TV: Doctor Who series/season 14: 60th Anniversary teaser trailer

Say Hey Kid

Bathory
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Very pretentious episode. I used to live in London and everyone doesn't know about Rosa Parks. This show hasn't been good since Tennant. I'm done.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Probably gonna come in here every week and just say how much I love Jodie. I think they're not letting the "heavy" moments hit as hard as they need to, though.

Last week, when they all realized that they were going to be entrenched in history as passengers on the bus that didn't help Rosa, they needed to hit that harder. It was too fleeting. This week, the same, where the not-Trump guy shot the spider. It didn't hit as hard as it needed to in terms of being the "heavy" moment of the episode. It's a nitpick, but, something I hope they clear up. Jodie has the range to make those scenes work.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Spiders... Why did it have to spiders? I hate spiders!

Decent episode considering the expectations. I still wonder how they got Chris Noth for this episode? Is he a fan?

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Damn... That was heavy.

Think it's also fair to point out that my critique of not letting the heavy moments hit hard enough was totally blown out of the water by this week's episode. I hope that is the norm going forward. Every moment in this episode that hit-heavy was well done.

The flashback to the war, seeing his brother.
Jodie finding out just what the 'demons' are, not assassins, but mourners.
The scenes with Prem holding the line and his brother with the enemy.

Good ep. Really good.

Last edited:

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
I've been quite happy with how the show has used real life moments for two episodes so far. It certainly gives the show a more grounded feel compared to the Moffat era where Earth was often just another set piece.

The tone too of the show is something I've enjoyed so far. It's a mix of humor but also emotion. I felt more moved by the death of Ryan's Gran than I did for Danny Pink despite there being multiple episodes spent on Danny while Ryan's Gran had less than an episode.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Knew pretty quickly it was the system that sent the HELP ME, and not a human. Didn't have the second twist about who was behind it and why, though. Was an interesting play on the usual storyline.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
'Doctor Who': Jodie Whittaker, Chris Chibnall Rumored to Exit in 2019

rumours started last week on reddit and galifrey web forum that there was problems and that both the show runner and star may leave

while the the show here in the UK has not tanked in the ratings--some of the die hard fans are unhappy at the constant social commentary that is going on nearly every episode and one former doctor said "WE always had social commentary, but we were more subtle with it"

Last edited:

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Chibmall doesn't hold back when it comes to the issue of death. I've noticed more character deaths this season compared to previous years. Like Dan for instance, his back story was something that was relatable and then next thing hes gone.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
this week's episode was bad. And unfortunately it's poorly timed to kind of end up being what those (mostly overblown) complaints about the show this season embodied. They spent like 50 minutes railing about prejudices and the backwards-ness of literal witch-hunts and the hypocrisy of the two human "villains" before they got to the actual sci-fi aliens element of the story with only like 12-15 minutes remaining.

For that I don't blame any sort of "social agenda" or political moralizing or whatnot. I just blame lazy/bad writing.

What a waste of Alan Cumming (and whatever the hell kind of accent he was going for. It wasn't his proper Scottish, but it wasn't quite English. It was just... there.)

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
this week's episode was bad. And unfortunately it's poorly timed to kind of end up being what those (mostly overblown) complaints about the show this season embodied. They spent like 50 minutes railing about prejudices and the backwards-ness of literal witch-hunts and the hypocrisy of the two human "villains" before they got to the actual sci-fi aliens element of the story with only like 12-15 minutes remaining.

For that I don't blame any sort of "social agenda" or political moralizing or whatnot. I just blame lazy/bad writing.

What a waste of Alan Cumming (and whatever the hell kind of accent he was going for. It wasn't his proper Scottish, but it wasn't quite English. It was just... there.)

gotta agree

last weeks episode was pretty good--but this weeks was BLAH!!!

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Yeah, not great. The editing on this episode seemed kind of... unfinished? A lot of weird cuts. The scene where The Doctor was chained up and talking to King James and then like mid-convo it goes back to the companions for a split second following the Morax and then back to The Doctor and King James.

Probably the weakest of the season. The Morax could've been more fleshed out.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
I liked the new Doctor. It's nice they're going a little more upbeat/fun after Capaldi's relatively serious version. I'm a little unsure if they're going to be able to properly handle having 3 companions at once without sacrificing the ability to really build them up and connect to them. Also I did think that the little speech she gave on the crane about new and different things was kind of ham-fisted and on the nose.

But overall a good start.

I did laugh at the end with the "coming soon" look at all the guest stars and I knew exactly two of them :laugh:

It worked okay with Tegan, Nyssa, and Adric, so you never know. At least for a little while....

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I liked this episode more than the last one. The blind actress, Ellie Wallwork was really good. Funny how Ryan was right in that her dad did leave her. Also interesting how they just reversed all the footage from the mirror universe.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
No lie, no exaggeration, that would've been one of my favorite episodes of all-time except for...

The frog. What a missed opportunity. They could've rehashed ANYONE from The Doctors past, and made that scene incredibly emotional and had a major impact, but they decide to go with a frog, a throwaway new item we learn about Grace from this episode. Imagine instead it's Amy or Rose. I suppose the logistics of making that work with the actors probably is more difficult than I like to imagine, but DAMN, imagine that.

Agree with you, @Jussi, Wallwork was great as Hanne, and I also loved the footage being reversed in the mirror world as well.

Also thought Jodie knocked this episode out of the park, at least until the thing that I spoiled above, in which case not even Daniel Day Lewis could've acted his way out of that. Despite it, fantastic rebound after last week's stinker.

Oh also, this killed me...

Assume her dad is dead.
Keep her safe.
Find out who else can take care of her

Last edited:

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Well that was a good episode. Very intense and exciting. I wonder if we'll see the Stenza anymore this season or next.
This season is over, no? Or are we counting the episode on New Years day as part of Series 11? In terms of being a season finale, it was kind of terrible, but it's not the fault of the episode itself, it's the fault of how the season was run.

What a weird, weird season. No story arch, really, besides the Tim Shaw callback. Loving Jodie. Let's give her more to work with. The three companions also didn't annoy me as much towards the end, it all kind of works on that front, I guess.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad