TV: Doctor Who series/season 14: 60th Anniversary teaser trailer

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I liked the new Doctor. It's nice they're going a little more upbeat/fun after Capaldi's relatively serious version. I'm a little unsure if they're going to be able to properly handle having 3 companions at once without sacrificing the ability to really build them up and connect to them. Also I did think that the little speech she gave on the crane about new and different things was kind of ham-fisted and on the nose.

But overall a good start.

I did laugh at the end with the "coming soon" look at all the guest stars and I knew exactly two of them :laugh:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I liked the new Doctor. It's nice they're going a little more upbeat/fun after Capaldi's relatively serious version. I'm a little unsure if they're going to be able to properly handle having 3 companions at once without sacrificing the ability to really build them up and connect to them. Also I did think that the little speech she gave on the crane about new and different things was kind of ham-fisted and on the nose.

But overall a good start.

I did laugh at the end with the "coming soon" look at all the guest stars and I knew exactly two of them :laugh:

My episode cut off just before the credits began to roll so I didn't see athe promo for the next episdoe nor the Coming Soon bit but I watched both at Youtube. I recognized Mark Addy, Alan Cumming(yay, no longer censored!), Art Malik and Chris Noth.

Last edited:

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
My episode cut off just before the credits began to roll so I didn't see athe promo for the next episdoe nor the Coming Soon bit but I watched both at Youtube. I recognized Mark Addy, Alan Cumming(yay, no longer censored!), Art Malik and Chris Noth.

My recording must've cut off before the end of the guest cast list because I didn't see Chris Noth. I only had recognized Mark Addy and Alan Cumming (who was the last person shown before my recording stopped, so I ended up only recognizing the first and last people I saw. :laugh:)

Now that I checked IMDB, I do recognize Art Malik, though I wouldn't have known him by name.

Say Hey Kid

Under the Sign of the Black Mark
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory
... I'm a little unsure if they're going to be able to properly handle having 3 companions at once without sacrificing the ability to really build them up and connect to them. ...
Good point. Less is more due to better characterization.

Mimsy

Mar 21, 2015
I thought the episode was a bit flat and agree that there are too many companions. Jodie Whittaker brings a lot of energy to the role and has good comedic instincts. I'm already sold on her as the new Doctor. Were I choosing a single companion, I'd probably take the police officer. I'm hoping for a couple of strong one-off episodes to get a better feel for the new group. Whittaker doesn't seem like she'll need much support (or dead weight). Hope this clicks.

I like that they introduced a new villain, if only for the week. He was another predator-type rehash, but also a temporary relief from cybermen and Daleks.

The reworked theme for the closing credits seems more retro than the last few. Good vibe. I don't think I've seen the new TARDIS design in any previews. It seems they'll introduce it quickly next episode, considering where this one left off.

If I were watching Who for the first time, this episode wouldn't have moved the needle. Still, it's Who, and so I'll watch everything and likely pick up the complete series after Whittaker leaves. Hopefully, Chibnall knows what he's doing.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Too many companion

Found the comment

"Been awhile since I shopped for women's clothes"

A direct confirmation that we have another missing doctor

This first doctor had a daughter originally to start. I assumed that's what she was talking about. I don't see at all how that was confirmation of a "missing" doctor.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
This first doctor had a daughter originally to start. I assumed that's what she was talking about. I don't see at all how that was confirmation of a "missing" doctor.

goes back to a few subtle hints

Missy

"I have know him see he was a wee little girls"

The theory is that there are two time lines for Doctors

one for when male and second when female

not digging the new open credits

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Vibe is so different from the Capaldi Doctor, which is obviously the point, but I'm digging Jodie so far. Suspected I would, and happy to see that pay off. Agree that three companions is too many. It's okay so far, since it's early, but I think it might get tired.

Mimsy

Mar 21, 2015
"Ghost Monument" was an okay episode. First act was slow, but it picked up in the middle, thanks in large part to the location shooting in South Africa and a steady performance from Whittaker. Doctor Who is often better when it films anywhere other than generic factory doubling as alien ship/planet (even though there was a bit of that here). TARDIS redesign is fine.

The first two episodes are passable, but I'm hoping for some stronger material going forward.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Well I enjoyed the third episode as well, more than I thought I would given that it revolves around an historic event.

Really liking the new intro, it's both retro and modern at the same time:

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
I thought the third episode was the best so far. Seemed more traditional Doctor Who in some ways. I do think Jodie Whittaker is better than the material she’s being given. Too much companions, not enough Doctor.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I thought the third episode was the best so far. Seemed more traditional Doctor Who in some ways. I do think Jodie Whittaker is better than the material she’s being given. Too much companions, not enough Doctor.

I think last episode evidenced the whole point of the group, when the Doctor said "we'll do it together". They're more or less a portrait of a family, society and mankind. Young and old, men and women, different ethnic groups all working together. If they keep working together well, the suspense is when things suddenly don't work ans something unexpected happens.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->