Does Anyone Else Fear Silfverberg Will Become Our Kadri?

Sens Mile

Sep 1, 2008
Read the post before making comparisons.

At this point I do kind of fear that Silfverberg will get the Kadri treatment from the fans and the media. When the season started everyone expected Silfverberg to start on fire, and as many should of expected, it is taking the Silver Surfer awhile to acclimate to the NHL. If Greening sticks on the 1st line and Alfredsson comes back to the 2nd line, I would not be shocked if Silver Surfer gets sent down. I believe that there would be no issues if he is sent down for a little more seasoning.

Now what I fear is that the media will get on his case for not performing to potential unrealistic expectations (IE: Kadri). While there has not been an indication of that happening with the media and fans, we know that the Ottawa media can change at the drop of a dime. I hate the situation Toronto has put on Kadri, the over zealous expectations, and hope that things can be realistic moving foward for Silfverberg. That or he can put the puck in the net a little more.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
When's the last time you seen Kadri block a shot that resulted into a goal?

Problem about Kadri is that he is only offense. Silfverberg plays a full 200 foot game and therefore is useful in all situations, even played some PK for Ottawa.

Invalid comparison and we won't be sending him down. Silfverberg has looked WAY better than Lats.

By the way, how many Senators do you know that could pull of the move he did that just skimmed Fluery's pads. That goes in and this thread doesn't exist and instead another would in it's place how Silfverberg is our saviour.

JustinYS

Oct 21, 2010
I think the Ottawa media should have dropped expectations as soon as he came over. He's going to be a good player but is no star by any means. That's just how I see it.

Sens Mile

Sep 1, 2008
When's the last time you seen Kadri block a shot that resulted into a goal?

Problem about Kadri is that he is only offense. Silfverberg plays a full 200 foot game and therefore is useful in all situations, even played some PK for Ottawa.

Invalid comparison and we won't be sending him down. Silfverberg has looked WAY better than Lats.

By the way, how many Senators do you know that could pull of the move he did that just skimmed Fluery's pads. That goes in and this thread doesn't exist.

I am comparing expectations and not ability

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
He's met all my expectations. The people who were predicting the Calder were out of their mother loving tree. Looks really good so far and is getting better. I see a lot of Jere Lehtinen in him.

Legend Killer

Nov 15, 2007
Ive just seen highlights from Sweden and read reports from Bingo and projections on this forum.

Based on draft position and initial development. This is what I expected.

After hearing all the MVP, next Alfie, Calder, future captain talk. Plus Throwing him on the top line in the middle of a playoff series that we were leading. Im a little dissapointed in what Ive seen. He will certainly get better with time but this is reminiscent of the overhyping of Rundblad.

He plays a solid game so I wouldnt expect him to be sent down anytime soon.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
He's been playing fine. Give him some more time and he'll start putting up the points.

General Granny*

I told you people to temper your expectations, you over hyped the **** out of Rundblad, Filatov and now doing it with Silver.

He's going to be a good player but its going to take a while for him to get there.

enviro61

Sep 12, 2006
Ottawa
I have no issue with his play. After Rundblad, I tempered my expectations for players who come out of the SEL with high expectations. I like his play a lot; better defensively than I anticipated

Berserker*

He's met all my expectations. The people who were predicting the Calder were out of their mother loving tree. Looks really good so far and is getting better. I see a lot of Jere Lehtinen in him.

He's a real solid prospect but I see more offensive potential in Stone and Zibanejad. But that isn't to take anything away from Silfverberg, he will be a real solid player. I see him as becoming an elite 2nd liner in a few years.

IMO Silfverberg has been playing great, he has showed a much higher compete level than I expected. He battles hard for loose pucks is willing to engage physically and almost scored a beauty of a goal tonight.

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
It seems like the only person who thinks he fails expectations is you. If you can't understand what Silfverberg has brought thus far, you should try lawn bowling.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
I've had ZERO issues with Silfverberg.
And I don't think the team does either.

As long as he continues to work hard, he will stay. People here seem to overrate new players a bit. But I completely expected this play from Silfverberg, and have been impressed. Although I think he looks better on the second line, than the third.

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
Silf will be a two way forward with offencive upside. He'll put in 30 goal seasons but he's also going to be bailing us out with blocked shots, hustling back to break up a 2 on 1, and getting the puck after Spetsa turns it over. He's the type of guy that does the little things you need to win hockey games.

R2010

May 23, 2011
Better than I expected. Much better possession skills. Not very often do you see rookies (nowmatter the age) who keep your attention consistently during a game.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
He's a real solid prospect but I see more offensive potential in Stone and Zibanejad. But that isn't to take anything away from Silfverberg, he will be a real solid player. I see him as becoming an elite 2nd liner in a few years.

IMO Silfverberg has been playing great, he has showed a much higher compete level than I expected. He battles hard for loose pucks is willing to engage physically and almost scored a beauty of a goal tonight.

Yep. Silf isn't really a traditional top line player. He's more of a complementary player on a top line. He's got the shot and smarts to be up there but his willingness to do the grunt work will keep him there. You can put this guy on any line in any role and he'll get it done for you. Definitely a keeper imo.

I'm surprised to see this type of negative toned type of thread after the game he had tonight. I was hoping to see him in the shootout. He picked apart a lot of goalies in the old skills comp last season in the SEL.

He's only going to get better folks.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Silf will be a two way forward with offencive upside. He'll put in 30 goal seasons but he's also going to be bailing us out with blocked shots, hustling back to break up a 2 on 1, and getting the puck after Spetsa turns it over. He's the type of guy that does the little things you need to win hockey games.

Who are you and what have you done to Main?

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Yep. Silf isn't really a traditional top line player. He's more of a complementary player on a top line. He's got the shot and smarts to be up there but his willingness to do the grunt work will keep him there. You can put this guy on any line in any role and he'll get it done for you. Definitely a keeper imo.

I'm surprised to see this type of negative toned type of thread after the game he had tonight. I was hoping to see him in the shootout. He picked apart a lot of goalies in the old skills comp last season in the SEL.

He's only going to get better folks.

The negativity overall with some of the Sens fans baffles me. Are we expecting Silfverberg to already have scored 5 goals?

I can expect such reactions for Leaf and Oiler fans.

CR15

Feb 15, 2010
Windsor
I think he has been getting better each game and looks like you can see confidence growing... outside of the ppl on here that have a creepy obsession with any Sens prospect from Sweden thinking their the second coming I have not really seen any outrageous expectations.

Northern Neighbour

Feb 27, 2008
somewhere south of the equator
He's still needs more time to adjust to the speed of the game. His decision-making is still a bit slow, where he's holding on to the puck a bit too long, which allows the defencemen to get on him quickly. His puckhandling skills aren't what I expected them to be, as he has difficulties handling the puck in tight quarters.

He does have a great release. He'll need to learn how to find the open spots in the offensive zone so that he can get opportunities to shoot the puck. That's where his niche likely will be in the NHL - as a scorer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad