Does Anyone Else Think Ottawa Might Have a Good Season?

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
You don't even have to go that far back. In 2014-15, they traded Spezza away after missing the playoffs the previous season, leaving Turris and MacArthur as their two best forwards. They still made the playoffs. I'd say Stone and Duchene are much better than Turris and MacArthur.

Yeah a lot of people like to poke fun at them but honestly looking at them they aren’t down right horrible like some people think. Th PR needs serious work but the team in general isn’t the worst and many could surprise people like white and brown if they make the team even Chabot and to a certain degree Tkachuk although if it were up to me I’d send him to the O for the season

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
finishing outside of the bottom 3 is a good year for ottawa this year, thats a great year actually, they would love and take that for sure and they could achieve that

Reactions: Critical91

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
If that’s how you look at professional sports, I imagine you are often caught off guard by actual results. It’s so much more complex than that.

Typically you don't get better after losing your best player, especially when you basically don't get any assets back that can help soften the blow.

CCM19

Not Phased
Apr 2, 2015
Remember the time Karlsson and Spezza were hurt and the Sens still made the playoffs? Good times.

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
You don't even have to go that far back. In 2014-15, they traded Spezza away after missing the playoffs the previous season, leaving Turris and MacArthur as their two best forwards. They still made the playoffs. I'd say Stone and Duchene are much better than Turris and MacArthur.
The difference is that that team had the Norris trophy winner on it, if EK was still there it would be different but without him the defence is probably the worst in the league. Add in that that was the year Hammond had his insane run (Anderson also played excellent that year) and you can see why it’s unlikely to repeat. That team had an above average defence and goaltending, both of which look to be very poor for this years team. The forwards are probably comparable though, although 2014-2015 was likely better. Turris 64 points is probably what the Sens can expect from Duchene this year (he hasn’t hit those numbers in the last four seasons and is not as good defensively as Turris was, but he definitely has 60 point potential), Stone might improve on his 64 points that year but not by much. The Sens also had a 54 point Ryan, and two other near 50 point players in Zibanejad and Hoffman. Just looking at the stats I wouldn’t say MacArthur was the second best forward on the team, he finished 7th in scoring.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
They will be better than the Canucks, that's for sure.

Doubt it. The Atlantis has 3 teams that should take every game vs Ottawa and another that should take most. Even the weak Atlantic teams should dust Ottawa. The Pacific has more teams that the Canycks can beat.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Really? Who on Montreal, Vancouver, Detroit, Arizona or the Rangers is better than Stone or Duchene? I'd say the Sens have two players that are better than anyone on those 5 teams.
There's more to a team than two players though. But I think this is a misunderstanding. My post was supposed to say one of the worst teams.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Typically you don't get better after losing your best player, especially when you basically don't get any assets back that can help soften the blow.

Typically, though teams under and overachieve all the time, that’s a part of the nature of sport.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
I'll consider a finish outside the bottom 5(and our draft pick NOT winning a top 3 spot) to be a success this season lol.

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
Really? Who on Montreal, Vancouver, Detroit, Arizona or the Rangers is better than Stone or Duchene? I'd say the Sens have two players that are better than anyone on those 5 teams.
I mean, I'd take Price over either of those guys... and all those teams finished higher than Ottawa did last year... and none of them did as much damage to their roster as the Sens did this offseason.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Arguing about the roster strength when the players' morale keeps getting hit like this is like debating which car's got the best engine when someone keeps trying to fill their tank with streaky bacon. They've got the roster to do okay if everything's pulling together and performing well... but why would they? Why are Duchene and Stone gonna go out to kill themselves every night when they could simply count the days down to their deadline trades?

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Arguing about the roster strength when the players' morale keeps getting hit like this is like debating which car's got the best engine when someone keeps trying to fill their tank with streaky bacon. They've got the roster to do okay if everything's pulling together and performing well... but why would they? Why are Duchene and Stone gonna go out to kill themselves every night when they could simply count the days down to their deadline trades?

A) Because they're professionals.
B) They're gonna get paid next summer, why would they tank their value?
C) Last year the circus act was in the dressing room. This year it's in the front office. It's ridiculous to think they won't try hard because they don't like the owner. Morale was low last year because of insane drama, but why would it be low this year?

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Craig Anderson could put up a 930 and I'm still not sure that would be enough.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Chabot
Ceci
Wideman
Borowiecki
Demelo
Harpur
Jaros/Wolanin

Anderson
Condon

If this back end manages to have a good season i'll eat my hat. Not that the offense is great either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad