and then leaning back toward the goal... but sometimes I'll just slam on the brakes once I've gotten too close to them and take a shot or pass instead of just going around them like I normally can :huh:

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Probably due to a lack of deception because of your limited skill set.

You probably skate with a very wide base(for balance purposes) and in a straight line which kind of limits your options one on one. Ideally you'd want to be able to crossover while skating forwards so you can move laterally and change the angle on the dman. That in conjunction with stickhandling like putting the puck on one side will make you a deceptive player and give you more options.

Other than improving your skills, there's reads involved too. Sometimes certain lanes and options will be available depending on the situation and what the defenseman is taking away.

Reactions: Golden Puppers

MartinS82

May 26, 2016
Might be target fixation. A tendency to go (or shoot) where you are looking. You should always be looking at the open spaces and keep the defenders in your periphery.

This is also important when shooting - don't focus on the goalie, but rather on the open areas and the net behind him.

Reactions: adsfan

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
I only played pond hockey, but I believe that you skate where you are looking. Try just taking a glance at the defender's feet and then going to your right or left to go around him.

I played a lot of soccer. When shooting at the goal, especially on a penalty kick, I did not look at the goalie. I made more of those shots than the average player. You tend to shoot where you look in soccer. I could look at the ground and beat the goalie to either side because he is always going to be in the middle third of the goal, usually right in the middle.

It is the same as having a defender in front of you.

I agree with MartinS82.

Reactions: MartinS82

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
I'd agree with those saying the defender is likely reading you- if you move slow and are thinking "outside" they'll pick up on that and will position themselves accordingly. Don't get crazy with it, but try a change of direction back inside every now and then. Besides that just dump and chase until your skating and stick work are good enough to put moves on a dude.

Ps- One of the most satisfying moves is to go wide, then shift your body like you're going to cut back inside. When you really have your balance right you can even move your knees/legs like you're going to cut, but meanwhile your skates stay glued going one direction. Works like a charm and usually either trips the defender up as they transition and then transition back or they're forced to trip you and take a penalty. Love doing that against better skaters than myself, good way to gain the outside even when they're faster.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
same as when someone is constantly shooting it into the goalie's gut.

its because thats what you're looking at. you will skate/shoot at what you focus on. so if you focus on a goalie before shooting, that's where it'll go...same way as if you focus on a defender, that's where you'll go

icon6668

Jul 22, 2012
You're probably just skating at the goal, as that's your end target. The defender is doing what a defender should do and is getting in between you and the goal so if you just skate in a straight line, you're going to look like you're just skating at the defender.

As others have said, try to implement some crossovers into your forward skating. If you get some open ice at shinny or a warmup, try 3-5 normal strides then 2 crossovers the same side and repeat. If you start in a corner skating up ice you'd probably end up in the opposite corner if you skated the whole length like that.

Get used doing crossovers both ways when skating forward with the puck then when you start to skate in a game you can change it up a bit and you might find that eventually you can catch a defender off guard if they do a backwards crossover when backing up and you can crossover the other way and get a step on them.

As a noob just starting out, if you're playing against other noobs, then work on your skating first before worrying about hands. Obviously every aspect is important, but if you can skate better than your opponent you're gonna have a good time.

Last edited:
Reactions: dlam and LeifUK

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
I learn to skate towards the half wall as I’m carrying the puck over the blue line then by the top of the face off circle I make my move or try a snap shot The defender will be trying to between me and the goal.
If I feel he playing the puck then I make my move to cut around him. If he’s playing the body and there no way I can cut around then I use him as a screen and shot or skate toward the wall and try to pass it off
I don’t think I skate directly at goal unless I have a breakaway

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
It's all skating and reading the defender... if you're lined up with the faceoff dot, try to fake middle once you hit the blue line. If the defender commits that way, then crossover wide and try to get around, otherwise, if you have speed, sometimes other beginners can allow too much of a gap and you can get on your forehand in the slot.

Subbing in on D is also a good way to learn those situations from the other perspective too.

Reactions: Golden Puppers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad