Does anyone here have a PS Classic?

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
I’m thinking of purchasing one to mod and use a USB to play games off of it. I’ve read some reports that some games lag a bit.

I’m thinking of slowly converting my collection into emulation since it’s been 20+ years since these games have been in existence.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I’m thinking of purchasing one to mod and use a USB to play games off of it. I’ve read some reports that some games lag a bit.

I’m thinking of slowly converting my collection into emulation since it’s been 20+ years since these games have been in existence.
I got one as a gift, but I didn’t have the heart to tell my mom I didn’t buy one for myself because I thought it looked bad. lol.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
I thought about it, but settled on a Shield TV and a PS4 controller for PSX games. A fair bit more expensive, but it’ll do Dreamcast and other systems too.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
TBH, if I was going to build another small emu box, I'd look into a RPi 4-based one; I've got a RPi 3 and Retropie whatevers take care of most of the configurations; the 4 has faster hardware, and emus like N64 or DC might run better.

My biggest issue is, nostalgia clouds things a lot. I think I had more enjoyment tinkering with the Raspberry, or buying the older physical consoles than actually playing the games. As for the PS Classic one specifically, I thought about picking one up at $20, but I still have my original PS 1, and I read that the PS Classic really wasn't that good, and I don't miss the non-analog PS controllers.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
I have one, games don't lag on it. If you mod it you will have a nice looking piece!

Some of the games on it are inexplicably PAL versions on the NTSC, probably that complaint that you have heard and misunderstood.

The other issue is the game selection, most classics are missing.

People complain about no dual shock too, but honestly.. Very few I knew even had dual shock on psx.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I got one on super clearance with the thought of doing the same...but it's still boxed and will be nothing more than a shelf piece if I ever decide to look at it again. I wound up going for a handheld emulation machine that can play PSX games.

Honestly the controllers killed it for me as much as the garbage tiny game selection and PAL junk did. Even playing mostly RPGs, that controller just feels wrong to me...which is 100% a side-effect of my friend getting his PlayStation right when the Dual Analog controllers were, so I only ever played the original PlayStation controllers at store kiosks. It's weird that I feel this way considering how much I loved the SNES controller and how the PlayStation controller is basically just a better version of that...but hey, generations of holding that controller form factor with analog sticks (and the extra weight that goes with them) makes it feel like a cheap toy without them.

Almost everything I have an interest in playing on the PlayStation doesn't need thumb sticks, but that controller feels like half a controller without them when that's what you're almost exclusively used to. The handheld I got has one thumbstick, which is a bit awkward for certain games, but not the ones I tend play. The handheld is more expensive than the PlayStation Classic, but is capable of doing a lot more and is easy to use for someone who has little knowledge or patience when it comes to emulation stuff.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad