Proposal: Does a Puljujarvi - Burakovsky swap make sense?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
More appropriately Puljujaarvi is stapled to Ryan Nugent-Hopkins who is nearly a Point-Per-Game player this season while Burakovsky is stapled to Brett Cojly and Lars Eller who have fewer points combined than RNH by himself. But I guess that doesn’t fit your narrative, huh? Face it Puljujarvi is being fed 2ND Line minutes he doesn’t deserve and is getting doubled up by a guy playing on the 3RD/4TH line of a significantly better team. The circumstances are different but one player is clearly WINNING and it’s not Puljujarvi.

You must have missed the part where Puljujarvi is getting 11 minutes a night. When he got a decent look last year (a whole 13 minutes!), he had 12 goals, 10 at even strength, matching at 19 what Burakovsky’s managed at 22 and 23 and he doesn’t have a Carlson to feed him pucks, either. That’s not 2nd line usage in the slightest. Puljujarvi’s most common linemate by a mile the last two seasons is Lucic. He’d kill for Lars Eller on a regular basis, buddy.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
You must have missed the part where Puljujarvi is getting 11 minutes a night. When he got a decent look last year (a whole 13 minutes!), he had 12 goals, 10 at even strength, matching at 19 what Burakovsky’s managed at 22 and 23 and he doesn’t have a Carlson to feed him pucks, either. That’s not 2nd line usage in the slightest. Puljujarvi’s most common linemate by a mile the last two seasons is Lucic. He’d kill for Lars Eller on a regular basis, buddy.

You understand this shit isn’t right, correct? This season alone, Puljujarvi has only spent ~15% of his TOI with Lucic yet has spent ~45% of his TOI with RNH. Puljujarvi is also getting closer to 12min TOI (Burakovsky is actually around 11min) with nearly half a minute of PP time PER GAME and Burakovsky is still DOUBLING his PT Totals. Oh you were talking about last year where Puljujarvi was averaging 0:45 PER GAME on the PP and Oh who was his third most common line mate (forgot to mention that didn’t we) hmmm, I wonder? And despite being pigeon-holed into a cherry situation with one of the greatest players in the game, Burakovsky still outscored him. It’s not a debate dude, every season where they’ve faced somewhat comparable (and often Burakovsky has faced dramatically skewed WORSE) situations Burakovsky’s OVERWHELMINGLY outpacing Puljujarvi. Sometimes hope trumps sense. This is one of those times.

Also you’ve got to be kidding if you think Carlson is feeding Burakovsky anything. For all intents I’m certain a majority of Burakovsky’s PTs (which certainly haven’t come on the PP) haven’t been assisted or scored by John Carlson.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
You understand this **** isn’t right, correct? This season alone, Puljujarvi has only spent ~15% of his TOI with Lucic yet has spent ~45% of his TOI with RNH. Puljujarvi is also getting closer to 12min TOI (Burakovsky is actually around 11min) with nearly half a minute of PP time PER GAME and Burakovsky is still DOUBLING his PT Totals. Oh you were talking about last year where Puljujarvi was averaging 0:45 PER GAME on the PP and Oh who was his third most common line mate (forgot to mention that didn’t we) hmmm, I wonder? And despite being pigeon-holed into a cherry situation with one of the greatest players in the game, Burakovsky still outscored him. It’s not a debate dude, every season where they’ve faced somewhat comparable (and often Burakovsky has faced dramatically skewed WORSE) situations Burakovsky’s OVERWHELMINGLY outpacing Puljujarvi. Sometimes hope trumps sense. This is one of those times.

Also you’ve got to be kidding if you think Carlson is feeding Burakovsky anything. For all intents I’m certain a majority of Burakovsky’s PTs (which certainly haven’t come on the PP) haven’t been assisted or scored by John Carlson.

Just wait and a team will be able to get pulj for a 3rd. This is yak all over!

Last edited:

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
I think threads about Pool party need to end. There's too much emotional attachment from Oiler fans. They still bring up his draft position to justify value.

Oilers should keep him and hope he turns out. The team isn't going anywhere fast. The prospect pool is thin. In fact if anything if there are any teams feeling they have a failing prospect like Duclair for example The Oilers should be taking chances on those players not giving away the known high potential/low current value players of their own.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Ha ha, sure thing bud. There is literally ZERO CHANCE Puljujaarvi becomes anything close to Filip Forsberg. In fact, Burakovsky played internationally for Sweden which is probably closer to being Forsberg than Puljujarvi could ever dream of.
Puljujärvi has a Swedish passport, were you not aware?

Anyway, looks like a bad idea for Oilers. Even if Puljujärvi is a bust, at least he's not a bust getting paid 3mil.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Puljujärvi has a Swedish passport, were you not aware?

Anyway, looks like a bad idea for Oilers. Even if Puljujärvi is a bust, at least he's not a bust getting paid 3mil.
Did you miss the part where Alex Chiasson is the Oilers FOURTH leading scorer and Burakovsky would be FIFTH? Seems like they could do worse than that BUST even for $3M. How much are they paying Lucic again?

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
The real cup final last year no disrespect to Vegas but Burakovsky showed up big time in big games vs Tampa and Pittsburgh in that cup run. That’s the guy I’d rather have. We may never know about JP in big games.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
The real cup final last year no disrespect to Vegas but Burakovsky showed up big time in big games vs Tampa and Pittsburgh in that cup run. That’s the guy I’d rather have. We may never know about JP in big games.
I mean we’ve seen quite a decent sample size of him in MEDIUM games and there’s not much to write home about.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->