News Article: Does Anthony Stolarz Have a Future in Philly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
The way that the reporting is framed is usually important to me.

Why would the Flyers be trying for Elliott rather than Stolarz? The obvious answer is money, but if there's zero interest in retaining him, it wouldn't make or break the deal. It makes me think Fletcher wants more if it's Stolarz, even if the difference is tiny.
HAZ RAGE< WILL NOT READ!

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I wouldn't take Talbot at any price for any amount of time, barring a significant asset coming back like Edmonton's first, which they would be batshit crazy to do.

There's too great a risk that Fletcher re-signs this guy and he's not going to be that cheap. At minimum $2.5M per for 2 years, probably more like $3M. I'll take Stolarz at $900K-$1.1Mish over that all day.

I am told quite often that Hextall's trade of Hartnell is working out great for us because Columbus has to pay him $1.25M next year, so I'm treating this extra $1.5M-$2M like it matters a lot.

Apparently Talbot is doing a hell of a job mentoring Hart via text message and they can continue to do that.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I would love to know what Talbot actually wants for AAV on a 1 and 2 year deal. It's so tough to have the discussion with any sort of accuracy when his demands could be absurd.

If they don't land a Panarin/Stone type, I would rather give Talbot 1/6 than 2/6.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Talbot doesn't have a lot of bargaining power, his last two seasons have been subpar, he basically had two good seasons as a starter, .917 and .919, and after 73 and 67 starts the previous two years he looks shot. Last two years .908, .893.

He's 32 next year, at best he's a stopgap starter who'll probably be below league average, I doubt anyone gives him a better deal than Elliott, who was 32 when he signed with the Flyers off .910, .930 and .917 seasons.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I can't imagine why they would do a straight swap when they can just sign Talbot later and try to do something else with Stolarz. Although, trading Stolarz for some value isn't bad considering he was on waivers 4 months ago

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
There’s not real incentive for the flyers to push for anything this season. I mean it hasn’t hurt hart yet. Let the two kids roll through the year and it’ll help clarify the picture. It’s likely we regress to the mean and both hart and stolarz start getting picked apart. How they respond to that will tell if either need a big brother or can be a big brother. Elliot is going to get paid to be a goalie coach the remainder of the year i would hope.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I would love to know what Talbot actually wants for AAV on a 1 and 2 year deal. It's so tough to have the discussion with any sort of accuracy when his demands could be absurd.

If they don't land a Panarin/Stone type, I would rather give Talbot 1/6 than 2/6.

Or ya know, just keep the better goalie Stolarz.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Well, Stolarz:
2014-15: 31g .905
2015-16: 47g .916
2016-17: 29g .911, NHL 7g .928
At what point did he show in the AHL that he was a legitimate NHL prospect?

Meanwhile Lyon:
2016-17: 47g .912
2017-18: 27g .913, NHL 11 .905, AHL PO: 11g .944
2018-19: 22g .921

I don't see much difference between a healthy Stolarz and a healthy Lyon.
Stolarz had a protected SSS NHL sample that looks good, but a meh AHL career.
Lyon has made steady progress in the AHL, but struggled in his NHL cameo.

I think both are good candidates for backup goalie, but questionable as starters.

Lyon didn't struggle in his NHL cameo - he completely crapped the bed. He's the new Neil Little and that's not a bad thing. Yeah, he might be a career AHLer, but he's exactly the kind of guy you want in the AHL pushing the younger goalies going forward.

As for Stolarz, he's shown more in his NHL cameos than what Lyon has. That's the reality of it. It's not his fault we had an arsehole of a head coach that wouldn't use him.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Oh come on Beef. He played him plenty....in a 4 day period.

I was amazed by that...appeared in 5 games in 8 days. It's crazy to look at his stats outside of that one stretch.

Hakstol's final roadtrip, starting with the win in Buffalo: 5GP 1-2-1 .860sv%
The rest of Stolarz career: 14 GP , 5-2-3, .926 sv%, 2 SO

The kid's had 14 games in which he's qualified for a decision in (basically, starts) and he's gotten two shutouts. That's pretty amazing!

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I was amazed by that...appeared in 5 games in 8 days. It's crazy to look at his stats outside of that one stretch.

Hakstol's final roadtrip, starting with the win in Buffalo: 5GP 1-2-1 .860sv%
The rest of Stolarz career: 14 GP , 5-2-3, .926 sv%, 2 SO

The kid's had 14 games in which he's qualified for a decision in (basically, starts) and he's gotten two shutouts. That's pretty amazing!

5 games in 8 days coming fresh off of a major injury, including 3 games in 4 days and a back to back start.

Hakstol was unspeakably stupid. That right there is a coach doing actual reckless physical damage to a player.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
5 games in 8 days coming fresh off of a major injury, including 3 games in 4 days and a back to back start.

Hakstol was unspeakably stupid. That right there is a coach doing actual reckless physical damage to a player.

Ill fight to the death to defend the notion that Hak was the worst coach in franchise history.

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
It would be massively stupid to trade for Talbot and give up Stolarz. If that is a straight up deal I am not going to be happy. There needs to be a sweetener to the deal coming back here. Prospect or a high pick(obviously not their first)

I agree - we are helping them out by taking on salary and giving up a goalie with at least some upside. Stolarz might be a career backup, but with the small sample size he could turn into something more. Talbot is a UFA at the end of the season.

Reactions: Ruck Over

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
All we need Stolarz to be is a backup. We have two homegrown goalies both playing well for the first time in decades. Why change things? Cuz duh teh Flyers. MUST GO GET OVERPAID MEDIOCRITY

Reactions: Ruck Over

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Talbot's two years with the Rangers were pretty good and his first two years in Edmonton were solid. He's fallen off the cliff the last two seasons but then again it's been on a team with a bad defense and issues.
Hart is going to be the guy here. The Flyers need someone to do twenty games or so. That may be an environment which Talbot can handle. Plus he's been healthy which is more than Elliott or Neuvirth can say. Those two are done here so getting Talbot isn't the worst option.
If Edmonton can make it worth while to move Stolarz, its a move to make. Fletch should get more back than Talbot for Stolarz. The Oilers are getting some badly needed cap relief and a competent young goalie. Unfortunately he also has had a history of knee problems. The Flyers still have Lyon, Sandstrom and a few other promising prospects in the pipeline.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I don't see any difference between Lyon and Stolarz, Lyon struggled last year in his cameo, but .905 S% isn't terrible (this year it's obvious he wasn't 100%) and doesn't end his future as a prospect. Having see both play this year, I think both have a good shot at being capable backups but right now I'd project them as below average NHL starters.

Neil Little:
starting at age 23 (after a ECHL stint)
48g .895
54g .909 - PO 10g .935
51g .903 - PO 20g .927
50g .894 (IHL)
51g .906 - PO 5g .922
58g .909 - PO 10g .926
35g .926 - PO 5g .917
breakout season at age 29/30

Little was weird, his playoff performances were elite, his regular season performances below average.
But Lyon is much better than Little.

orangecrush8

May 21, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
TB Domingue $1.15M 84 NHL games
TOR Sparks $675K 30 NHL games
PIT DeSmith $675K 45 NHL games
WAS Copley $650K 23 NHL games
SJ Dell $1.9M 67 NHL games
VEG Subban $650K 32 NHL games
NAS Saros $1.5M 72 NHL games

Boston has Halak. Calgary has Rittich, who has taken control of the starter's job at $880,000. Basically all of the best/smartest teams in the league are going with bargain-basement backup goalies. None of the playoff teams have gone the crappy backup veteran route except Montreal, who got Niemi for $950K.
Vasilevskiy
Anderson
Murray
Holtby
Jones
Fleury
Rinne

Each of those backups you listed has legitimately proven starting goaltenders in front of them.

I love Hart and see great things, but there will be hiccups. And I don’t want Anthony Stolarz to be the guy when Hart has a rough patch.

Just my opinion.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->