Does Anyone Else Fear Silfverberg Will Become Our Kadri?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Ottawa, as bad as it is, doesn't create the kind of expectations and drama that only the Big Smoke can generate.

No matter how hard Don Brennan tries.

v-man

Apr 19, 2006
Toronto
www.ivories.ca
Ottawa, as bad as it is, doesn't create the kind of expectations and drama that only the Big Smoke can generate.

No matter how hard Don Brennan tries.

As someone who follows both teams, I disagree. The expectations around Zibanejad, Silfv, Filatov, etc have been just as bad, if not worse than the stuff around Kadri. You don't see nearly as many Leaf fans praising so many promising players as the second coming of Christ as you do on the Sens board.

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
As someone who follows both teams, I disagree. The expectations around Zibanejad, Silfv, Filatov, etc have been just as bad, if not worse than the stuff around Kadri. You don't see nearly as many Leaf fans praising so many promising players as the second coming of Christ as you do on the Sens board.

HF =/= the real world. Not even close. The concerns and topics raised on this board dont even come up in conversation with 90% of the fans of this team.

This is a board of extremists.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

You've forgotten "I 'aint even mad" vs. "Will Toronto make the playoffs this year?"...

Ottawa can weather a rebuild, and that includes waiting for prospects to mature.

If you think Filatov deserves more opportunities to showcase his stuff over here, I'm not sure what to tell you.

Did you forget "Kadri Weight-gate?" How about that Van Riemsdyk had been disappointing until he suddenly started scoring in like his 3rd game?

There's more to the Toronto environment than HF.

sanityplease

Jun 21, 2011

Morgan Rielly says hi. (Kadri's old news, he was superhyped for years, like Schenn. & TO doesn't have as many high end prospects to hype)

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
HF =/= the real world. Not even close. The concerns and topics raised on this board dont even come up in conversation with 90% of the fans of this team.

This is a board of extremists.

LOL.. I always find it amusing when people try to judge a cities fanbase by what it said on a message board...

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
He'll be a top 6 player, but will never be as good as many fans on here hyped him to be.

Very mediocre player besides his elite shot (which he needs to learn how to not get blocked) and defensive hockey sense.

i disagree, he has tremendous puck control skills in confined spaces, and is obviously has high hockey IQ.
Im not sure what the expectation was other than he's a really good player, i dont think anyone thought he was coming in and putting up 40 goals or anything.
He's a complete player (or willbe that kind of guy IMO) sort of like a lesser Alfie.

remember is 5 games into his NHL career, lets see how he looks near the end of the year.

Wondercarrot

Jul 2, 2002

yes you are absolutely right, if what you said is the exact opposite of what you mean.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
i disagree, he has tremendous puck control skills in confined spaces, and is obviously has high hockey IQ.
Im not sure what the expectation was other than he's a really good player, i dont think anyone thought he was coming in and putting up 40 goals or anything.
He's a complete player (or willbe that kind of guy IMO) sort of like a lesser Alfie.

remember is 5 games into his NHL career, lets see how he looks near the end of the year.

He loses far too many battles, and loses the puck far too much to have "tremendous puck control skills." That is an area he has to work on.

Silf has been hyped as a Calder candidate by this board for awhile now, but so far he has not looked fast or skilled enough to be anything more than an average 2nd/3rd line winger in his first year. Granted he is just getting started, but I don't see him developing into the star forward many here thought he would become.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I don't think he looks out of place in a top 6 position at this point in his career.

Which is impressive if you think about it.

He's much more involved in the play than Zibanejad was over his 9 game tryout last season. He's also older, more mature, and more confident.

He tries things as opposed to just getting rid of the puck to the nearest available veteran.

The only issue in the past game is that both he and Turris like to shoot. Ultimately, not a great combination IMO at this point in time.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Its hard to get an accurate picture of a player after 5 games. He seems to have the skill to become a top line player, but does he have the drive? Only time will tell.

It's to early to write him off, or declare him a calder candidate.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
He's met all my expectations. The people who were predicting the Calder were out of their mother loving tree. Looks really good so far and is getting better. I see a lot of Jere Lehtinen in him.

I am still predicting he will be in the running for the Calder. He had a slow start in Bingo too... Growing pains, but the points will come. He is too damn good with and without the puck for the points to not come. People want him to score a goal a game, that is not realistic when we have seen how he develops. The next time he gets the chance for a breakaway it will be clear cut, no fumbling the puck. He has plenty of speed to do it.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I think he's been great personally. When he starts cashing in on his scoring chances, he'll register points as well as playing a solid 2-way game.

Big addition to the Sens this year and in the coming years especially.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
You've forgotten "I 'aint even mad" vs. "Will Toronto make the playoffs this year?"...

Ottawa can weather a rebuild, and that includes waiting for prospects to mature.

If you think Filatov deserves more opportunities to showcase his stuff over here, I'm not sure what to tell you.

Did you forget "Kadri Weight-gate?" How about that Van Riemsdyk had been disappointing until he suddenly started scoring in like his 3rd game?

There's more to the Toronto environment than HF.

Had to :laugh: at this.

Ottawa's rebuild produced a playoff team in the first year, its easy to get excited about a team like Murray has built.

However, the fans on this board are trading players, benching players and screaming the sky is falling in after one loss. Hate to see how these fans of the Sens react if this team went into a prolonged slump.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Had to :laugh: at this.

Ottawa's rebuild produced a playoff team in the first year, its easy to get excited about a team like Murray has built.

An 8th place team that went out in the 1st round was considered by most to be a profound success.

If that isn't low expectations, I don't know what is.

We certainly weren't throwing ourselves off of rooftops after Ottawa's ridiculously bad start last season.

However, the fans on this board are trading players, benching players and screaming the sky is falling in after one loss. Hate to see how these fans of the Sens react if this team went into a prolonged slump.

Some fans will always run around like the sky is falling.

Overall though, I think people's expectations are muted.

We may not make the playoffs this year, we barely made it in last year.

This season is a bit of an anomaly in that any kind of slump (injury-related or otherwise) by any team can have a a dramatic effect on the playoff picture.

It's a bit of a crap shoot.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
So you can build a team around Andy McDonald?

Well+Played+Sir+_feee03ee3225f1b76545d450ba6b46bc.jpg

20100421201928!CitizenKaneClap.gif

Wondercarrot

Jul 2, 2002
He loses far too many battles, and loses the puck far too much to have "tremendous puck control skills." That is an area he has to work on.

Silf has been hyped as a Calder candidate by this board for awhile now, but so far he has not looked fast or skilled enough to be anything more than an average 2nd/3rd line winger in his first year. Granted he is just getting started, but I don't see him developing into the star forward many here thought he would become.

nah, he can handle the puck really well in traffic along the boards and make room for himself to pass, he picks up pucks really well on passes.
I see what you are saying about losing the pucks but it seems like a different thing to me, you can tell the skill is there because he does it regularly - what i think he needs to do is get in tune with the speed of the game a little more and i think that only comes with time like every other rookie.
I could see him heating up as the season goes on but realistically in a full season i think 40-50pts (50pts may be a stretch) would have been achievable and that range is above average 2nd line and bottom 1st line point totals.

there are also different types of stars.
if his ceiling is 60-65pts and plays high quality defence I'd say that's a star in the NHL.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
I think he's been great personally. When he starts cashing in on his scoring chances, he'll register points as well as playing a solid 2-way game.

Big addition to the Sens this year and in the coming years especially.

I agree, if I had one concern, I don't think he matches up well with Spezza and Michalek.

Last year that line was productive because they had Greening doing much of the heavy lifting. It freed up space for both Spezza and MM.

Silf isn't a replacement for Greening. He is a finesse player, he likes to handle the puck, make plays as well as shoot. When Spezza plays with guys like that he ends up stationary and becomes less effective.

Playing with Greening Spezza became a lose puck chaser, he was usually in motion, that is when he is the most dangerous.

IMO Silf would be better suited with Turris and more productive. Turris plays a high paced game, counts on his wingers make plays to a greater much greater extent than Spezza.

IMO if Silf could play the left side with Turris & Alfe he would be more productive and dangerous player.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
An 8th place team that went out in the 1st round was considered by most to be a profound success.

If that isn't low expectations, I don't know what is.

Expectations is relative to timing.

At the start of the season many Sens fans believed the team was in for a lottery pick.

Compare that to making the playoffs and taking the top team in the East to game 7, absolutely fans considered that a profound success.

Expected failure, ended with some degree of success, expectations exceeded, fans are happy.

Last edited:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I agree, if I had one concern, I don't think he matches up well with Spezza and Michalek.

Last year that line was productive because they had Greening doing much of the heavy lifting. It freed up space for both Spezza and MM.

Silf isn't a replacement for Greening. He is a finesse player, he likes to handle the puck, make plays as well as shoot. When Spezza plays with guys like that he ends up stationary and becomes less effective.

Playing with Greening Spezza became a lose puck chaser, he was usually in motion, that is when he is the most dangerous.

IMO Silf would be better suited with Turris and more productive. Turris plays a high paced game, counts on his wingers make plays to a greater much greater extent than Spezza.

IMO if Silf could play the left side with Turris & Alfe he would be more productive and dangerous player.

Well, until he scored his goal, I didn't think Greening has played all that well this year.

Certainly I was expecting a little more jump from him on the energy line.

Now, as for Silfverberg, I don't think he's a great fit with Turris as they are both shooters.

I'd rather see Alfie with Turris and Silf with Spezza.

Plus, it gives Spezza someone with hockey IQ to play with. Michalek has certainly improved, but he was largely a north-south guy last year, as was Greening.

I'm willing to give him more time, personally.

When Turris and Silf were out there together against the Pens, I almost felt like they were both jockeying to take shots.

It's all a matter of degree, obviously. I'm not wedded to the lines as they stand, but I think they can be given a few more games.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Well, until he scored his goal, I didn't think Greening has played all that well this year.

Certainly I was expecting a little more jump from him on the energy line.

Now, as for Silfverberg, I don't think he's a great fit with Turris as they are both shooters.

I'd rather see Alfie with Turris and Silf with Spezza.

Plus, it gives Spezza someone with hockey IQ to play with. Michalek has certainly improved, but he was largely a north-south guy last year, as was Greening.

I'm willing to give him more time, personally.

When Turris and Silf were out there together against the Pens, I almost felt like they were both jockeying to take shots.

It's all a matter of degree, obviously. I'm not wedded to the lines as they stand, but I think they can be given a few more games.

Maybe time is the answer, they have only played 5 games.

But with the shortened season I'm not sure MacLean can take too long to try other combinations given neither of the top two lines are producing (Turris excepted).

Latendresse has not been able to keep up with Alfie and Turris. Daugavins is no offensive star, but the Turris line looked much better with him there, which leads me to believe Silf would be even better.

I also thought the Spezza line showed a little more with Greening back with them.

IMO great line combinations come from matching players with complimentary skills. As I see it the top six for the Sens haven't found the right matches yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->