Does anyone have a tradition for the first game of the year

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Living in Qatar, the games are early in the morning. I wake up for the games though. The first game of the season will be at 5 am for me. I'll have to make some kind of snack the night before. I'll brainstorm lol.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
I used to take days off work for this but I decided it's more productive to work it than take it off due to the amount of disappointments I usually get

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
Traditionally, my optimism is sky high before game 1 of every season. It usually deteriorates from that point on..

Reactions: McDrai

Sugi21

Dec 7, 2016
I actually don’t watch the first game of the season if it’s on the road but if it’s a home game then yeah that’s about it!

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I get out of bed, leave on my pj's. phone in sick (just kidding) watch 3 horror movies in preparation, and then make sure to have the pvr set to the right channel so that I can just skip through all the commercials as I watch the game. I avert my eyes to the scarier moments in games or when Koskinen is in net. I've found this results in the least shock and pain as possible.

Last year I spent half the day biatching about why we're playing an opener in Sweden and against Taylor Hall and his Devils and life just ain't fair... ;)

Then Kyle Palmeiri spanks our butts early and the game is over before it started.

Then I watch the Melvins and life is good again.

Reactions: Darkwinter

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
I'm going to watch all the hilites of Talbot letting in the first shot last year (time permitting).

KingKhron

Sep 8, 2008
Tragically my yearly tradition has turned to selling my tickets because it’s the only game I’ll get cost on all year and watching a Reddit stream.

Reactions: bone

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Due to the time zone differences, I'm usually working.

After I finish, I check the score and drown my sorrows with a few pints.

CookiesAndMilk

Generational Backhand Pass
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2016
Kyoto
Interesting traditions :thumbu:

I live in Switzerland. So my routine is going home early from work, eat something and go to bed at 7pm, then get up very tired, put on my jersey and send a picture to my friend from work at 3/4am in the morning. He's calling me crazy for doing that the whole season. Joke's on him since I stop around December when the Playoffs are no longer possible.

Reactions: Darkwinter and bone

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Drink beer watch the game.

Can't watch the game on the 2nd so maybe this year they won't suck.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Thank you my friend and for the meal I make Pork chops covered in mushroom soup than baked in the oven at low heat for a couple of hours .after I take it out of the oven I pull it apart and mix it with mashed potatoes .. (lol ok I know it's not world famous but it my house it sure is .The only time the kids don't complain that dad's making the meal ..
Sounds like supper tomorrow night. Haven't had pork chops in mushroom sauce for awhile.

Kepler 186f

Red Shifted
Dec 17, 2007
PVR it so I can fast forward through the commercials and bland babble.

And if the Oil decide to take the night off I can double speed the entire game.

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Crack a beer

Prepare my wife for the incoming hours of me swearing at the TV.

Go to bed disappointed. Lay there and bitch about players to my wife that she knows absolutely nothing about.

Go to work and bitch about the Oilers with my co workers. Until a leaf fan pipes up then we all turn on him.

Get optimistic for next game

Repeat

TJ Hooker

May 25, 2017
Generally lose all faith in the organization and give up the dream for another year.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
I decorate a new puke bucket with Oilers decals every season.

I take a shot every time Matt Benning's gaffe's lead to a goal. I need a new liver, please donate.

I gain hope during game 1 of the season

I lose hope during game 1 of the season.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
Yeah deluding myself into thinking we are not going to be awful.

Horrible tradition, now that I think of it.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Yeah deluding myself into thinking we are not going to be awful.

Horrible tradition, now that I think of it.

I used to make it to game 20 once upon a time, thinking, if they aren't out of it by late November we have a shot. They usually never make it to November.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad