Does anyone have a suggestion for a game that can be completed satisfyingly in two days.

saluki

Nov 18, 2017
I thought I'd ask. I'm stuck away from home until Wed night with nothing to do.

Ideally it would be something with a decent story but most RPG are way longer than two days. Maybe a shorter FPS with a compelling narrative?

I have my Razer laptop with me so I think I can play pretty much anything.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I thought I'd ask. I'm stuck away from home until Wed night with nothing to do.

Ideally it would be something with a decent story but most RPG are way longer than two days. Maybe a shorter FPS with a compelling narrative?

I have my Razer laptop with me so I think I can play pretty much anything.
I know it sounds kinda lame, but earlier Call of Duty games actually had really great single-player campaigns (not sure how they are now). I was particularly fond of COD4: Modern Warfare, COD: World at War, and COD: Modern Warfare 2.

If you like a challenge, World at War campaign on Expert is actually pretty damn difficult.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I have not played this yet, but Terminator: Resistance is a game that I'm interested in that sounds like it could fit your criteria. I read that it can be completed in 8 hours, has a good story and gameplay, is a shooter with RPG elements and really evokes the feeling of the first two movies (which might make it quicker to get into).

Last edited:

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Good game but I doubt most people would finish that in two days. Although my only experience with it is on supernova difficulty with no fast travel lol
I beat it in 10 hours. It's pretty easy if you don't save scum or do all the side content. Although I did play it on the lowest difficulty just cause I didn't want to level combat.

Reactions: Mikeaveli

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Pretty much any FPS campaign can be completed in 8 hours. I recommend TitanFall 2.

If you have a PS5, the new Miles Morales Spider-Man game is about 8 hours long too.

Cuphead is pretty short, but difficult, so it may take you longer depending on how good you are at fast-twitch games and pattern recognition.

Streets of Rage 4 is an old-school side-scrolling beat-em up. It's easily completable in that time. Likewise for the new Battletoads game (that one is on Xbox/PC only tho).

The recently released a remaster of the game Vanquish (originally on Xbox 360/PS3), and it's basically Gears of War, in the future, on cocaine. It's fantastic, and relatively short as well.

The Superhot games are pretty short as well.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I also love good stories and am more of a RPG guy but there's two franchises I keep returning to for shorter experiences. These would only work if these are serious gaming days and not just a couple hours before bed.

Resident Evil 2 remake that came out last year was fantastic and takes less than 10 hours. I really don't think you need to be caught up in the story to enjoy it, but the first REmake is also incredible if you want to start from the beginning. The classic RE formula does a really good job with environmental storytelling, piecing things together by finding notes and clues. Resident Evil 4 is probably the easiest casual entry point and is more action orientated, but its also a bit longer so not sure if it could be completed in time.

Metal Gear Solid is the other one, the first two entries are about a dozen hours each. Cutscenes and story are a huge part of the game, to the point that people joked Kojima should just make movies instead (an insane suggestion considering the gameplay in MGS is sublime). Metal Gear Solid 3 is probably the best game in the series but its also a little longer than its predecessors. If I'm feeling burnt out after a long RPG or open world game I'll often replay a RE or MGS game as a palette cleanser.

saluki

Nov 18, 2017
Thanks for the suggestions.

A good story is definitely part of what I had in mind. Sort of a "playing a game in lieu of reading a novel" kind of thing.

Singularity is the game that got my mind on this track. It's pretty short, fun to play, and has a decent time-bending story that unfolds while you explore a deserted Russian island. I think FEAR and Metro 2033 are good examples as well, but I've completed both of those many times each.

I want the challenge of actually completing a game from scratch in a short time period.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Detroit Become Human is really good and would take probably around 10 hours to complete. Not really focused on the gameplay and more on the storyline, but still has some good gameplay elements in it.

saluki

Nov 18, 2017
I finished the COD 4 campaign.

Its pretty good, and I feel accomplished. I should play more of those.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Little late to the party but I just recently beat Ghostrunner (probably 4-5 hours) and A Plague Tale: Innocence (more like 10 hours) and I loved both of them.
+1 for Ghostrunner. Beat it last week and it was significantly better than I imagined it would be. Frustrating at times, but always rewarding when you beat a level.

If your PC can handle it I highly recommend cranking up those graphics settings, too.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Little late to the party but I just recently beat Ghostrunner (probably 4-5 hours) and A Plague Tale: Innocence (more like 10 hours) and I loved both of them.
I didn't know they made a COVID game already.... *ba dum tiss*

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I didn't know they made a COVID game already.... *ba dum tiss*

Plague, Inc. is the real COVID game and has been around since 2012. I recently created a virus in it, named it "COVID-19," originated it in China, made it transit through the air and made it primarily affect the lungs. I then mutated it periodically to help it catch hold in every country on Earth before they could enable mask mandates, close the borders and develop a vaccine. I just about wiped out the entire population of Earth, but one tiny country managed to keep me out and close their borders. Because I was too slow to spot that, humanity narrowly escaped extinction and I lost the game :(.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
There are a lot of well done inexpensive story games that can be done in 10 hours or less. A couple I’ve played in recent years that come to the top of my mind are:

- Soma (6-10 hours)
- Gone Home (2-4 hours)

Little less story, but beautiful and something serene about the flying:
- A.E.R. Memories of Old (~3 hours)

Another option:
- The Long Dark. Wouldn’t complete the game, but could get through the first storyline chapter in under 10 hours if I recall.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Was thinking about this some more. Go with the Bioshock games.

When was the last time you played them? I ask because I recently played through them again for the first time in years, and the Bioshock games are longer than I remembered. I remembered all the big storyline moments and set-pieces, kinda forgot about how much combat and exploration there was between.

I think he could get through one of them in 2 days of average playtime, but not all 3.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->