Document about Sovjet Union Hockey.. and how they were better than anyone ever played.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
This is our stuff...

...we have benefited most of best Russian players ever.....

.... I think it's our identity.

I think Detrot Red Wings should always play with Russian style, with skill, with some extraordinary skill that others won't have. It was systematic, but there was always those guys with skill who did complete it perfectly.

That's my love for Red Wings, the skill above everybody and that psysicality to face abovy anybody us.

Last edited:
Reactions: CaptainZetterberg40

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Puck Possession is certainly my favorite style, however with parity, it's doubtful we'll see another Russian 5 of any nationality, or utter dominance of a 5 man unit over an extended period of time. Seeing the 1980 Olympics was what turned me from a hockey fan to a Hardcore Hockey fan. The Soviets were the best from ~ '52-'89...winning 32 of 37 Gold Medals, 2-3 Silvers, 1 Bronze & 1 DNQ iirc. No other team in any sport, pro/college/amateur can make such a claim. Anatoli Tarasov was the Man!

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
As an European - No Russian hater - or lover - I always saw Russian players as equal guys be in NHL.

1987 was the prove.

Juat wahtch the game.

Watch the game and come back to say that wasn't most enterntianing ever

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
As an European - No Russian hater - or lover - I always saw Russian players as equal guys be in NHL.

1987 was the prove.

Juat wahtch the game.

Watch the game and come back to say that wasn't most enterntianing ever

link doesn't work...Is it the '87 Canada Cup ( 3 OT games, all ending 6-5)...Canada comes back after losing gm.1, then win gm.2, then trail gm.3 & win in OT...Lemieux scores, from Gretzky & our own Larry Murphy iirc! Probably the greatest tournament ever.

upload_2018-12-24_17-13-40.png

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Interesting, thanks for the video.

As DATS said, we aren't likely to see such dominance again. I didn't realize the army guys trained 300 days a year, and that was from morning to night. They played on the same lines since childhood. A life of dedication like that is becoming a rare thing in modern society. People value their free time. Larionov (and Fetisov) couldn't take it anymore, the pressure and drudgery, all while dealing with Tikhinov's verbal abuse. The players were fracturing like the Soviet Union itself.

I like the history from the Canadian perspective too, was intrigued by that documentary about the '72 series. It's always been a miracle that a nation with so small a population could produce that many great players. A bunch of 1/2 drunk hosers taking on the entire Russian machine is impressive haha. It really was a battle of ideologies- communism vs. capitalism, and the greatest hockey rivalry of the 20th century.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Puck Possession is certainly my favorite style, however with parity, it's doubtful we'll see another Russian 5 of any nationality, or utter dominance of a 5 man unit over an extended period of time. Seeing the 1980 Olympics was what turned me from a hockey fan to a Hardcore Hockey fan. The Soviets were the best from ~ '52-'89...winning 32 of 37 Gold Medals, 2-3 Silvers, 1 Bronze & 1 DNQ iirc. No other team in any sport, pro/college/amateur can make such a claim. Anatoli Tarasov was the Man!

I dont think the soviets were the best from 52-89. They were the best "amateur" team in the sense that they were clearly a professional team operating under the guise of being amateur. If you put NHL players into those tournaments they definitely arent winning 32 of 37. They would've won their fair share definitely but if I had to guess, the Canadians still would've edged them out slightly with the USSR being clearly ahead of anyone else besides Canada at that time. They may have even went around 50-50 with Canada but they wouldnt have been that dominant.

Reactions: hkydave04

pz29

Jun 18, 2015
This is our stuff...

...we have benefited most of best Russian players ever.....

.... I think it's our identity.

I think Detrot Red Wings should always play with Russian style, with skill, with some extraordinary skill that others won't have. It was systematic, but there was always those guys with skill who did complete it perfectly.

That's my love for Red Wings, the skill above everybody and that psysicality to face abovy anybody us.
Agreed. Not from Detroit, never even been to detrDet, except to the airport, but became a red wing fan in the 90s because of their style of play, so similar to the soviet teams I watched while growing up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad