Does anybody actually care about the upcoming draft?

cesareborgia

Jun 9, 2010
It's going to be the worst draft class since 1999. Likely worse. Probably some diamonds in the rough in the later rounds.

Is anybody looking forward to this draft? Would really suck to be a bad team this year, with wonky divisions that we will never see again, and a beyond disappointing upcoming draft.

DieSendungmitderMaus

Apr 14, 2018
I imagine teams that need help do, even though the value of the picks is compromised. It's also probably the draft with the most uncertainty since the iron curtain fell and a subject of study for years to come. So it should be interesting to people who actually follow prospects.

Btw, given that we read about strong or weak draft classes almost every year- has anyone looked at wether those evaluations before the draft wound up being true a decade later? Or wether teams actually treated picks in a consensus weak draft year as less valuable than normal? Just wondering how much stock one should actually put into these wholesale evaluation of draft classes.

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
I imagine teams that need help do, even though the value of the picks is compromised. It's also probably the draft with the most uncertainty since the iron curtain fell and a subject of study for years to come. So it should be interesting to people who actually follow prospects.

Btw, given that we read about strong or weak draft classes almost every year- has anyone looked at wether those evaluations before the draft wound up being true a decade later? Or wether teams actually treated picks in a consensus weak draft year as less valuable than normal? Just wondering how much stock one should actually put into these wholesale evaluation of draft classes.

What I want to know is what were people thinking of the 1999 draft heading into it.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Don't usually follow drafts outside of people on here hyping up 1 or 2 players but I would be frustrated if my team got a first overall pick and it was already known the draft will suck

cesareborgia

Jun 9, 2010
This is the year to load up on picks. There are going to be some sweet under scouted diamonds in that 3rd to 7th round area imo
My sentiments exactly. Top rounds will be a bust but there might be some Gilmours and Datsyuks in the later rounds.

This is why I say it's just the worst year ever to be a bad team.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
Don't usually follow drafts outside of people on here hyping up 1 or 2 players but I would be frustrated if my team got a first overall pick and it was already known the draft will suck

Owen Power is gonna suck?

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
What I want to know is what were people thinking of the 1999 draft heading into it.
It was thought to be a deep draft heading into it. Stefan and the Sedins headlining with depth throughout. I remember the Islanders were supposed to be in great position with four 1st round picks... Just goes to show sometimes predraft analysis can be dead wrong.

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
It was thought to be a deep draft heading into it. Stefan and the Sedins headlining with depth throughout. I remember the Islanders were supposed to be in great position with four 1st round picks... Just goes to show sometimes predraft analysis can be dead wrong.

If that's the case then yeah, all it proves is that nobody really knows.

tellermine

Oct 21, 2018
Köln, Helsinki, Lappeenranta
Most Interesting draft in years!
There will be some gems hidden.
Nice to see who gets them. Who actually can scout.

It will take few years to see results but I am sure there will be many good NHL players coming from this draft.

Laus723

Paradise hockey
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL

Man, Kudroc and Mezei in the first round? Not that I can talk, they both eventually ended up with the Panthers

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
We really cant say its going to be weak or not. A lot of these prospects haven't really had enough time to show case what they bring to the table. Meaning there very well could be prospects that in normal years would of skyrocketed to mid 1st round guys, but yet are projected to go 4 or 5th round due to the lack of playing time to improve their stock. It's going to be a crap shoot from the 1st round on.

Reactions: Mordoch and CBJx614

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Always interested in seeing what sleeper picks are taken in the later rounds. Not much vested in the 1st round obviously, other than that investment is currently injured.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
I’m very interested in this draft, just like all the others. There are always good players to be found. If anything, the lack of games and scouting adds intrigue for me.

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
Fan wise? Not really imo, Semi-casual draft fan only starts checking up on prospects on their Draft season, most players Draft season got ruined, +the Draft was already labeled as a weak draft and is followed by the two most hyped Drafts since 2015.

Most fans are now just waiting for those 2022 & 23 Drafts.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Once the playoffs are over I'll be looking forward to it, just like most other years.

The big difference between this and most recent drafts is there are no stand-out(s) we've been hearing about and following all year that makes it more exciting to see who drafts first (and second, and third).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad