Does anyone have a tradition for the first game of the year

Darkwinter

Apr 4, 2010
I do the same thing for the first game of the year. I take the day off work from work toss in slap shot the movie and let it play over and over just for background noise. then make my world-famous hockey meal for the game . Then I pull out and dust off my oiler jersey to wear for the game . Every year I do the same routine for the first game of the year.
I would like to read what other people do for the first game of the year.

Mod if this is not thread worthy please delete

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
I do the same thing for the first game of the year. I take the day off work from work toss in slap shot the movie and let it play over and over just for background noise. then make my world-famous hockey meal for the game . Then I pull out and dust off my oiler jersey to wear for the game . Every year I do the same routine for the first game of the year.

Seeing as we lose all the time may I suggest

Work half the day. Pop on Youngblood instead. Wear an Oilers cap and order some SkiptheDishes

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009

I stock up on booze because I will certainly need it for the rest of the season.

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014

I like your thread, nice to see it's not all doom and gloom here :D

what's your world famous meal?

Darkwinter

Apr 4, 2010
I like your thread, nice to see it's not all doom and gloom here :D

what's your world famous meal?
Thank you my friend and for the meal I make Pork chops covered in mushroom soup than baked in the oven at low heat for a couple of hours .after I take it out of the oven I pull it apart and mix it with mashed potatoes .. (lol ok I know it's not world famous but it my house it sure is .The only time the kids don't complain that dad's making the meal ..

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Get my cliches ready.

"Its just the first game"
"Nobody makes the playoffs in game 1"
"That's why they play all 82 games"
"Little bit of rust and that travel schedule to Europe is a grind"
"New coach - new systems"
"Isn't Kevin Lowe still involved? What did we really expect."

Last edited:

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

You didn’t start the routine 13 years ago did you?

Reactions: McShogun99

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Thank you my friend and for the meal I make Pork chops covered in mushroom soup than baked in the oven at low heat for a couple of hours .after I take it out of the oven I pull it apart and mix it with mashed potatoes .. (lol ok I know it's not world famous but it my house it sure is .The only time the kids don't complain that dad's making the meal ..
Well, I know where to be for opening night.

I do a similar think at my house but with rice

Reactions: Darkwinter

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
First to 82nd game tradition is the same for me.

Screen_Shot_2012-09-13_at_9.39.39_AM.png

DerpMorg

10 Year Tire Fire
Feb 1, 2012
Ft. McMurray
I usually get myself hyped up, thinking this is the year we turn the corner, and then half way through the second period, when we’re down 2-0 and being outshot by twice the margin, I realize it’s more of the same and log into HF to bitch about it for another seven months.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Slight bit of positively leading up to this season but that will be dashed by Christmas like every year. lol #oilersmakemecry

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

Can I order take out from you?

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

I buy a new Oilers ball cap for the season and go to the game really early to catch warm ups and take in the ambience of hockey season starting. I think I’ve missed only a couple of season openers since 1977. I usually toss the ball cap after half the season and buy a new one when it’s apparent I’ve bought another unlucky ball cap. The cap from 2016/17 was a good one but I lost it on holidays last summer thus the explanation for the bad season last year.

After warm up I then sit in the stands and wonder how bad this seasons opening ceremony is and I’m usually not disappointed. Last year was a new low as it was a 7 minute spoken word essay that doubled as a Ford commercial and then skating through a bad replica of the new bridge.
Hoping Tom Anselmi ups the game here.

Can’t wait for puck drop this year! Bought an epic new Oilers cap that is dripping good luck!

Reactions: Darkwinter

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad