Does a Cup Win/Conn Smyth make Ovechkin a top 10 player of all time?

OV Top 10 player all time

• Total voters

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Gretzky
Lemieux
Orr
Howe
Messier
Richard
Crosby

Tough to put Ovy ahead of those guys, but then I think there are solid arguments for Ovy over anyone else. For Esposito, his contemporaries were Hull, Howe, Orr - did he spend as much time as a top 3 player as Ovy? Similar comparisons for Lidstrom, Roy, and Bourque.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Gretzky
Lemieux
Orr
Howe
Messier
Richard
Crosby

Tough to put Ovy ahead of those guys, but then I think there are solid arguments for Ovy over anyone else. For Esposito, his contemporaries were Hull, Howe, Orr - did he spend as much time as a top 3 player as Ovy? Similar comparisons for Lidstrom, Roy, and Bourque.

One of those guys isn't like the other...Although his leadership is second to none.

He's already better than Crosby too

Reactions: Zuluss

Lauro

Charlie Conacher
Jun 28, 2008
Berlin
Gretzky
Lemieux
Orr
Howe
Messier
Richard
Crosby

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Reactions: bambamcam4ever

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Gretzky gets traded he wins another cup, he gets traded from the dominant team in sports to a team that didn't break 85 points in a decade and hadn't won a cup in 50 years and he wins another cup. Best player on 2 champions in his prime, running mate to Gretzky on 4 more championship teams, I don't know who is in anyone else's list but I'd take Messier over Jagr in the playoffs at the same age at any age.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
No, but damn close.

Gretz
Orr
Mario
Howe
Hull
Crosby
Beliveau
Richard
Harvey
Jagr

Hasek
Morenz
Bourque
Ovie
Mikita
Roy
Lidstrom
Shore
Messier
etc

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Gretzky gets traded he wins another cup, he gets traded from the dominant team in sports to a team that didn't break 85 points in a decade and hadn't won a cup in 50 years and he wins another cup. Best player on 2 champions in his prime, running mate to Gretzky on 4 more championship teams, I don't know who is in anyone else's list but I'd take Messier over Jagr in the playoffs at the same age at any age.

0 scoring titles

Reactions: Lauro

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
IMO he is already THE best goal scorer of all time. I see very little reason he wouldn't at least be in the conversation.

Reactions: COHawk and MC2D

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
For me, he's just on the outside looking in. Definitely one of the top goal scorers of all time, but within that top 10-15, there are players that had a more complete game.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
Messier is borderline top 10...certainly ahead of Jagr.

Ovechkin... Lets wait a little longer

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Gretzky
Lemieux
Orr
Howe
Messier
Richard
Crosby

Change Mess for Beliveau

Reactions: Lauro

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Similar peak, similar prime, similar individual hardware.. But OV has the best playoff run and still has time to add. Maybe I should have said will surpass if he doesn't fall off a cliff.

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
What happened to the idea that Malkin > Ovechkin? That seemed to be a notion with some support last year (not to say I agree or agreed with it).

What about really old school guys like Joe Malone and Cy Denneny?

Reactions: Plural

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
What happened to the idea that Malkin > Ovechkin? That seemed to be a notion with some support last year (not to say I agree or agreed with it).

What about really old school guys like Joe Malone and Cy Denneny?

Malkin>OV was only supported by extremely biased pens fans and/or OV haters. OV beats him for peak, extended peak, prime, tears him a new one in awards. Only thing Malkin has is cups and that doesn't really matter when the rest of the argument isn't close.

Reactions: Voight and Plural

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
No but I believe it solidifies his place as the greatest goal scorer of all time.

bobbyking

May 29, 2018
Why? Hull still has more years as an elite player and was better relative to the league in his best years
Wasn't hull in a league where he was the only one using a banana curve ? Full of expansion garbage?

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Wasn't hull in a league where he was the only one using a banana curve ? Full of expansion garbage?

Curved blades go back further than Hull, and while he and Mikita are usually credited for starting the trend in the 60's he wasn't the only one. A banana blade also has its cons and no one else was prevented from using one until the league limited the amount if curve.

As for expansion, it didn't happen until Hull was 29 and already had the bulk of his awards.

Lauro

Charlie Conacher
Jun 28, 2008
Berlin

He's not even in the Top 25!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad