Does anyone care about the Lady Byng?

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I forget that it exists every year and I'm pretty sure it's never brought up as an award to tout a players' season or career. I doubt a player has ever gone into contract negotiations talking up his Lady Byng award. Probably the league least concerned about player safety or sportsmanship is the only league that gives players an award for sportsmanship.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Nah I don't think it's a big point of emphasis in contract negotiations. Dunno if players get incentive bonuses for it.

zizbuka

Apr 4, 2017
Yes. It’s my favourite award
58884.jpg

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
It's a nice award, somewhat underrated because people like rough play and fights too much.

Nowhere near the Hart, Art Ross, Richard and Lindsay scale though.

Hart
Lindsay
Art Ross/Richard
Selke
Byng
Masterton
Clancy
Messier

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Sportsmanship, legal play, + talent. Only in the NHL would an award given for those attributes be constantly mocked. Probably should be the most prestigious honor.

My Best-Carey
Not really familiar with the slate of awards in other major sports - is there an equivalent in any other major sports?

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
When guys got 200-300 pims a season and still featured as top scorers I think it meant something. With the changes to the game, I think it's definitely lost in the shuffle.

Reactions: Burkeocet

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
The lady Byng always seems like an award they give to good players who don't win other awards. Look at Gretzky he won it 5 times but not during his 80s run where he dominated the Art Ross and Hart

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I had absolutely no idea William Karlsson won it a few years ago.

Sportsmanship, legal play, + talent. Only in the NHL would an award given for those attributes be constantly mocked. Probably should be the most prestigious honor.

My Best-Carey

Did Beliveau ever win?

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I'm sure someone out there does. I've never met that person, but I bet they do exist. Just gotta look far enough.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

My Best-Carey

I'll just say what a lot of folks are thinking but maybe don't want to say.

It's the name of the trophy.

UED

May 2, 2021
People don't care about it because the only hockey prerequisite for it is being good, as opposed to other awards, where you have to be the literal best at what you do to win them. It's cool if your star stays out of the penalty box like a Barkov, fewer penalties for your team, but what does it matter if he wins a Byng or finishes 10th? You already know he's good and doesn't take penalties. It doesn't suggest he's the best at anything. The Selke does, though, so that's an exciting prospective award for a guy like Barkov.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
The award for not getting penalties. It might help the team but its a subjective one by the refs who aren't .
Normally small people that can't fight win it because they are small and can't fight so they don't want to piss people off

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad