Does anybody actually care about the upcoming draft?

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
I am very intrigued by this draft!

So many players either didn't play or played limited games this year that there are bound to be good players taken later in the draft than normal.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
its going to be one of the more boring drafts on draft day, but it will be one of the more intriguing drafts to look back on. COVID shutting down various leagues/shortening seasons means a poorer first round with an unusual abundance of quality players in later rounds.

Mubiki

Jan 10, 2013
The Covid-19 angle is what makes it interesting to me.

When you combine that with the speed at which young men physically mature, it gets tricky.

Just think, there are players out there who have probably grown multiple inches and gained double digit pounds of muscle just by growing up, and many of them haven't played a lot of hockey in the last year. There is going to be a lot of missing information.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
As much as any other draft.

The lack of scouting doesn’t affect the quality of the players.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I'm usually at least somewhat familiar with the top ~90 potential draftees. This year the scouting reports are so all over the place it's hard to get a real feel for a lot of these players. Lots of scouts rely on seeing players play live, there just wasn't very much opportunity for that the last year.

Could be very interesting as far as some picks coming out of no where. The top 15 aren't really as impressive as other years but that only represents a small portion of the draft as a whole.

Woodrow

Dec 8, 2005
It seems dmen are ranked 1st and 2nd in this draft but I think drafting a dman #1 overall is almost always a mistake. Especially when the first thing people say about them is their height. I think savvy GMs might be able to make some good trades this year.

Reactions: shello

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
ITT, people saying the draft sucks because they aren't professional scouts and a lot of these players played 0-25% of their normal games.

Just because Bedard or Wright (or Michkov and Lambert) aren't in this draft doesn't mean it sucks. Imagine thinking everyone is a bust GOING INTO the draft.

Reactions: apollo18

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Sure. I’m always excited about the draft. This one is probably even more exciting given the lack of consensus and the lack of games for a lot of the players. The scouts will earn their pay cheques in this one!

banks

Only got 5/16
Aug 29, 2019
Not in the slightest. But I've never been a big draft follower.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yes.

If you don’t care, no ones forcing you to care. What’s the point of this thread?

And the pundits often claim a draft is good or bad, and get it wrong. There will be plenty of good players that come out of this draft.

Brown Cat

Hates OP
Jan 7, 2021
>let the whales by all the hockey cards of a weak draft year
>they mass sell off rookie cards cause most of them are initially bad
>buy up mass rookie cards en masse and hold until some gems develope

Did this in some draft years. Made some nice cash.

alphabetical

May 8, 2013
I'm excited for the expansion draft. For the regular draft, I don't think there's a lot of information about who's who. It'll be interesting to see how it pans out in a few years, but I won't care about it as much as normal on the day because there simply isn't as much information about who's getting selected.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Was the NHL not considering to postpone this year's draft to next year and have 2 drafts in 2022?

It was considered and might have happened had a lot of the minor leagues shut down completely during the pandemic. But the AHL, WHL, SHL, KHL/VHL/MHL, U.S. Colleges all played games and the high-profile OHL kids went overseas to get games in. I believe that if minor hockey was completely shut down, the draft would've been pushed back.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
As a Canucks fan besides management change yes this is exciting looking forward to getting a top pick. I mean bad teams generally have nothing else to look forward to do they.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad