News Article: Does Anthony Stolarz Have a Future in Philly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Flyers Future for Stolarz?

He’s only notched a .903 SV% so far this season, though it’s worth noting that the bulk of that damage occurred during the team’s fateful Western Canadian road trip in December, when the wheels of this season–and Dave Hakstol’s coaching career–fell off completely.

Asked to play an absurd five games in just eight days, Stolarz allowed 15 goals on 91 shots behind a ragged, defeated Flyers team. Even during a 6-5 team collapse against the Calgary Flames, he played better than his numbers: he allowed six goals, but they occurred on 41 shots, many of them from high-danger scoring areas. A match days later against the Vancouver Canucks proved to be Hakstol’s last, and Stolarz exited early with a nagging injury after allowing two goals on the first four shots.

On that trip, he was brutally overworked, allowing 17 goals on 121 shots (a .860 SV%) and getting hurt in the process. But outside of that one nightmare week, his results have again been mostly stellar: just 18 goals allowed on 237 shots across seven appearances, good for a .924 SV% and a shutout.

This week, I looked at Stolie's (very, very) brief NHL career so far, and consider whether or not he deserves a shot at the backup role.

So I guess his name popped up in the Talbot talks around the time I published this guy. Would you prefer Talbot over Stolarz? Do you think Stolarz has been given a fair shot with the Flyers?

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Well apparently according to Dreger it looks like he would be the return for acquiring Talbot

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Yeah, the unfortunate thing about writing, right? You're only ever relevant for a couple weeks at most, hours at worst.

It's unfortunate, really, if that's the case. He hasn't done anything to hinder his stand in the organization...just got his opportunities too late and got hurt at the wrong times.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
For some reason I doubt they trade Stolie. But, if they did trade him in the Talbot deal we better be getting at least a 3rd rounder in the deal as well.

AdamParrot

Mar 10, 2015
Maybe bigger deal? With Simmonds, Puljujarvi/1st round, any prospect from us..?

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
To answer your question about Stolie getting a fair shake in Philly? Hell no. Why? Because our former HC Jeff was an incompetent coach, and never trusted his AHL/rookie goalies, instead preferring to run his injury-prone NHL goalies into the ground.

There was one season we didn't make the playoffs, he could've come up then after elimination and just played games (assuming he was healthy, I forget the timing of his injuries). And there were to Flyer playoff runs, so it's understandable he didn't get the late season call-up; however, he still should have seen time pending his health because we all know Elliott and Neuvy don't stay healthy over a whole season.

Argh, it's all just crap on a crap cracker. Hextall deeming the goalie not ready got to get an old band-aid instead, Hakstol deeming the NHL starter can play the whole month of December (think Lyon was the back-up then). Just poop. I want Stolie to succeed here, but for his sake, I hope he does become a Group VI UFA, then can select the organization that best suits his future needs. Enough with the stringing along Flyers.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
To answer your question about Stolie getting a fair shake in Philly? Hell no. Why? Because our former HC Jeff was an incompetent coach, and never trusted his AHL/rookie goalies, instead preferring to run his injury-prone NHL goalies into the ground.

Well, Stolarz:
2014-15: 31g .905
2015-16: 47g .916
2016-17: 29g .911, NHL 7g .928
At what point did he show in the AHL that he was a legitimate NHL prospect?

Meanwhile Lyon:
2016-17: 47g .912
2017-18: 27g .913, NHL 11 .905, AHL PO: 11g .944
2018-19: 22g .921

I don't see much difference between a healthy Stolarz and a healthy Lyon.
Stolarz had a protected SSS NHL sample that looks good, but a meh AHL career.
Lyon has made steady progress in the AHL, but struggled in his NHL cameo.

I think both are good candidates for backup goalie, but questionable as starters.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

There was one season we didn't make the playoffs, he could've come up then after elimination and just played games (assuming he was healthy, I forget the timing of his injuries). And there were to Flyer playoff runs, so it's understandable he didn't get the late season call-up; however, he still should have seen time pending his health because we all know Elliott and Neuvy don't stay healthy over a whole season.

Argh, it's all just crap on a crap cracker. Hextall deeming the goalie not ready got to get an old band-aid instead, Hakstol deeming the NHL starter can play the whole month of December (think Lyon was the back-up then). Just poop. I want Stolie to succeed here, but for his sake, I hope he does become a Group VI UFA, then can select the organization that best suits his future needs. Enough with the stringing along Flyers.

Yeah, he definitely didn't get a fair shake. Pitching a shutout and then not seeing playing time again was coaching idiocy. Then, getting another chance and having it put on hold because more coaching idiocy re-injured him.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Yeah, he definitely didn't get a fair shake. Pitching a shutout and then not seeing playing time again was coaching idiocy. Then, getting another chance and having it put on hold because more coaching idiocy re-injured him.
That was the big WTF moment for me.

Stolie posts a shutout.....then never starts another NHL game before being sent back to the AHL for 2 months. Think what that does for the confidence of a player...let alone a goalie.

Beet idiot.

Ruck Over

Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Well, Stolarz:
2014-15: 31g .905
2015-16: 47g .916
2016-17: 29g .911, NHL 7g .928
At what point did he show in the AHL that he was a legitimate NHL prospect?

Meanwhile Lyon:
2016-17: 47g .912
2017-18: 27g .913, NHL 11 .905, AHL PO: 11g .944
2018-19: 22g .921

I don't see much difference between a healthy Stolarz and a healthy Lyon.
Stolarz had a protected SSS NHL sample that looks good, but a meh AHL career.
Lyon has made steady progress in the AHL, but struggled in his NHL cameo.

I think both are good candidates for backup goalie, but questionable as starters.
Your assessment of talent leaves something to be desired, and your critiques often lack nuance.

Could it be that the Flyers are a better team than the Phantoms, and his numbers would look better behind an NHL club, rather than an AHL club? That general sentiment is the same crap said about Carter Hart and his rough two months with the Phantoms. Maybe that club sucks compared to the Flyers, why the majority of those players are AHL-capped, and once with the NHL club, he has looked remarkably better. Just stop. There has been plenty of time to test both Stolarz and Lyon than has been accomplished over these past few seasons to test their NHL, back-up, quality potential. The Flyers instead wasted that on Elliott, Mzarek, & Pickard. That's after hitching the wagon to Neuvy as the starter replacement for Mason, whom was unceremoniously ran out of town.

Of course, no one could have predicted the unavailability of Neuvy during much of this time, which required going out and getting other goaltenders. NO ONE, SAW HIS INJURY WOES COMING! That forced the Flyers to go out and get another goaltender, not just promote from the inside. THEY HAD NO CHOICE! The Flyers were not doing a rebuild, they always strove to make the playoffs and compete. TANKING IS NOT IN THE FLYERS VOCABULARY!

Just a house made of straw blowing away in the wind. /rant

KrazyKat

May 27, 2013
Vancouver
Here’s my take.

Stolarz is and will be a a good goalie in the NHL.

His angles are a bit weak for his size, and his rebound control is a bit of a mess.

But he could easily, with another year of experience and training become a much better goalie.
He’s athletic and big.

If he can stay healthy he will be a force in the future, as he is a bit of a long term project.

As for the Flyers needs though, carter is clearly our starter moving forward for a while. And with Lyon, as a good #3 and Samdstrom/Errson/Ustimenko all in the system. There isn’t much room for him.
Flyers also don’t want to have a risk, in case Hart gets hurt. Or Stolarz can’t hold the fort for an 82 game season.

At least Talbot can mentor Hart, and can play a good 30 games no problem.

But trust me, jt sucks to see Stolarz leave. He’s done well here. Hopefully he can get a shot somewhere else.

But for a team pushing for Playoffs/Stanley Cup soon, Philadelphia isn’t the best fit for him.

Reactions: kostas and fat

Ruck Over

Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
There is so much consideration given that the Flyers are in a good spot to compete soon because kids will fill the depth positions, and they play for cheap. Playing for cheap allows expenditures in other proven star top players, instead of a glut of passable expensive average dudes. Yet, at the back-up goalie position, folks don't want a cheap young player. Even though they are fine with a cheap young starter (whom has drastic game swings projected between over 70 to capped at 50). This makes no sense.

If Lyon is good enough to be the #3 in the org, then he should be good enough to be the #2 if Stolie fails. They can swap places, that gives one of the Sandstrom/Fedotov/Ustimenko/Ersson (no order) the back-up spot in LV, and maybe another a job in Reading if they'd accept it.

This team is about down to one "band-aid"/failedFA left, AMac. Why, oh why, is there desire to bring in another one? Even if for two years*? If Hart flames out, do we expect this back-up goalie TBD to rescue the season and keep any modest playoff hopes alive?
If yes, why is this player content to platoon at best with the Flyers for two years instead of looking for a more adventagous position with another club?
If no, why do we give a damn if that guy loses games or it is Stolie/Lyon?

Basically, F- Talbot and those of his ilk. I'd rather let Stolie do it, or at worst, bring back Elliott.

*Mystical fan derived term of choice

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
TB Domingue $1.15M 84 NHL games
TOR Sparks $675K 30 NHL games
PIT DeSmith $675K 45 NHL games
WAS Copley $650K 23 NHL games
SJ Dell $1.9M 67 NHL games
VEG Subban $650K 32 NHL games
NAS Saros $1.5M 72 NHL games

Boston has Halak. Calgary has Rittich, who has taken control of the starter's job at $880,000. Basically all of the best/smartest teams in the league are going with bargain-basement backup goalies. None of the playoff teams have gone the crappy backup veteran route except Montreal, who got Niemi for $950K.

Schwarbomb

Howie Be Thy Name
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
There is so much consideration given that the Flyers are in a good spot to compete soon because kids will fill the depth positions, and they play for cheap. Playing for cheap allows expenditures in other proven star top players, instead of a glut of passable expensive average dudes. Yet, at the back-up goalie position, folks don't want a cheap young player. Even though they are fine with a cheap young starter (whom has drastic game swings projected between over 70 to capped at 50). This makes no sense.

If Lyon is good enough to be the #3 in the org, then he should be good enough to be the #2 if Stolie fails. They can swap places, that gives one of the Sandstrom/Fedotov/Ustimenko/Ersson (no order) the back-up spot in LV, and maybe another a job in Reading if they'd accept it.

This team is about down to one "band-aid"/failedFA left, AMac. Why, oh why, is there desire to bring in another one? Even if for two years*? If Hart flames out, do we expect this back-up goalie TBD to rescue the season and keep any modest playoff hopes alive?
If yes, why is this player content to platoon at best with the Flyers for two years instead of looking for a more adventagous position with another club?
If no, why do we give a damn if that guy loses games or it is Stolie/Lyon?

Basically, F- Talbot and those of his ilk. I'd rather let Stolie do it, or at worst, bring back Elliott.

*Mystical fan derived term of choice
This is what I think as well, with Hart the Flyers potentially have one of the best goalie values in the league, they would be punting on some of that value by bringing in some garbage vet like Talbot (assuming he costs 3-4M to resign). I don't care about the mentor aspect for Hart, he seems to have a great head on his shoulders and this isn't kindergarten.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
If you like Stolarz and can't fit enough games in to prevent Group VI status, you can still re-sign him. I would suspect there's a clear overpay deal on him that's still cheaper than Talbot will want.

With that being said, I'm not going to go nuts if they want Talbot as long as the contract makes sense and they don't send a cost-controlled asset for him.

I'm almost 100% sure I'm happier with a deal that returns Talbot than I am Puljujarvi given relative costs. If that's the worst that happens this deadline, etc.

Ruck Over

Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
If you like Stolarz and can't fit enough games in to prevent Group VI status, you can still re-sign him. I would suspect there's a clear overpay deal on him that's still cheaper than Talbot will want.

With that being said, I'm not going to go nuts if they want Talbot as long as the contract makes sense and they don't send a cost-controlled asset for him.

I'm almost 100% sure I'm happier with a deal that returns Talbot than I am Puljujarvi given relative costs. If that's the worst that happens this deadline, etc.
The only deal that makes sense for Talbot is one of Neuvy or Elliott (retained so Edmonton gets their cap relief), for Talbot +. And if Edmonton doesn't want one of our goalies (to the WAIVER WIRE/LTIR WITH YOU!), then I still want a plus, and the Flyers will give Edmonton- future considerations.

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
The only deal that makes sense for Talbot is one of Neuvy or Elliott (retained so Edmonton gets their cap relief), for Talbot +. And if Edmonton doesn't want one of our goalies (to the WAIVER WIRE/LTIR WITH YOU!), then I still want a plus, and the Flyers will give Edmonton- future considerations.

The way that the reporting is framed is usually important to me.

Why would the Flyers be trying for Elliott rather than Stolarz? The obvious answer is cash output but if there's zero interest in retaining him, it wouldn't make or break the deal. It makes me think Fletcher wants more if it's Stolarz, even if the difference is tiny.

Reactions: Ruck Over
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad