Does anyone even care anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twine Seeking Missle

Go monkey go!!!
Dec 30, 2004
Suck-town
Dont get me wrong i miss the NHL real bad but all this "rhetoric" is really pushing me not to care anymore. When i hear someone like Afredsson saying they are willing to miss the season it really pisses me off since the only ones who are really paying the price are us, the fans. Im sure some players are itching to play but when guys come out and say things like that it really shows that us fans arent even a blip on these players' radar. Its really sad if you think about it. I thought at first it might have been all rhetoric but with the cancellation of the Jan 14th meeting maybe what these guys are saying is for real. Just get it over with and cancel the season so we dont have to speculate anymore :banghead:

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Agreed. I lived and breathed NHL hockey from age 13 to this year, now aged 31. NHL hockey watching of late , I noticed had become more of a chore than a pleasure. I thought I would miss it desperatly, but, surprisingly I don't . Every time NHL or NHLPA guys start talking on TV, I begin to zone out. There has been enough other hockey to watch that I'm really not missing NHL at all. :eek:

X8oD

Feb 27, 2002
612 Warf Ave.
last night was the first night i said to myself "why cant hockey be on" because nothing was on TV. Very odd for a night in juanuary to have NO sports going on.

but no, i dont really care.

I mean, the players need their 7-10 mil, they have families to feed afterall.

struckmatch

Jul 28, 2003
Vancouver
Cancel the ******* season already. If there's no hope, and both sides are willing to actually sit in a room and not leave until they have something substantial on the table, then why the hell should I care?

I've been a loyal hockey for 16 years, ever since I was a small child, I think I, and every other fan deserves some constant effort in these negotiations from both sides, not a couple 4 hour meetings, and a sh!tload of media posturing.

I really don't care about Goodenow, Saskin, Bettman, Daly, and all the morons involved in this process.

HABitual

Mar 1, 2002
Kirkland Lake, Ontar
Visit site
X8oD said:
last night was the first night i said to myself "why cant hockey be on" because nothing was on TV. Very odd for a night in juanuary to have NO sports going on.

but no, i dont really care.

That's a lot of money for food! Maybe that's why so many American kids are overweight ;)

X8oD

Feb 27, 2002
612 Warf Ave.
HABitual said:
That's a lot of money for food! Maybe that's why so many American kids are overweight ;)

latrell Sprewell turned down 13 mil, and seriously used that line as a reason.

and he wasnt joking.

struckmatch

Jul 28, 2003
Vancouver
What do these athletes and their families eat? Gold covered Platinum chicken with diamond incrested mashed 24 kt. Silver potatoes?

What a ****** joke.

Victory Ali*

I'm a huge hockey fan who just got into the sport a couple of years ago in a non-interested American city. I feel disrespected more than apathetic by the powers that be in this lockout and truthfully I am angry more than anything. It really sucks to watch something you were into be so stupidly run into the ground. Do these people really think this is benefiting their sport or that the American fanbase will be there if and when they finally do get it figured out? I can honestly say that only the most die-hard Americans will care and even most of those will probably be into the NFL or the Ice Capades by then. I really don't understand the politics of hockey where there's such a strong anti-American sentiment and it would be a good thing to some to kill off American interests and markets, instead of trying to market and build the game (and no having commercials saying hockey was "Made in America" won't do it). It's just frustrating the stupidity on all sides.

Go Thunderbirds :dunno:

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Not really. If they end up coming back, fine. If they actually cancel the season, good for them.

For most of this lockout, I sometimes ponder the various arguments, and come up with a few of my own. Such as; the 30 individual teams don't, and can't, compete with each other financially. Pro sports don't work that way. There wouldn't be a point of a nation wide league, with teams in 30 different cities, in both big and small markets, if it did. If the NHL were selling toothpaste, we'd have a different story. But the Rangers aren't trying to put the Oilers out of business, and pick up a few extra fans in Edmonton to watch Ranger games.

They're not 30 different corporations. They're 30 different divisions within the same corporation. The NHL is competing with the NBA, NFL, MLB, and whatever else financially, and losing badly.

I care, but I don't. I'd like to see them come back and play, because I've been a fan for roughly 18 years. But if these guys can't figure out a way to split millions of dollars between the two sides, then just go away.

Go Flames Go*

I do care that we don't have hockey I want to see my Flames prove all the doubters and haters out there that we are for real, but that is all that I miss. Like uncle Sutter has said however long it takes is how long it takes, it dosent matter to me 2 years 5 years scabs I'll be back bleeding red for the Flames.

struckmatch

Jul 28, 2003
Vancouver
KingsFan7824 said:
Not really. If they end up coming back, fine. If they actually cancel the season, good for them.

For most of this lockout, I sometimes ponder the various arguments, and come up with a few of my own. Such as; the 30 individual teams don't, and can't, compete with each other financially. Pro sports don't work that way. There wouldn't be a point of a nation wide league, with teams in 30 different cities, in both big and small markets, if it did. If the NHL were selling toothpaste, we'd have a different story. But the Rangers aren't trying to put the Oilers out of business, and pick up a few extra fans in Edmonton to watch Ranger games.

They're not 30 different corporations. They're 30 different divisions within the same corporation. The NHL is competing with the NBA, NFL, MLB, and whatever else financially, and losing badly.

I care, but I don't. I'd like to see them come back and play, because I've been a fan for roughly 18 years. But if these guys can't figure out a way to split millions of dollars between the two sides, then just go away.

Bang on. I think your fans deserve a bit of closure, if both sides are really not negotiating anymore, and all hope is lost, why not just come out and make the final announcement of this year being cancelled? Why play this stupid waiting game, and drag this crap on longer than it needs to go?

ti-vite

Jul 27, 2004
X8oD said:
latrell Sprewell turned down 13 mil, and seriously used that line as a reason.

and he wasnt joking.

He probably inherited Modanos dog...

EdBelfour20

Jan 19, 2004
KingsFan7824 said:

Great post, I think your feelings echo those of ALOT of hockey fans in Canada, but even moreso in the USA

TexSen

Nov 20, 2003
Schaefer..Beer..mmmm
Westcoasthabsfan said:
I am really getting choked about all this talk just cancel the season and be done with it.....

I'm almost feeling guilty for feeling the way I do because I guess being so far away from my home team and only getting to see them now on Center Ice on Directv I should be more of a staunch, hardcore "get a deal done now because I miss it so much" fan............but sort of wistfully I feel like the longer this drags on the more things I find to do that interests me outside of the realm of watching hockey on tv.

I'm sure most fans that go to see games in person will go back to paying for tickets once this thing is behind us, but I think maybe that $130.00 US I'd pay for Center Ice and the 2.5 hours a night, three to four times a week that I'd give up to watch the Sens won't be missed all that much when and if the NHL starts back up.

It almost feels like breaking up with a girlfriend because she moved away.....you try to keep in touch and interested, but in the end you find other things to do......(no pun intended)

ScottyBowman

Mar 10, 2003
Detroit
Visit site
I can't say I miss hockey a lot but it was fun coming and reading/posting on the Red Wings board,arguing over stupid things, and reading all the zany trade rumors. I'll admit that I wasn't watching too many other teams during the past 3-4 years. The sport is very boring at times.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
I care...

I want to see hockey, because I think I see what the NHL will look like after an extended lockout - and it's not a pretty sight...

To put my picture into words - imagine the TV show "The Swan" backwards... A pretty girl who has plastic surgery to make herself ugly...

Why would anyone do that to themselves willingly and knowingly... Sure, maybe she'll find someone who loves her for her "inner beauty"... but still... there are far less pervasive ways...

kenabnrmal

Feb 28, 2002
the beach or rink
Visit site
I care, quite a bit actually. I love the game, and I love watching the best play it, and unlike many, I don't really hold a grudge against the individual players or owners. The current system isn't working, so I'm anxiously awaiting the new system that takes its place. Minor league hockey is great, it really is, and I enjoy following it. But, nothing takes the place of the best playing the best for me. Nothing beats the run for the playoffs, the trade deadline, playoffs, and the eventual Stanley Cup finals. So, do I miss it? **** yeah I miss it.

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
I cant even count the number of times I turned on the TV and wished there was NHL hockey on. For all the flaws, I enjoy watching NHL hockey far more than any NFL, NBA, MLB game. The lockout is all about greed on both sides. Joe Fan is meaningless to both the owners and the players.

Living in South Florida the lack of media coverage of the lockout is frustrating..its even worse when I am at Virginia Tech. Its not that Americans dont care....there are more than a few hardcore hockey fans in America that want to see the lockout end. However, the media would rather focus on soccer moms and NASCAR dads who dont even know what ice is: "Hey, lets do a poll in Mobile, Alabama and see how many people are aware of the NHL lockout."

I'd write more but the only word I can think of right now rhymes with "duck"

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Haj said:
I'd write more but the only word I can think of right now rhymes with "duck"

Agreed -- it's time to drop the puck.

Oh... you mean the other word that rhymes with duck?

CH Wizard

X8oD said:

I couldn't have said it better , best statement of the thread.

Players deceived me so much.I didn't knowt that they were cry baby like that.

As for me , I really don't care anymore.They seem to be playing with our emotions.I mean , they cancelled an important meeting.The lockout will hurt the NHL alot , many fans will never listen to this undisciplined league anymore.What I hate in that , is that they don't care about fans.That's pretty sad ! We're paying the salaries of the players , I can't beleive players think about themselves and not about the fans.

SPARTAKUS*

You know what I do miss it. As canadians hockey is in our blood and I know right now a lot of us are angry by the lack of respect Bettman & Goodenow are showing us. The NHL is part of the fabric of this country we all can remember when we kids watching HNIC we were glue to the tv screen like bee to honey. And what is so hard for us to understand is the two side are acting like they don't even care. It's sad to see. But you know what Bettman and Goodenow will not destroy our love of the game and the NHL. The NHL has gone thru two World Wars and I am sure it will survive this Cold War. One day the NHL will come back but let me say this it better be a better NHL with lower ticket price and an improve product on the ice and only then will the fans come back. Mr. Bettman and Mr. Goodenow one of these days you're gone have to listen to us the NHL fans because we are the blood line of the NHL. Without us you have nothing you can have your little war but when you decide to come back and play then you'll have to answer to us. It is us who has the power to go are not to go see an NHL game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad