Proposal: Does a Puljujarvi - Burakovsky swap make sense?

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
Done from the Caps POV. We can send him down to the AHL for the rest of the year, save cap space for the TDL, and let him develop him for the next season. EDM gets McDavid’s junior linemate. I do think the Caps would have to include a draft pick, though.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Andre Burakovsky has a $3m qualifying offer.

He holds no value to the Oilers because it's likely he'll be available as a UFA. So no, the trade doesn't make sense.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Burakovsky has been good this month and seems to be finding his groove, him for Puljujarvi detracts from the cup run. There'd need to be some 3rd acquisition taking Burakovsky's spot with Puljujarvi either shipped out for it or sent down to make room.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
If Burakovsky has trouble buying into the Stanley Cup Champion's culture, imagine he'd have a tough time having success in Edmonton.

Not if he gets top 6 icetime with McDavid/RNH/Drasaitl, Skinner did alright for himself in Buffalo and Chiasson did pretty well in Edmonton after being let go by the same cup champion. Edmonton doesn't have a single speedy sniping winger other than Drasaitl converted to W so Burakovsky would be getting as much opportunity as he could anywhere else.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
It would if Burakovsky wasn't guarantee'd so much. The Oilers biggest hurdle going forward is going to be ridding itself of cap.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
For the Caps it could.

But Burakovsky would be overpaid af and a complete flop in Edmonton.
Ha ha, sure thing bud. There is literally ZERO CHANCE Puljujaarvi becomes anything close to Filip Forsberg. In fact, Burakovsky played internationally for Sweden which is probably closer to being Forsberg than Puljujarvi could ever dream of.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
I would've traded Cagguila for Burkovsky but not Puljujarvi.
I’m sure you would have.

Here’s something humorous, Burakovsky would currently be the Oilers FIFTH highest scoring Forward. And I thought he was having a bad year. That’s solid 2nd line production in EDM.

typicalsavage

Oct 31, 2018
I’m sure you would have.

Here’s something humorous, Burakovsky would currently be the Oilers FIFTH highest scoring Forward. And I thought he was having a bad year. That’s solid 2nd line production in EDM.

Burakovsky has a 3M qualifying offer that he's obviously not worth. I never said he was a bad player. I would've traded Puljujarvi for Strome or Nylander, another guy in the same boat. I don't know why youre getting so defensive.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I’m sure you would have.

Nobody is giving you anything for Burakovksy, bud. You’re going to get nothing for him and be stuck either qualifying him at an absurd amount or walking away.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Nobody is giving you anything for Burakovksy, bud. You’re going to get nothing for him and be stuck either qualifying him at an absurd amount or walking away.
That’s a better problem to have than drafting a straight BUST 4th overall not more than 4 years after drafting a BUST 1st overall. What do you think somebody is going to give you for Puljujaarvi who is, quite clearly, a worse player than Burakovsky today?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
That’s a better problem to have than drafting a straight BUST 4th overall not more than 4 years after drafting a BUST 1st overall. What do you think somebody is going to give you for Puljujaarvi who is, quite clearly, a worse player than Burakovsly today?

I’d take a 20 year old 4th overall with some issues to work out 100 times out of 100 over a 24 year old making 3 million that looks like a flaming dumpster 19 games out of every 20 and yet is given chance after chance after chance to prove he’s worth keeping around. Guy’s gotten progressively worse every year he’s been in the league.

I wouldn’t take Burakovsky for free.

Reactions: Homesick

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
I’d take a 20 year old 4th overall with some issues to work out 100 times out of 100 over a 24 year old making 3 million that looks like a flaming dumpster 19 games out of every 20 and yet is given chance after chance after chance to prove he’s worth keeping around. Guy’s gotten progressively worse every year he’s been in the league.

I wouldn’t take Burakovsky for free.
You can keep living on the hope of Puljujaarvi. I mean Oiler fans have to burn something to stay warm and have to find hope anywhere they can, God knows it’s not on the ice.

The facts are Burakovsky, for all the lamentation, has outscored Puljujaarvi significantly both seasons the two have been in the league. Sure Burakovsky’s points are down this season, how’s his ice-time? His linemates? Can you even name them? I wonder if that might not have something to do with it?

You make so much of the “chance” Burakovsky has been given whereas Puljujarvi apparently has more to show. Puljujarvi is playing almost a minute more in aggregate TOI than Burt this season and Burakovsky is nearly doubling him up in points and Burt’s linemates are likely significantly worse. It’s absolutley nonsensical to suggest Burakovsky is squandering some great “chance” yet Puljujarvi just needs more time. Face it Puljujarvi is a BUST.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
You can keep living on the hope of Puljujaarvi. I mean Oiler fans have to burn something to stay warm and have to find hope anywhere they can, God knows it’s not on the ice.

The facts are Burakovsky, for all the lamentation, has outscored Puljujaarvi significantly both seasons the two have been in the league. Sure Burakovsky’s points are down this season, how’s his ice-time? His linemates? Can you even name them? I wonder if that might not have something to do with it?

You make so much of the “chance” Burakovsky has been given whereas Puljujarvi apparently has more to show. Puljujarvi is playing almost a minute more in aggregate TOI than Burt this season and Burakovsky is nearly doubling him up in points and Burt’s linemates are likely significantly worse. It’s absolutley nonsensical to suggest Burakovsky is squandering some great “chance” yet Puljujarvi just needs more time. Face it Puljujarvi is a BUST.

17 points in 55 games on a Cup contender with better linemates than Puljujarvi has gotten all year? Poor kid how does he survive? Wonder how he’d do stapled to Lucic like Puljujarvi gets?

Tell you what if Puljujarvi is as overpaid and ineffective at 24 as Burakovksy is, he’s a bust. Now? You just look foolish. We’ll definitely be qualifying him, can you say the same about your guy? I’m not signing up to pay him that much next year. Nobody is. He’ll be a UFA. Jury’s out if he even gets signed. Maybe at a massive discount like Justin Schultz did.

Putting BUST in caps doesn’t make you look any more intelligent, for the record.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
17 points in 55 games on a Cup contender with better linemates than Puljujarvi has gotten all year? Poor kid how does he survive? Wonder how he’d do stapled to Lucic like Puljujarvi gets?

Tell you what if Puljujarvi is as overpaid and ineffective at 24 as Burakovksy is, he’s a bust. Now? You just look foolish. We’ll definitely be qualifying him, can you say the same about your guy? I’m not signing up to pay him that much next year. Nobody is. He’ll be a UFA. Jury’s out if he even gets signed. Maybe at a massive discount like Justin Schultz did.

Putting BUST in caps doesn’t make you look any more intelligent, for the record.
More appropriately Puljujaarvi is stapled to Ryan Nugent-Hopkins who is nearly a Point-Per-Game player this season while Burakovsky is stapled to Brett Cojly and Lars Eller who have fewer points combined than RNH by himself. But I guess that doesn’t fit your narrative, huh? Face it Puljujarvi is being fed 2ND Line minutes he doesn’t deserve and is getting doubled up by a guy playing on the 3RD/4TH line of a significantly better team. The circumstances are different but one player is clearly WINNING and it’s not Puljujarvi.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->