Does anyone care about the Lady Byng?

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Its a throwback to days of sportsmanship and gentlemanly behavior. I kinda like it....even if I have no idea who wins it.

LaVal

Dec 13, 2002
Kelowna
I pay so little attention to it that I can't name a single Lady Byng winner. Nothing against it, it's great to have skilled players who rarely ever cost their team with penalties, but it's just not interesting.

GOilers88

Fer Da
Dec 24, 2016
To appreciate it more we should create the Sir Byng for the most PIMs yearly. If we are to appreciate softness, we should also appreciate insanity.
I don't think you understand what the award is for at all.

Actually given your multiple takes on rewarding "softness" in the thread it's pretty clear you don't.

Excellent sportsmanship combined with good talent is something that should definitely be rewarded.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Yes, this thread is full of people who are '2 tuff' to care about the Lady Byng.

Not every player wants the Byng, and not every player should want the Byng.

But if you are a player who manages to be effective and important to your team, while almost never putting the team shorthanded there is a real value in that.

Part of what it may mean is that you are basically never beaten 1-on-1 or putting yourself into desperate situations since that's when many reaching fouls (hooking, high sticking, obstruction) occur.

I love the tough part of hockey, but there's room for different kinds of players. Don Cherry's dumb prejudice against the Byng lives on.

MakeTheGoalsLarger

Dec 9, 2011
Antarctica
It's about as telling about a player's value as the Selke: it means the player is really good while there can easilly be 30 players better him ...or not. Yeah it seems to award better players than the Selke overall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->