does 10+ mill in cap space equal trade deadline intrigue?

Provorov4Norris

Sep 28, 2017
They won’t give up the assets it will cost to acquire for a playoff rental and risk losing the player.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Nah it just means we will be able to afford to re-sign our RFAs when the time comes; rather than being forced to let them walk. There wont be any BIG deadline trades until we have Cup-calibre goaltending (unless the trade itself is for a goalie).

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It means we can go after an expiring contract that a noncontender wants to dump to save money.
Ron doesn't believe in chasing "names," he's not a poster on a hockey message board.
And he's certainly not going to give up major assets for the privilege of overpaying a "star" for his 32-35 year old seasons.

Both the Giroux and Voracek contracts expire in their 34 year old year.
The JVR contract ends when he's 33.
See a trend there?
He wouldn't give out a 3 year contract to land a center in free agency.

Reactions: Pantokrator

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
I think this years 1st+ could absolutely be in play at the deadline this year. With the cupboard finally full moves can be made if the right deal becomes available. I don't see hexxy parting with any of the really shiny toys though. First rounder and a prospect ranked 10-20 definitely but not the major assets it would take to get karlson

Provorov4Norris

Sep 28, 2017
I think this years 1st+ could absolutely be in play at the deadline this year. With the cupboard finally full moves can be made if the right deal becomes available. I don't see hexxy parting with any of the really shiny toys though. First rounder and a prospect ranked 10-20 definitely but not the major assets it would take to get karlson

I don't see that at all. It basically goes against everything he's said for the lasts 5 years unless it's a player that's younger and signed longer term. He's not going to give a 1st for rental unless the Flyers are one player away from possibly winning the cup, which isn't the case with this team.

Reactions: RespectTheProvorov

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hopefully an upgrade over Filppula, Filppula was a no cost depth addition (we got slightly better draft picks by taking his salary), but he was definitely close to the end.
But one impact of long-term FA contracts is every year there should be solid players who are overpaid for their last two years but who can still contribute (i.e. someone getting $7M for $4-5M performance) that a team wants to dump to free up cap room.

Reactions: Pantokrator

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Nah it just means we will be able to afford to re-sign our RFAs when the time comes; rather than being forced to let them walk. There wont be any BIG deadline trades until we have Cup-calibre goaltending (unless the trade itself is for a goalie).

The model is being good and then freaking out and losing assets to become really good. We could really change that model here and become sustainable.

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
It means we can go after an expiring contract that a noncontender wants to dump to save money.
Ron doesn't believe in chasing "names," he's not a poster on a hockey message board.
And he's certainly not going to give up major assets for the privilege of overpaying a "star" for his 32-35 year old seasons.

Both the Giroux and Voracek contracts expire in their 34 year old year.
The JVR contract ends when he's 33.
See a trend there?
He wouldn't give out a 3 year contract to land a center in free agency.

That is what I am hoping for. I want the Flyers to take on a salary dump that expires at the end of the season and get a draft pick in the process. There will be teams going all in for the Cup, and if we can help them have cap space and get a pick, I am all for it.

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
Maybe Hextall can collect prospects/picks by taking a one year bad contract off of a team that need cap space at the TDL. Very short term obviously.

Is NSH ready to move on from Rinne? Has he lost the faith of the team? 1yr $7MM left on his contract. Brian Elliot for Rinne?

Maybe Rinne has a good year on a team that is good but not expected to win the cup. Flyers get a pick/prospect so NSH has cap space for moves at the TDL.

Just spit ballin’.

briererocks

Nov 23, 2011
That is what I am hoping for. I want the Flyers to take on a salary dump that expires at the end of the season and get a draft pick in the process. There will be teams going all in for the Cup, and if we can help them have cap space and get a pick, I am all for it.

I disagree. We have a deep pool. I hope we try to add a young guy we can sign long term like a Panarin, Skinner, Stone, Trouba etc.. Our pool is very deep. We should try to make a run. After this season, Giroux is only signed for 3 more years and is already getting on the wrong side of his prime.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I disagree. We have a deep pool. I hope we try to add a young guy we can sign long term like a Panarin, Skinner, Stone, Trouba etc.. Our pool is very deep. We should try to make a run. After this season, Giroux is only signed for 3 more years and is already getting on the wrong side of his prime.
He scored 102 points and was 2nd in the entire league in scoring.

Clearly he's not on the wrong side of his prime.

Reactions: kelmitchell

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'd rather sign our own RFAs to long-term deals than sign UFAs in their late 20s to overpriced deals that run to 35.
That's why Ron was willing to slightly overpay JVR, his deal only goes to 33 years old.
As the league gets faster, look for many players to age faster, as the lost of a stride becomes more apparent (see Read, Filppula).
So avoiding those out years becomes more important if you want to sustain a competitive team.

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama

What I am saying would not preclude this (unless you mean for this season). If we had just a salary dump from the Trade deadline until the end of the season, we would have all that cap space at the end of the season.

However, I am usually against signing big name UFAs on principle. I usually don't see big name UFAs as a good thing - I see almost all big name signings as killing cap flexibility and preventing teams from signing their own players. That's is just my view. I think I am usually against signing UFAs because teams always overpay because of competition. I think is might be because I saw Holmgren make so many bad UFA signings that killed our depth and salary cap.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Wayyyy too early to think about that but if they are in contention and there are big names available I think yes absolutely it does.

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
I think this years 1st+ could absolutely be in play at the deadline this year.

I don't think I will believe Hextall is able to part with a 1st round pick before I see it with my own eyes. He loves them like his children (not that I'm complaining).

I think we will have to be at the really right juncture of being competitive with the right player available before it happens. Otherwise he wants to keep stocking on the high end in perpetuity (again, not that I'm complaining).

Reactions: BernieParent

gertbfrobe16

Feb 3, 2018
depending on how things play out i can see some being traded at the deadline to make room for younger guys and to add a player of need. gudas farmer wheel raffle are my guess for players we might trade.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
The way Hextall has talked about 1st rd picks, I don't see him trading one away unless it was for a non-rental that filled a hole. As part of a deal for Trouba....sure. As part of a deal for Tyler Myers....no.

This is the same GM who didn't want to lose Weal and Leier thru waivers. And with how we have been picking in the 1st rd, he knows the value of having them.

We have enough "depth" prospects that won't ever make our team due to available spots, where he still has lots of ammo to get a deal done.

If Frost is deemed "not ready" in Sept/Oct, I could see him making a deal for a fill in and trading away a lil depth.

Pageau is someone I would like to see them look into if Frost is not ready as long as the cost is not a 1st like some of their fans think it is.

Last edited:
Reactions: BernieParent

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
What I am saying would not preclude this (unless you mean for this season). If we had just a salary dump from the Trade deadline until the end of the season, we would have all that cap space at the end of the season.

However, I am usually against signing big name UFAs on principle. I usually don't see big name UFAs as a good thing - I see almost all big name signings as killing cap flexibility and preventing teams from signing their own players. That's is just my view. I think I am usually against signing UFAs because teams always overpay because of competition. I think is might be because I saw Holmgren make so many bad UFA signings that killed our depth and salary cap.

Another reason to be wary of big UFA signings is team chemistry.

If you have a deep talent pool like the Flyers, they play together in the AHL, then on the team a few years, if you sign a big UFA, often times they're "strangers" who are coming for the money and there can be resentment inside the clubhouse, and even more if signing that FA means letting well liked players go, or not resigning players who have "earned" their spot.

You also have much better information about the character of your own players when you extend them than about free agents, and how they'll react after they get their big, guaranteed payday.

Which is not to say never sign a UFA, but pick your spots - one reason I think they went after JVR was he was a known quantity and the leaders in the clubhouse could vouch for him - and a 5 year team was far less risky than a 7 year term.

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
Here is a useless comment, but it is summer...

Once Toronto signs Nylander, the Flyers will have the 5th lowest salary in the league. And of those 5 lowest teams, 4 are from the Flyers division. Not sure what to make of that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->