Does Alex Tanguay deserve to be on Team Canada?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hemsky is a gangsta

Hemsky is a gangsta
Jun 23, 2004
re

He averaged over a point a game, so I say yes. If this whole Heatley thing prevents him from playing in the World Cup Tanguay would be a good replacement

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
He could and there would be no arguement and he wouldn't look out of place, but looking at Team Canada's roster and the overall make-up and balance they are trying to achieve, its hard to argue kicking out any of the other high-flying offensive players on the team to make room for Tanguay.

To say he deserves to be there instead of Morrow, Maltby or Draper or somebody like that is flawed logic, at least until Team Canada proves it is having trouble scoring, which I doubt will happen.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
tanguay had a great season, but as it stands, the only player i would remove from the team for him would be gagne. tanguay had more points than all but 3 guys on the team, but points don't tell the whole story. he's good, and his time will definitly come, but i like the team almost exactly as it is. the only change would be to dump gagne for either tanguay or kariya in my oppinion

Hart_House_Ca

Feb 21, 2004
Lots of people deserve to be on team canada, but because of the depth we have to leave a lot of very good people off. You can't have a team full of all stars. We have to respect the idea of role players. We can't have a lineup full of goal scorers and no defenders, or checkers. Hence a lot of goal scorers will be left off.

Nobody deserves to be on team canada. Its really up to gretzky and company to decide what kinda team they want to take. In the end, its their reputations thats on the line.

Of all the goal scorers we have on team canada, who do you think tanguay should replace and would he make that big of a difference from the guy hes' replacing?

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Well, to replace Yzerman, it was down to Lecavalier or Primeau. Not that this has much to do with Tanguay, but if a center goes down, Primeau will be the replacement, which IMO isn't the best idea.

P Jiddy

Jun 26, 2002
Visit site
Tricolore#20 said:
Yeah, I'd also take Tanguay over Gagne. I don't know why Gagne was still included on Canada, considering the guys who were left off.
The reason why Gagne is there before Tanguay is because he has been there once already, has shared team success and he has a good understanding of what his role with the team will be again if they are to achieve success again. If you look at it on paper there is no question that Tanguay would be the top choice but when you look a little deeper it makes sense that Gagne would be selected before Tanguay. Gagne does a lot of little things that sometimes go unnoticed on the stat sheet. Both are both good players and like many have said Tanguay will most likely get his chance sooner that later but Gagne has been a part of the puzzle that has worked once so I can see why they would keep that piece intact. Just my opnion though.

Kenadyan

Jul 23, 2003
Asheboro, NC
Visit site
P Jiddy said:
...and like many have said Tanguay will most likely get his chance sooner that later...

My thoughts exactly when I read the thread on this board. Tanguay will be (barring injury) on the 2006 Olympic hockey team (if they still are using professionals then). Guys like Mario, Yzerman, and Sakic (although Joe might be there in 2006 as captain) will be retired by that time which will open the door for guys like Tanguay, Spezza, and Nash to play for Team Canada.

Team Canada looks well set for the next 10+ years when you add the above three to players on this year's team (Lecavilier, Richards, Iginla, Heatley, Gagne, Smyth) and then think about a player like Crosby who will be there eventually. The future looks bright!! :)

sharkyz15

Jul 13, 2003
The Dirty Dirty SC
Visit site
Kenadyan said:
My thoughts exactly when I read the thread on this board. Tanguay will be (barring injury) on the 2006 Olympic hockey team (if they still are using professionals then). Guys like Mario, Yzerman, and Sakic (although Joe might be there in 2006 as captain) will be retired by that time which will open the door for guys like Tanguay, Spezza, and Nash to play for Team Canada.

Team Canada looks well set for the next 10+ years when you add the above three to players on this year's team (Lecavilier, Richards, Iginla, Heatley, Gagne, Smyth) and then think about a player like Crosby who will be there eventually. The future looks bright!! :)

Alex Tanguay is probably my favorite or atleast one of my top 3 fav players not on Sharks others being Gagne and Havlat so obvouisly i think he deserves it. Put him on a line with Marleau and Doan and they will be awsome for Canada.

bossy22

Mar 14, 2004
Calgary
P Jiddy said:
The reason why Gagne is there before Tanguay is because he has been there once already, has shared team success and he has a good understanding of what his role with the team will be again if they are to achieve success again. If you look at it on paper there is no question that Tanguay would be the top choice but when you look a little deeper it makes sense that Gagne would be selected before Tanguay. Gagne does a lot of little things that sometimes go unnoticed on the stat sheet. Both are both good players and like many have said Tanguay will most likely get his chance sooner that later but Gagne has been a part of the puzzle that has worked once so I can see why they would keep that piece intact. Just my opnion though.

Good points. Gagne isn't on this squad for his scoring ability. He is very fast and I'm sure will be asked to play more of a defensive role. He can still put the puck in the net or make the important pass as well. He is a good choice for the team.

As for Tanquay, the nation's depth works against him. He'll contribute to many national squads after this tournament. He has a very bright future.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I agree that Tanguay deserves to be on the team. I would take any of either Maltby or Morrow off that team and insert Tanguay. Draper is a good enough checker to have along with Smyth and Doan on the wings. Tanguay's ommision might be because of his softness, much like Kariya. I'd still pick either of them on the team.

FlyHigh

Jan 16, 2004
Gagne is on the team because he is arguably one of the top 5 defensive wingers in the NHL and he can also put the puck in the net consistently when playing with a good playmaking center (see: Alexei Zhamnov). Also probably doesn't hurt that Hitch is an assistant coach.

patfrancis22

Jul 13, 2004
i would take kariya before tanguay. but i do agree with people questioning gagne's pick. kariya and tanguay both do everything gagne does, only a lot better.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Tanguay played AWESOME in regular season and i thought that he will be canada's team for sure but i was suprise that he wasn't..
But that would be boring to have whole canada team full of Colorado aValanche players :) not to me boring of course :)
Sakic,Blake,Foote,Tanguay,Kariya.. Hehe

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Tricolore#20 said:
Yeah, I'd also take Tanguay over Gagne. I don't know why Gagne was still included on Canada, considering the guys who were left off.

Including what P Jiddy said, Gagne can play defense, Tanguay cannot. Tanguay is good because he gets to play with Joe Sakic and Peter Forsberg every night.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
He isnt even in my top 20 forwards. He gets to play with world class players all the time. He is poor defensively. I would pick many players ahead of him.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
bert said:
He isnt even in my top 20 forwards. He gets to play with world class players all the time. He is poor defensively. I would pick many players ahead of him.

Why are u saying he's poorly defensive?
+/- stats were actually DAMN good Tanguay last and this year..

SO..
GO TANGUAY GO!

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
patfrancis22 said:
i would take kariya before tanguay. but i do agree with people questioning gagne's pick. kariya and tanguay both do everything gagne does, only a lot better.
Like hell they do.....Gagne is leagues upon league better defensivly then either of those LW. Gagne is philly's best two way forward by a good margin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad