Does anyone else miss Kunin?

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
I can’t help but think that we traded a 23 year old center that would fit really well with this team going forward given that Rossi works out.

I think this season could have been the season that we really allowed Kunin to step into a consistent bigger role offensively, possibly playing with Kap and Fiala and getting PP minutes.

Rossi, Kunin, Ek seems like a great center core to build around. Kunin also could switch to wing if you acquire another top C using Dumba or other assets or possibly even use him as part of your package to avoid giving up additional draft picks or say Boldy.

In 76 AHL games Kunin had 27 goals and 20 assists. He has an elite or borderline elite NHL caliber shot. In the AHL, he got better each year. It’s been the same in the NHL.

Without getting a lot of power play time, Kunin had 15 goals and 16 assists in 63 games and was essentially on pace for a 20-20 season. If you include playoffs and his first 3 games this year he has 19 goals and 16 assists in his last 70 games (note: he’s playing 2nd line wing for the Preds with Duchene and Haula).

It seems like if Kunin, say, got PP time with Fiala and Kaprizov and played with them on a line... even without a lot of improvement he could be a 25+ goal - 25+ assist player given his ability to shoot the puck and how good offensively Kaprizov/Fiala are.

Kunin ripping these Kaprizov passes would lead to a lot of goals. I like Marat and Bonino is solid, but I can’t believe we traded Kunin—given our lack of C depth—for Bonino and picks that might not be at the NHL level before Kaprizov and Fiala’s next contracts. Instead we’re making them play with Rask/Bonino and making it much harder for them to produce.

Kaprizov or Zucc - Kunin - Fiala

Zucc or Kaprizov - Ek - Greenway

Parise - Bjugstad or Sturm - Johansson

Foligno - Bjugstad or Sturm - Hartman

Once Rossi comes over Kunin and Ek can slide down. It seems like we’d be in a pretty sound position both near term and in the future compared to where we are currently at.

The Wild need more players that fit the timeline of Fiala/Kaprizov and what’s left of the primes or good play from Spurgeon, Suter, etc. Kunin’s game would be perfect to pair with Kaprizov. I think we need that production now, given Kunin is only 23 as well or the same age as Kaprizov. Marat won’t be here another 3 years or so minimum.

I think we traded away a 50 point center and lost out in the chance to have a much better foundation in terms of C depth.

You could even still trade Dumba/Boldy/1st for Dubois and play...

Kaprizov - Dubois - Kunin

Zuccarello - Rossi - Fiala

Parise - Ek - Greenway

Foligno - ____ - Hartman

Brodin - Spurgeon

Suter - ______

Soucy - ______

To me, that would allow you to have a really solid core of forwards who are all 23-24 or younger surrounded by vets like Parise/Zuccarello and an elite 4th line with Foligno and Hartman.

Last edited:

kegstandbyme

Apr 12, 2010
Saint Paul, Minnesota
I don’t so much. I will say like a lot of you, what happens with Bonino is what will make or break the trade for me. The trade deadline should be very interesting this year to see if Guerin does what some of us suspect he will do.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I think the biggest issue was that Kunin was going to be eligible for the expansion draft and Guerin didn't want to lose Kunin for nothing.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Kunin wasn't a good Center, IMO. Good guy, who might well have a couple of 20 goal seasons as a RW, but I totally agreed with the trade by Guerin, as Kunin was likely to be exposed for Seattle ED. Better to get some value for him than lose him for nothing. In any event, he was a tier down from JEE in terms of being a C, IMO. At best, a Bonino level C, and better on the wing.

I just never saw a lot of upside for him.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Said it before, but based on what our centers actually are this year, I would not have minded Eriksson Ek/Kunin down the middle this year as a final "tryout" for them at those spots.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Kunin wasn't a good Center, IMO. Good guy, who might well have a couple of 20 goal seasons as a RW, but I totally agreed with the trade by Guerin, as Kunin was likely to be exposed for Seattle ED. Better to get some value for him than lose him for nothing. In any event, he was a tier down from JEE in terms of being a C, IMO. At best, a Bonino level C, and better on the wing.

I just never saw a lot of upside for him.

If you go by advanced stats, JEE is a far superior center and it’s not even close

Reactions: MNRube

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Yeah, JEE has better speed, physicality, and experience playing the middle. I always hoped that Kunin would blossom into a RHS sniper.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
just like i didnt see much upside for coyle i agree kunin didn't appear to be more than a 20G scorer. could not lose him for nothing in ED. i wish he was still on the team. i wish him the best except when hes playing against the wild.

Minnewildsota

Jun 7, 2010
just like i didnt see much upside for coyle i agree kunin didn't appear to be more than a 20G scorer. could not lose him for nothing in ED. i wish he was still on the team. i wish him the best except when hes playing against the wild.

I disagree. I saw a ton of upside in Coyle. Now, if I believed he was going to Max out on his potential is a different story

Kunin’s max potential was a second line player. He has/had some offensive upside, never really was a defensive stalwart, not really drove possession.

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
Not sure where you got the idea that Kunin can play center

I don’t disagree with the things that people are saying, but I think what posters are missing is that it’s a choice between Kunin or Rask/Bjugstad and Kunin is multiple magnitudes better of an offensive player.

I agree that Kunin hasn’t particularly been a great possession player. That’s why I mentioned playi by him with Kaprizov and Fiala who can drive possession. Kunin can certainly score and skate with those two on the ice in a way that our current options cannot.

Lastly, 50 points is much less about the player that Kunin is but more-so his skill set as a shooter and skater and playing with elite talent. Similar to how there is a type that plays with Crosby that may not be good on their own but is good with Crosby and puts up points... I think Kunin would really thrive as a passenger who is trailing plays and setting up in the slot/circle areas for one-timers and snapshots.

Kunin isn’t a driver of a line, but I think he can complement drivers really well.

Minnewildsota

Jun 7, 2010
I don’t disagree with the things that people are saying, but I think what posters are missing is that it’s a choice between Kunin or Rask/Bjugstad and Kunin is multiple magnitudes better of an offensive player.

I agree that Kunin hasn’t particularly been a great possession player. That’s why I mentioned playi by him with Kaprizov and Fiala who can drive possession. Kunin can certainly score and skate with those two on the ice in a way that our current options cannot.

Lastly, 50 points is much less about the player that Kunin is but more-so his skill set as a shooter and skater and playing with elite talent. Similar to how there is a type that plays with Crosby that may not be good on their own but is good with Crosby and puts up points... I think Kunin would really thrive as a passenger who is trailing plays and setting up in the slot/circle areas for one-timers and snapshots.

Kunin isn’t a driver of a line, but I think he can complement drivers really well.

But the choice isn't/wasn't between Rask/Bjugstad and Kunin but between Bonino and Kunin. So far, while Bonino hasn't lit the world on fire, he certainly has been more useful than Kunin would have been. IMHO.

Goose312

May 15, 2015
He's not a center. Never did well as a center in the NHL.

I'm not sure how you consider a guy who shot 9.3% with the Wild as having an elite shot.

I think the return was pretty good for him and don't miss him.

Reactions: 57special

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I really don't miss Kunin. I don't believe his ceiling is much higher, at all, than his current level of play. He's a decent middle six RW, that's about it.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
I think Bonino is a better immediate fit and we also got Marat. Kunin was limited physically and I'm glad Guerin moved him instead of JEE & Greenway, they both have more upside.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad